Who helped and hurt their case tonight?

Big C

Caught most of the game thanks to the nifty stream. Let's talk about who looked good and who looked bad.

Helped their case:

1) Walter Powell - Thought he looked really good tonight. Good hands, good routes, can return kicks (didn't have the best showing in that regard, but we know he's capable).

2) Cardale Jones - Looked remarkably comfortable and mostly accurate tonight. Good last drive, huge frame made him hard to take down. I was impressed.

3) Chris Gragg - Don't remember him being a part of special teams in years past, but he blocked that punt and caught that beautiful TD (shout out to EJ on that pass). Gragg always seemed to have more chemistry with EJ than our other QBs, but I think he's made a good case to stay on the roster.

4) Duke Williams - Had an awesome game. Hit hard, made plays on the ball.

5) Blake Annen - Couple nice receptions, didn't notice much in the way of blocking but I'm curious to know if anyone paid attention to that aspect of his game tonight.

Hurt their case:

1) Leonard Hankerson - Pretty obvious, dropped several passes.

2) Randell Johnson - Like the guys athleticism, but didn't seem to make any positive plays, capping it off with a horrid personal foul near the end of the game.

3) Brandon Spikes - Definitely looked rusty out there. I'm glad to have him back, but he clearly needs some more time to learn this defense. Won't be cut of course, but I thought he had a bad game.

4) Sterling Moore - Gave up a big TD

5) James Wilder Jr (& Boom) - We all knew Boom wouldn't make the final 53, but with all the hype Wilder had from the media, He really looked lousy tonight. Plus he had some penalities in special teams.

Who else made an impression on you guys one way or the other?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your list, though Butler should be on there in the hurt their case column.

Mario Butler? Did I miss something? Thought he was OK, certainly better than Moore.

Thought Seymour looked good too by the way.

Caught most of the game thanks to the nifty stream. Let's talk about who looked good and who looked bad.

Helped their case:

1) Walter Powell - Thought he looked really good tonight. Good hands, good routes, can return kicks (didn't have the best showing in that regard, but we know he's capable).

2) Cardale Jones - Looked remarkably comfortable and mostly accurate tonight. Good last drive, huge frame made him hard to take down. I was impressed.

3) Chris Gragg - Don't remember him being a part of special teams in years past, but he blocked that punt and caught that beautiful TD (shout out to EJ on that pass). Gragg always seemed to have more chemistry with EJ than our other QBs, but I think he's made a good case to stay on the roster.

4) Duke Williams - Had an awesome game. Hit hard, made plays on the ball.

5) Blake Annen - Couple nice receptions, didn't notice much in the way of blocking but I'm curious to know if anyone paid attention to that aspect of his game tonight.

Hurt their case:

1) Leonard Hankerson - Pretty obvious, dropped several passes.

2) Randell Johnson - Like the guys athleticism, but didn't seem to make any positive plays, capping it off with a horrid personal foul near the end of the game.

3) Brandon Spikes - Definitely looked rusty out there. I'm glad to have him back, but he clearly needs some more time to learn this defense. Won't be cut of course, but I thought he had a bad game.

4) Sterling Moore - Gave up a big TD

5) James Wilder Jr (& Boom) - We all knew Boom wouldn't make the final 53, but with all the hype Wilder had from the media, He really looked lousy tonight. Plus he had some penalities in special teams.

Who else made an impression on you guys one way or the other?

Agree with most, switch Blake with Seymour.

Sounds like Wilder knows he had a rough outing.

James Wilder Jr @IAm_Wilder32 2m2 minutes ago

My worst game in my 18 years of playing football I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I get cut, my game play was horrible!!!!!

Yes to Big C's List including a Good Call on Seymour.

WR Boykin's one handed TD grab helped the cheering where we were watching in WNY

Yeah, I didn't see much from Boykin for most of his time out there, but it was a good TD.

Agree with most, switch Blake with Seymour.

Sounds like Wilder knows he had a rough outing.

James Wilder Jr @IAm_Wilder32 2m2 minutes ago

My worst game in my 18 years of playing football I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I get cut, my game play was horrible!!!!!

In all fairness to Wilder, even though he may have had a rough game, he certainly didn't get any help from the O-Line. Seems like just about every time he touched the ball, he was being hit in the backfield. That said, he can be better. He knows it. But i wasn't all his fault he couldn't get something going.

In all fairness to Wilder, even though he may have had a rough game, he certainly didn't get any help from the O-Line. Seems like just about every time he touched the ball, he was being hit in the backfield. That said, he can be better. He knows it. But i wasn't all his fault he couldn't get something going.

Biggest issues for me were that he looked plodding, he runs very upright for a large man, and he took bad penalties.

I can't imagine they'd cut him just yet. Boom would be more likely to go because he hasn't shown anything even in practice.

Think it's safe to say McCoy, Karlos, Bush and Gillislee are the top four. JWill may make the roster until Karlos gets back and then we stash him on PS unless he really tears it up.

Edited by Big C

Was interesting Tasker made a comment that Kujo is more comfortable at LT because he can push off his good right knee initially at the snap instead of his bad knee on the right side

As I said in the KJO thread, I think Cyrus helped himself. He was basically 1v1 all night, and he didn't give up much. IIRC he did get beat to a spot on one running play, and I don't count the play where the entire O line was put in the wrong protection. That's on the backup center, or, EJ, or both.

Other than that, while playing next to a 2nd team LG, he showed, by not showing. The best O lineman are practically invisible.

They had to go back and find film of KJO to show what he'd done on the night. That's being invisible.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Was interesting Tasker made a comment that Kujo is more comfortable at LT because he can push off his good right knee initially at the snap instead of his bad knee on the right side

It was an interesting remark and a fair one. He seemed OK tonight. Possibly good enough to stay as swing tackle again while we wait and see on Seantrel's recovery.

I was disappointed in Bryson Albright. He needs to add a lot of strength and pass rush moves. Didn't seem sudden or able to bend to get around the corner.

Frankly I really didn't even know who the kid was before the game tonight. I know him from being listed above Striker on the depth chart, but he didn't make any plays that we particularly impressive. That said, Striker didn't really do anything either. Was kind of disappointed about that, but I'll give him a couple more games.

I was disappointed in Bryson Albright. He needs to add a lot of strength and pass rush moves. Didn't seem sudden or able to bend to get around the corner.

Yes - noticed he got easily pushed out wide on pass rush many times.

I remember seeing a pic of him earlier in the year from one of the OTAs and was stunned how skinny he was upper body.

Cardale looked very good. Seymour played well. Aldolphus was very good on a bunch of plays, probably the best thing out of this game from a guy who is going to play a lot. Very impressive at times for how fast he moves and gets off blocks for a big guy. Goodwin was open deep three times. Annan looked good. Kujo was pretty good. JWill and Gillislee both ran hard. Gragg had his big plays and seemed to block pretty well. Powell looked decent. Bush had one nice return. Woods was solid. EJ was okay and had a couple very nice looks. Duke had a couple nice plays.

IK looked good until the injury.

are you taking into account the 2 offside penalties on IK ?

Cardale looked very good. Seymour played well. Aldolphus was very good on a bunch of plays, probably the best thing out of this game from a guy who is going to play a lot. Very impressive at times for how fast he moves and gets off blocks for a big guy. Goodwin was open deep three times. Annan looked good. Kujo was pretty good. JWill and Gillislee both ran hard. Gragg had his big plays and seemed to block pretty well. Powell looked decent. Bush had one nice return. Woods was solid. EJ was okay and had a couple very nice looks. Duke had a couple nice plays.

methinks Powell was better than decent

^^ this was exactly how I felt about Wilder - he got blown up behind the OL at least a few times

are you taking into account the 2 offside penalties on IK ?

methinks Powell was better than decent

Yeah I liked him. One time he had a decent return but I thought he could have broke it if he waited for his blockers. He's supposedly had a very good camp. He will be battling Salas I think for the last WR position. It all depends IMO if they imagine Bush to be a KR as well as a PR. If they do, Powell will have a tough time making the roster unless he excels in the next three games. If they don't, he has a very good chance of making the 53. I don't think they are going to risk putting Goodwin back for KR. I do think they are going to end the Gay KO experiment because of the rule change so an extra WR who is a KR and backup PR like Powell may make it.

Yeah I liked him. One time he had a decent return but I thought he could have broke it if he waited for his blockers. He's supposedly had a very good camp. He will be battling Salas I think for the last WR position. It all depends IMO if they imagine Bush to be a KR as well as a PR. If they do, Powell will have a tough time making the roster unless he excels in the next three games. If they don't, he has a very good chance of making the 53. I don't think they are going to risk putting Goodwin back for KR. I do think they are going to end the Gay KO experiment because of the rule change so an extra WR who is a KR and backup PR like Powell may make it.

I thought I read Rex say Reggie was going to be the go-to PR, not KR guy, and will be used like a Ferrari in certain packages

I thought I read Rex say Reggie was going to be the go-to PR, not KR guy, and will be used like a Ferrari in certain packages

I think fans, including myself, don't look at roster spots the way GM and coaches do. It all has to fit together. A lot has to do with injuries at one time. A lot has to do with game day actives versus total 53 (meaning sometimes a guy will make the final 53 even though he doesn't often dress for the game just because he can play a bunch of different spots.) injuries are going to have a major influence on our final 53.

For example, if the Bills decide to keep a guy like Colt Anderson, who is an excellent ST player but probably a #5 S, they may not keep Easley because he is not healthy enough at the beginning of the season and therefore a guy like Powell has a 100% better chance of making the team. If IK is out for two games instead of four, maybe a guy at a different position unfortunately doesn't make the team. The 53 isn't really, always, the best 53. It's often who is available in case of an unknown injury.

Cardale looked very good. He looks comfortable in the pocket and his throws were strong and accurate. Would love to see him throw to Glass and Sammy. Although his mobility was a strength at OSU, Cardale looks like he's lost some weight and seems quicker. Very impressive debut.

Despite all the justifiable angst regarding the injuries to Shaq and RR, Cardale's development might end up being a much more important development for the franchise.

Edited by mannc

Cardale looked very good. He looks comfortable in the pocket and his throws were strong and accurate. Would love to see him throw to Glass and Sammy. Although his mobility was a strength at OSU, Cardale looks like he's lost some weight and seems quicker. Very impressive debut.

Despite all the justifiable angst regarding the injuries to Shaq and RR, Cardale's development might end up being a much more important development for the franchise.

Most of his best passes were not necessarily textbook fundamentals. That isn't a huge criticism because an NFL player really has to just make plays when plays are needed to be made, which he did in spectacular fashion a few times. But he threw off his back foot a lot. His arm strength got him out of trouble more than a few times which can often backfire.

That is not to say he wasn't totally impressive. He surely was. I loved a bunch of plays he made. But it was playmaking rather than fundamentally sound quarterbacking that was so impressive. Some guys just have it. Maybe we got lucky. It couldn't have been more impressive for the most part. But a lot of the stuff he did well is not necessarily stuff that is sustainable.

Adolphus looked awesome. He's got that Dareus-type lower body and the rook can shed blockers. Watched him every play, he's the real deal.

To me, him and Cardale were the best things to come out of this game and Cardale should have no affect on the team whatsoever this year. Aldolphus showed a lot of skills on a lot of plays. Very impressive. He could have a huge impact if teams are (rightfully) concerned with Dareus, Hughes, and Kyle rushing the passer. That was the easily the best part of this game for me.

Good catch!

i was at the game so I haven't seen the telecast but Tasker sometimes shares a little info that others just will not.

That news about the knee is probably not something the team really doesn't want out...........it makes the personnel department look bad for taking him to play RT when he had a well known issue with that knee.

Good catch!

i was at the game so I haven't seen the telecast but Tasker sometimes shares a little info that others just will not.

That news about the knee is probably not something the team really doesn't want out...........it makes the personnel department look bad for taking him to play RT when he had a well known issue with that knee.

That may make the first real insight Tasker has ever made as an analyst. He's unbelievably bad and wrong sooooooo often. Probably the worst of all the national guys. And I loved him as a player, as a Bill, as an ambassador for the game, he has a decent voice and demeanor, he's just godawful as an analyst. Criminally bad.

That may make the first real insight Tasker has ever made as an analyst. He's unbelievably bad and wrong sooooooo often. Probably the worst of all the national guys. And I loved him as a player, as a Bill, as an ambassador for the game, he has a decent voice and demeanor, he's just godawful as an analyst. Criminally bad.

I think you........like most others.......just missed those insights.

Understandable because he is tough to listen to.

I was also really impressed by Adolphus debut. The healthy draft picks all looked good.

Kind of stunned by Powell's improvement........he was garbage last year.

Overall it was very much what I hoped to see from the preseason game.......some of the real defense in use.......and some big armed QB's challenging a bunch of athletic but unproven WR's and TE's.

Hankerson scouting report remains same. Good: long arms Bad: hands too far from brain. Might as well let him go now and get someone else in camp.

Was disappointed by what looked like Greg Little's lack of explosiveness.

Helped:

Adolphus Washington

Cardale Jones

Robert Blanton

Duke Williams

Cyrus Kouandjio

Blake Annen

Nick O'Leary

Kevon Seymour

Walter Powell

Robert Woods

Mike Gillislee

Jonathan Williams

Hurt:

Ryan Groy

Leonard Hankerson

James Wilder, Jr.

Bryson Albright

Mario Butler

I think you........like most others.......just missed those insights.

Understandable because he is tough to listen to.

I was also really impressed by Adolphus debut. The healthy draft picks all looked good.

Kind of stunned by Powell's improvement........he was garbage last year.

Overall it was very much what I hoped to see from the preseason game.......some of the real defense in use.......and some big armed QB's challenging a bunch of athletic but unproven WR's and TE's.

Hankerson scouting report remains same. Good: long arms Bad: hands too far from brain. Might as well let him go now and get someone else in camp.

Was disappointed by what looked like Greg Little's lack of explosiveness.

Even if he has a couple insights his overall competence as an analyst is just pitiful. He's incredibly bad and I want to like him so much. He's so wrong so many times so often that yes, perhaps an insight or two gets lost in the abyss. But he's embarrassingly bad.