Best Fan Bases in the NFL - Ranking

Since Buffalo ticket prices and costs in general are much lower than most other areas of the US, it automatically deflates our standing. I know Patriot fans are big on social media, but mostly because they feel they were wronged over deflategate. Also, since Buffalo is a relatively small market, the population would tend to decrease sales numbers. As far as national audience, that goes to the success of the of the team in recent years. I would venture a guess that our standing in this type of survey would have been much higher in the 90s.

I did not click the link but anything that ranks New England fans as #1, unless it is a measurement of quantity of M@$$holes, is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeediculous.

They are loyal to only the Red Sox in truth. The Bruins, C's and the football team are complete after thoughts and are popular only when winning.

The science behind that ranking is flawed and will favor the large markets and bandwagon/good teams.

If it were me.... IMO the biggest measure is how many people show up when the team stinks. Take a 10 year swath and go with percentage of capacity / wins. I do think ticket price should also be taken into account, but probably indexed with the market size and per capita. I also think a subjective approach is necessary. Do we want 63K people who make gameday a 12 hour event, are into every play of the game, sprint to and from the bathrooms, etc.... or is it a better fan who spends 10x more to see his division leading team,, but gets to the game late, and spends most of the time socializing in a lounge and leaves early. How well traveled is a fan base? etc.

Also, IMO twitter and facebook fans and mentions is silly. It IMO is more of a bandwagon measure and also market size (and also rewards contraversy and negative press as in New England's case).

To rank fans, you have to look at W-L record.

How much money would NE fans spend (a key component in this study) if the Pats had missed the playoffs for 16 consecutive years?

Buffalo has a 393-451-8 all-time record and have never won a Super Bowl. Yet we have the best tailgate parties in the league, typically sell out the stadium (despite our small market), have Bills Backer supporters everywhere, and frequent sites like this religiously.

The loyalty of Bills fans is remarkable.

The rankings have Packer fans outside the top 10, Steeler fans in the bottom half, Chief and Bills fans in the bottom five. Those results clearly indicate the methodology is flawed.

when your team is a literal turnstile at all the key skill positions for 20 years, yeah, jersey sales and other things will suffer. the paytoilets have had bellicheat and tom-softballs-brady locked in for 15 seasons. We had Losman, Fttztragic, Cap'n checkdown, and many other useless, nameless shitbags at our key positions. This survey is about as useful as an extra golf mask on gameday.

I'd be waaaay more interested in a "Biggest D-Bag fans" ranked list.

A little background for perspective. Tthe school that put this together, Emory University, is the same school that when somebody wrote Trump 2016 in chalk on the sidewalk, a group of students whined that they no longer felt safe there.

I don't place a whole lot of faith in this particular institution of higher education.

This is pretty funny.

Isn't this just a function of income? More affluent cities are higher on the list because people have more money and things (like tickets) cost more.

No surprise that Boston, San Fran, NY, Chicago, Philly are all near the top, likely for that reason.

Yeah, that and team success. Of course fans are willing to spend more on their team when they're good. A fan in Boston isn't making much of a sacrifice when buying a ticket when they know they're going to win.