Kaepernick and the National Anthem

As for the Buffalo Bills 10 - 15K of the fans are from Canada, of the remaining 58K that are likely Americans a great number can't be bothered to remove their hats, stop talking, texting, taking photos, going on beer runs etc... What's the difference between any of this and a guy sitting down?

None of them are subsequently claiming to be making a "protest statement" while they are ignoring the Anthem.

Kaep spoke about it for 18 minutes today. Answered all questions asked of him.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-much-much/

Wow, that was quite an interview. Agree or disagree with Kaep re the issue of police brutality, there is no question that he is taking a principled stand on a controversial issue, with little concern for the personal consequences. I kinda think it's an admirable and courageous thing to do.

And his comments about the presidential race are interesting--and somewhat surprising

Kaep spoke about it for 18 minutes today. Answered all questions asked of him.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-much-much/

I'm still waiting for the evidence that police are unjustifiably killing minorities. Not saying it doesn't ever happen but has there been a case of this since the big uproar of a year or two ago?

I'm still waiting for the evidence that police are unjustifiably killing minorities. Not saying it doesn't ever happen but has there been a case of this since the big uproar of a year or two ago?

That's where I am as well...there's zero evidence that the issue of police brutality is unique to any race--it's pretty much distributed (statistically) in proportion to the general population

Expressing his POV is what we call freedom in this great country. If you want him to adhere to only expressions of love, then maybe you should try out North Korea to see how you like it there.

what a horrible argument you even try to make. Because someone questions his freedom of speech you question their freedom of speech. That's not how it works. This logic you display creates safe spaces

That's where I am as well...there's zero evidence that the issue of police brutality is unique to any race--it's pretty much distributed (statistically) in proportion to the general population

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias

I'm not sure if this is true or not (I doubt it), but I think an equally important issue is the perception that cops who unjustifiably kill or brutalize black or minority suspects tend not to be held accountable. That's frequently what leads to unrest.

Thanks for the link, but there's no control for causality in many of those studies.

The only recent one I've seen with control for causality is this one, which shows that minorities are more likely to be treated aggressively, but less likely to be victim to shooting or deadly force:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1850103681877746&id=1452262631661855&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Frealnflnewsandupdates%2Fvideos%2F1850103681877746%2F&_rdr

I'm not sure if this is true or not (I doubt it), but I think an equally important issue is the perception that cops who unjustifiably kill or brutalize black or minority suspects tend not to be held accountable. That's frequently what leads to unrest.

Taken on a case-by-case basis, the investigations have mostly been fair IMO.

The sensationalizing of it is what causes issues IMO.

The attached link is the same link that I used in a previous response to this topic. I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you that all communities are treated the same by the police. The Department of Justice recently did an extensive investigation of the Baltimore Police Department. Their condemning conclusions can be found in the link. This is the type of police behavior that CK was addressing with his controversial stance when the National Anthem was played.

http://www.vox.com/2...partment-report

What was the racial makeup of the cops who killed Garner? Freddy Gray? The Garner case was brought to a grand jury which, based on evidence and witnesses, did not indict.

The Freddy Gray cops--all 6 were charged with various crimes (one for murder). There were acquitted and the charges were subsequently dropped against the other three.

These may not be the consequences Kaepernick wished for, but they were put through the legal system, not simply ignored.

What was the racial makeup of the cops who killed Garner? Freddy Gray? The Garner case was brought to a grand jury which, based on evidence and witnesses, did not indict.

The Freddy Gray cops--all 6 were charged with various crimes (one for murder). There were acquitted and the charges were subsequently dropped against the other three.

These may not be the consequences Kaepernick wished for, but they were put through the legal system, not simply ignored.

I did not say I agreed or disagreed with Kaep on the underlying issue. Frankly, I haven't studied it that closely and I think there are plenty of other issues he perhaps should have chosen to take a stand on. To me, what's important is that he has taken a principled public stance on a highly controversial issue, without regard to the personal consequences to himself. Contrast that with OJ, for example...

The attached link is the same link that I used in a previous response to this topic. I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you that all communities are treated the same by the police. The Department of Justice recently did an extensive investigation of the Baltimore Police Department. Their condemning conclusions can be found in the link. This is the type of police behavior that CK was addressing with his controversial stance when the National Anthem was played.

http://www.vox.com/2...partment-report

And this is where so many people think Kaepernick is...*ahem* misguided.

The flag and anthem should symbolize everything good about the United States. The freedoms and equality so many patriots of all races have fought and died for over the last 250 years are honored during each anthem. Making a public spectacle as a public figure by intentionally sitting down for it is basically spitting in the face of each and every one of those who made such tremendous sacrifices. And for what? Because of isolated incidents due to systematic flaws within our police department and justice system?

Does he honestly believe that the United States intentionally persecutes against any race? And that the flag symbolizes that continued persecution? If he believes that, then he's simply not bright.

And if he realizes that systemic racism is a natural flaw within our society which has resulted in blacks and other minorities being mistreated since the colonies declared independence and we continue to make strides toward eliminating that flaw to allow for equality for all races - and he still sits down for the anthem, then he's simply an *expletive*.

Two choices.