Reggie Ragland to have knee surgery; out for season

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AroundTheNFL

Reggie Ragland to have surgery on ACL, expected to land on injured reserve http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000682309/article/bills-reggie-ragland-expected-to-land-on-ir?

CpfylsbUIAADP6S.jpg

The best-case scenario would have him beat that eight-week timetable and get the chance to practice with his teammates at least a few times this season. The worst would be a Dante Fowler scenario, where we need to wait a full calendar year for his debut.

Seems like a long shot but...

@ryanlasal

They have a short term IR in the NFL now. He could come back to practice after 6 weeks #BillsCamp

There is no a short term IR in the NFL, they're referring to the DTR rule (designated to return). One player (and only one player per season) who was placed in IR with a major injury can be designated to return after week six of the season. That player isn't allowed to play in a game for two additional weeks. This season the rule was changed (thanks to the Bills) so that the player may be determined at the time of return rather than at the time he was put on IR (which makes a ton of sense).

The gist of the situation is that if the Bills think Ragland will miss more than a few weeks, the can put him on IR and then worry about if/when he can come back later.

Edited by BarleyNY

There is no a short term IR in the NFL, they're referring to the DTR rule (designated to return). One player (and only one player per season) who was placed in IR with a major injury can be designated to return after week six of the season. That player isn't allowed to play in a game for two additional weeks. This season the rule was changed (thanks to the Bills) so that the player may be determined at the time of return rather than at the time he was put on IR (which makes a ton of sense).

The gist of the situation is that if the Bills think Ragland will miss more than a few weeks, the can put him on IR and then worry about if/when he can come back later.

ok - cool

I heard the report that Ragland was walking around it but bandaged and no crutches

That didnt make sense to me....if you are trying to get swelling down on a injury you would have thought he would be on crutches and using the R.I.C.E. method care.....to get the swelling down to get the good MRI look.

I dont know what to make of that

This organization doesn't come clean about anything which is a reflection of Whaley since he's the one that sets the corporate culture there.

Expecting them to do so now is futile and silly.

Can keep 1 player on IR who can return , other injured players who can play in regular season and are needed would have to stay on active roster.

So, they might need to carry Shaq or Ragland on the active roster for several games into the regular season.

see ya next spring reggie. too bad, great draft pick by Whaley and Rex would have used him well. now, no Shaq, no Reggie, no listenbee they go 8-8 coaches get blamed and both get fired. Polian was right, injuries directly affect whether coaches stay or not even though coaches have nothing to do with injuries. lets just eliminate camp for the top 40 guys, just have mini camps and tryout camp. the guys are all in shape anyway all camp does is wreck the regular season. this is getting old ..

Whaley should get blamed for picking Shaq and Ryan to an equal extent. It seems that the team's biggest influence there was Ryan's unpaid/unprofessional son acting as a scout. If the team is stupid and foolish enough to ignore the very things that every other team yielded to, then it's on Whaley. When you take stupid risks, and there are plenty of them (Shaq, Watkins, Manuel to start), if the fruits of those risks play out you cannot expect a pass.

I suspect that Whaley yielded to Ryan's preferences in this past Draft since there appears to have been little if any vision, again, in conducting it. Our WR situation was all but completely ignored as was our right side of the OL situation. So was our S spot and the big hurrah ILB that we did draft has no coverage skills leaving us with two Ss and both starting ILBs without even average cover skills. Idiocy. Then as an encore they draft a DT with no history of playing DE and put him at DE in the NFL. I mean at some point, literally, all you can do is sit back and laugh at the idiocy. It's like a Will Ferrell movie here in Buffalo.

Whaley's lucky to still be employed at OBD.

Outside of the Polian era this team literally has had zero practical success in over 30 NFL seasons. The Whaley era is not merely no exception, it's in the running for defining the problems.

As to Ragland and Lawson, they are still subject to the odds of success in the NFL for drafted players regardless, missing most or all of this season does not increase their chances for success, particularly given their specific injuries, especially in Lawson's case whom I have doubts about to begin with. He wasn't even prolific at Clemson, he was very good, hardly top-notch as draftees go.

Your stated view on camp ignores the conditioning part, which is what camp is all about, largely. The injuries would be much greater if the top-40 wouldn't participate. That's why many people say that the injury rates for players that miss camp are higher. I've not researched that myself, so I'll take their words for it, but it makes sense. Going cold into the rigors of an NFL season only screams trouble in that way.

Edited by TaskersGhost

BREAKING NEWS:

A six member council of the supreme and general inquisition has been established to include Bucky Gleason, Mike Schopp, The Bulldog, and to be led by Grand Inquisitor Jerry Sullivan.

The accused parties are said to include the entire Bills training staff, led by head of strength and conditioning Eric Ciano, head coach Rex Ryan, general manager Doug Whaley, and owners Terry and Kim Pegula.

The competency of the current training staff, extent of crimes against humanity committed at One Bills Drive, and proper punishment, if any, are the issues to be explored. Maximum penalties may include burning at the stake.

The council will convene today at 5:00pm at One Bills Drive.

Critics of current Bills training protocol and supporters of widespread change among the training staff are encouraged to attend. In anticipation of a large turnout, early arrival is encouraged.

"It's not too early to staaaaat shaaapening yaaaah pitchfaaaks and lighting yaaaah taaaaches," commented Grand Inquisitor Sullivan, when asked about the threat of violence at the inquisition.

Further details will be posted as they become available.

Will refreshments be served? I'm not going out f I can't get my hands on so crudités.