Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

I'm not a Hogan "hater" but I do still think he's JAG; kudos to him for taking advantage of the fact that the Steelers completely ignored him -- I mean the guy was running free all night. If he doesn't catch those passes he'd be the worst WR ever. The guys I was watching the game with -- who have no affiliation to the Pats***, Steelers, or Bills -- couldn't believe the Pittsburgh defense on Hogan. Worst game plan ever.

And, by the way, Hogan dropped a WR screen that went right through his hands in the 2nd half that would have probably gone for a score. I think Blount eventually scored on that drive but that's what you get with Hogan -- he'll catch most of the wide open throws he gets.

It's silly that a guy who clearly wouldn't be the #1 or #2 WR on any team that doesn't have Brady* is being debated this much.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's silly that a guy who clearly wouldn't be the #1 or #2 WR on any team that doesn't have Brady* is being debated this much.

Weren't you one of the guys who at the start of the 2016 season was claiming he wouldn't start (even in 3 receiver sets) for any team in the league other than the Bills?

There were a lot who were. It's time some humble pie was eaten on Hogan and there is a lot of resistance to eating it.

he wouldnt have had much choice had we tendered him higher.

but yea, he wasnt a radically different player or all pro yesterday despite a great stat line. he found some holes and his qb hit him. he still had his bobbles and such even on easy plays but ultimately came down with most. it was a good day and he should be proud, but its not like hes suddenly an elite threat. it was a 35 catch guy getting a big opportunity based on how the two teams game plans intersected.

What you are basically saying is that his talents were maximized on another team. He was running different routes all over the field, something he would not have been doing too much in Buffalo. The Bills emphasize a running game in conjunction with a rather primitive passing game. Just as with Watkins and Clay the receiver's talents were under-utilized because of the limitations of the qb he was playing with here.

That's the point and that is the problem.

As a Pats Fan I am glad to have Hogan. He has found his way open on many occasions and always seems to run the right route. He had a few drops this year but nothing to awful.

I would not say he is a top tier WR, but I say he is a good/average #2 but a GREAT #3 option.

IMO what he lacks in talent he makes up for in effort. I can only imagine how good Floyd would be if he had the effort of Hogan.

Weren't you one of the guys who at the start of the 2016 season was claiming he wouldn't start (even in 3 receiver sets) for any team in the league other than the Bills?

There were a lot who were. It's time some humble pie was eaten on Hogan and there is a lot of resistance to eating it.

I don't think I said that, but who knows...I still don't think he's a special player. Imagine what numbers Goodwin would put up in that Pats*** offense.

Hogan wasn't even making any moves last night -- he would run a one cut route and be wide open. It was mind-boggling what the Steelers did.

What you are basically saying is that his talents were maximized on another team. He was running different routes all over the field, something he would not have been doing too much in Buffalo. The Bills emphasize a running game in conjunction with a rather primitive passing game. Just as with Watkins and Clay the receiver's talents were under-utilized because of the limitations of the qb he was playing with here.

That's the point and that is the problem.

your point about the problem would be much more noteworthy if he had been having big days the other 17 times he trotted out there for them.

His YPC went up this season, but his touches relatively flat. That new england has a more developed intermediate passing game likely did help maximize his production. hitting him at the 15 yard mark instead of the 7 (on 3rd and 9) will certainly make a WR more efficient in his touches. additionally, having a qb that doesnt miss the wide open guy will get you big chunk yards (we had a bunch of open guys even in our primitive passing game).

but lets not pretend yesterday is some week in and week out performance or that he did something that a lot of guys couldnt do in his role yesterday.

I don't think I said that, but who knows...I still don't think he's a special player. Imagine what numbers Goodwin would put up in that Pats*** offense.

Hogan wasn't even making any moves last night -- he would run a one cut route and be wide open. It was mind-boggling what the Steelers did.

There it is! Can't believe it took 39 pages for that one to fall out of someone's brain...

Typical re-hashed Hogan hot takes here to keep posters' heads from exploding ("he's just NOT THAT GOOD!! NO, REALLY!).

If he was capable of laughter, I'm sure BB was laughing that he could pick up Hogan for relative peanuts last year.

Could have had him even cheaper 3 years earlier...again Hogan was a street free agent...why did the Pats not get him then?

Plain and simple, Hogan is not worth the money in the Bills system of last year, he was in the Pats...does not mean the Bills screwed up.

Even in that system, he had less than 50 catches this year...wow, what a stud!

One game does not make a career,,,ask Timmy Smith and David Tyree

your point about the problem would be much more noteworthy if he had been having big days the other 17 times he trotted out there for them.

His YPC went up this season, but his touches relatively flat. That new england has a more developed intermediate passing game likely did help maximize his production. hitting him at the 15 yard mark instead of the 7 (on 3rd and 9) will certainly make a WR more efficient in his touches. additionally, having a qb that doesnt miss the wide open guy will get you big chunk yards (we had a bunch of open guys even in our primitive passing game).

but lets not pretend yesterday is some week in and week out performance or that he did something that a lot of guys couldnt do in his role yesterday.

Looked good last week too..

Goodwin can't get on the field, is a poor route runner and has worse hands than Hogan. So imagine not very good numbers.... because guess what? He isn't very good. Hogan on the other hand is an NFL starter who has gotten better every year.

I know it is hard to accept for all the people who wanted him cut for D'Rick or Deonte Thompson or whatever other camp crush they had whilst calling Hogan a borderline NFL talent and claiming he was a dime a dozen pick up.... but those are the facts.

This thread :lol: Justin Hunter was better for the Bills in 2016 than Hogan would have been. I hope they re-sign Hunter. He had a 10 for 10 catch rate on 1st downs and 4 TDs in 12 games with limited reps.

If only the Bills had kept Hogan and signed Tom Brady dammit they'd have been in the SB right now!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Looked good last week too..

how about the week before that when he had 27 yards on 4 targets, or the week before with 22 yards on 5 targets or the week before with 18 yards on 2 targets or....

hes had some good games (including if i continued the "week before thing id be hitting 7 targets for 129 but 1 of those being a wiiiiiiide open 80 yard td) but some pretty ho-hum most weeks. hes been a good role player in a very developed scheme with a HOF qb.

he hasnt elevated people around him or made physically imposing plays (for those saying he looked like an all pro), but when game plans afford an opportunity hes generally made the most of it

Edited by NoSaint

Goodwin can't get on the field, is a poor route runner and has worse hands than Hogan. So imagine not very good numbers.... because guess what? He isn't very good. Hogan on the other hand is an NFL starter who has gotten better every year.

I know it is hard to accept for all the people who wanted him cut for D'Rick or Deonte Thompson or whatever other camp crush they had whilst calling Hogan a borderline NFL talent and claiming he was a dime a dozen pick up.... but those are the facts.

He's (Hogan) a JAG through and through. Brady made Deion Branch into a Super Bowl MVP and he scored a big free agent deal afterwards.

He's (Hogan) a JAG through and through. Brady made Deion Branch into a Super Bowl MVP and he scored a big free agent deal afterwards.

Keep on telling yourselves that folks. I'll side with Belichick. He is an intelligent, good quality NFL receiver. Never a #1 anywhere but a solid #2 or a very good #3.

Hogan is a decent WR in a great offense. He played a good game. He made the plays that he should except for the drop. The only play that he made on his own was the run after the catch on the crossing route. That was a really nice play.

The guy that doesn't get enough credit is McDaniels. What a brilliant game he called (and Kyle Shanahan for that matter). There were guys running free all over the field in those two games.

I still don't really get this argument. We tried to keep him... We couldn't afford to tender him at 2nd round because we didn't have the Cap Space (glenn was franchised at the time we tendered RFAs, and Gilmore was on his 5th year - both big cap hits) at the time. We also therefore could not match his offer sheet for the same reasons.

You guys act like we straight up cut the guy or something.... We did straight up release stefan charles, and bacarri rambo though - two guys who i thought were nice depth pieces.

Could have had him even cheaper 3 years earlier...again Hogan was a street free agent...why did the Pats not get him then?

Plain and simple, Hogan is not worth the money in the Bills system of last year, he was in the Pats...does not mean the Bills screwed up.

Even in that system, he had less than 50 catches this year...wow, what a stud!

One game does not make a career,,,ask Timmy Smith and David Tyree

The pats liked him after watching him play for he Bills, which is the topic of this discussion.

It wasn't just one game. He has done very well there---tied for first in the NFL in YPC.

how about the week before that when he had 27 yards on 4 targets, or the week before with 22 yards on 5 targets or the week before with 18 yards on 2 targets or....

hes had some good games (including if i continued the "week before thing id be hitting 7 targets for 129 but 1 of those being a wiiiiiiide open 80 yard td) but some pretty ho-hum most weeks. hes been a good role player in a very developed scheme with a HOF qb.

he hasnt elevated people around him or made physically imposing plays (for those saying he looked like an all pro), but when game plans afford an opportunity hes generally made the most of it

He's no #1 WR, so getting a couple of looks per game won't get you over 1000 yards. He He had 23 of his 37 catches for 1st downs.

Guys saying Goodwin or his kind would have the same result on the pats are making themselves look silly.

and for those saying that "setting the record" was special.... branch is the guy he took the post season single game yardage team record from. a dude that in 12 years had like 6600 yards. averaged about 40 catches and 550 yards and 3 tds a season for his career. it would be totally unsurprising if hogan was around or even a little above those averages for his NE career. and totally unremarkable.

Hogan is a decent WR in a great offense. He played a good game. He made the plays that he should except for the drop. The only play that he made on his own was the run after the catch on the crossing route. That was a really nice play.

The guy that doesn't get enough credit is McDaniels. What a brilliant game he called (and Kyle Shanahan for that matter). There were guys running free all over the field in those two games.

They must have referenced McDaniels a dozen times in the broadcast, he called a brilliant game. But if you have the best QB in NFL history ( :sick:), it has to be a bit easier. If the Bills came in with a game plan to throw 90% of the time, it would be laughable. Their time of possession would be about 10 minutes...