Reggie Ragland to have knee surgery; out for season

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing you can do about injuries, weather and officiating.

However, there is something to be said for attitude.

Symbolism over substance. You can have 46 dudes with the right attitude who aren't very talented and play under a bad game plan. It probably won't win you a lot of games.

I hope Jerry Sullivan tears every ligament in both knees while falling down several flights of stairs...

Ah, civility at its finest.

Whaley and Rex are in serious trouble. Bad luck is partially to blame but still, they didn't make it easier on themselves. This is a disaster.

This off-season has to go down as one of the worst for this franchise. A bad cap situation from their 2015 spending spree, Watkins broken foot, drafting damaged goods Lawson, Whaley's inept comments, the Bills idiotic media policy, and now Ragland's out for the season.

Well, I'm waiting for someone to say it's just bad luck. Like it tends to become every season the team falters. At least Rex is more subdued now. :lol:

The thing I'm most worried about now is depth - if more injuries occur on defense during the season there will be practice squad types starting.

Other than that, though, the sky isn't falling. Shaq will play this year. Reggie is getting a fresh ligament - and many players come back stronger and better after such injuries. Their years of damage is repaired, and they get a lot of time to rehab and work out. Sammy is practicing.

The defense has the pieces in place without these two to be good. As does the offense. The biggest losers here are Whaley and Rex, and I now fully expect a cleaned house if the bills do not make the playoffs.

I also said

"Just gonna keep my fingers crossed and not overreact until the full diagnosis is public knowledge.

I'll go all Chicken Little at that point"

Exactly. Then you said "I still think we're in decent shape at ILB, despite my doom and gloom."

You're all over the map.

The thing I'm most worried about now is depth - if more injuries occur on defense during the season there will be practice squad types starting.

Other than that, though, the sky isn't falling. Shaq will play this year. Reggie is getting a fresh ligament - and many players come back stronger and better after such injuries. Their years of damage is repaired, and they get a lot of time to rehab and work out. Sammy is practicing.

The defense has the pieces in place without these two to be good. As does the offense. The biggest losers here are Whaley and Rex, and I now fully expect a cleaned house if the bills do not make the playoffs.

Sorry, but this is flat out untrue. People do not come back better from an ACL injury. They may get back to 100%, but they are not getting stronger and better. He won't be getting a "new" ligament. He'll most likely get a piece of his kneecap or hamstring tendon, or an ACL from a cadaver donor. In either case, they are used ligaments and none are stronger than your original ACL.

Edited by Mark80

Exactly. Then you said "I still think we're in decent shape at ILB, despite my doom and gloom."

You're all over the map.

That was my Chicken Little overreaction. I deal with this crap with huge amounts of sarcasm. Between the Bills and Stockport County, if I didn't laugh I'd cry.

And everyone knows how I view Shaq and Reggie. Manny and a Brown/Spikes job share isn't as good as I perceive them to be. Doesn't mean that they can't be somewhat effective. My expectations have been tempered slightly to reflect reality but I still expect a decent team to take the field.

Around this time last year I remember thinking to myself how bad the Carolina Panthers were going to be in 2015. They came off a below average 7-8-1 season in 2014 and then lost top WR Kelvin Benjamin to a torn ACL in the preseason. A suspect offense was going to be severely hurt I thought to myself. Instead, they go on to have one of the best seasons in NFL history, going 15-1 with a trip to the Super Bowl.

Everyone else needs to step up their game. Stay positive. Move forward. Go Bills.

Around this time last year I remember thinking to myself how bad the Carolina Panthers were going to be in 2015. They came off a below average 7-8-1 season in 2014 and then lost top WR Kelvin Benjamin to a torn ACL in the preseason. A suspect offense was going to be severely hurt I thought to myself. Instead, they go on to have one of the best seasons in NFL history, going 15-1 with a trip to the Super Bowl.

Everyone else needs to step up their game. Stay positive. Move forward. Go Bills.

Yeah, but they have Cam Newton and Luke Keuchly.

That was my Chicken Little overreaction. I deal with this crap with huge amounts of sarcasm. Between the Bills and Stockport County, if I didn't laugh I'd cry.

And everyone knows how I view Shaq and Reggie. Manny and a Brown/Spikes job share isn't as good as I perceive them to be. Doesn't mean that they can't be somewhat effective. My expectations have been tempered slightly to reflect reality but I still expect a decent team to take the field.

Your expectations are many things but tempered isn't one of them.

Sorry, but this is flat out untrue. People do not come back better from an ACL injury. They may get back to 100%, but they are not getting stronger and better. He won't be getting a "new" ligament. He'll most likely get a piece of his kneecap or hamstring tendon, or an ACL from a cadaver donor. In either case, they are used ligaments and none are stronger than your original ACL.[/quote

Look at pitchers getting Tommy John surgery - many come back stronger and better than before. It happens with knees as well - there is debate as to whether it's due to the repaired / new ligament itself or the rehab, giving the player a long period of time to work out the joint and strengthen it outside of the sports environment where injuries happen. At any case, a procured ligament from a cadaver or a "made" one from another part of his body will likely be at least as strong as the ACL that has taken severe abuse from childhood playing football.

It really sucks whenever you lose your top two draft picks to injury before the season even starts.

But I never expected Shaq and Ragland to be the saviors of this defense. I'm not sure how well I expected them to play at all. They're rookies, after all.

If anyone is going to turnaround this defense, it's Rex. 2014 demonstrated how much talent we have. 2015 demonstrated how much coaching matters. If Rex learned the right lessons, this season's D will be good with or without Shaq and Ragland. If the Rex did not, this season will be a disappointment with or without our top two draft picks.

Since you know me better than I know myself, enlighten me as to what I expect for 2016.

You go to the extremes - then come back to using words like "tempered, reality, decent" Now you want me to tell you what your expectations are.

Again, I think you're a nice person - but you're the most confusing poster to understand.