Topic of the day Sunday 6/26: Favorite all time Bills player

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Kelly I mean the way he fell in love with Buffalo when he got here.

Even when he retired, he could have moved some place nice and warm but he stayed and is still an active part of the community as well as the Bills organization

Honorable mention to Brian Moorman

CBF

Brian can get the Lady Bynng trophy in your honor CBF!

For me, it has to be Jim Kelly. His ability to tough it out was unmatched. I loved Bruce Smith, but he missed PLAYOFF games because of the flu. Sorry, but the flu should not stop a player from a playoff game.

it has to be "NeverGiveUp"

Because he put us permanently on the map. We have had a few great players. And a couple who, for me, had more pure skill.

But as far as a favorite, it is the guy who did the most for us. And that is JK.

Thurman Thomas was my favorite then and still is. I loved watching him set up blocks and he was such a great runner after the catch. The team needed Kelly and his ability to mix the short and deep pass. It kept the opposing defense on thier heels. But it was Thurman who made the offense work. Incredible pass blocker too. Just a complete RB even if he was never the biggest or the strongest. He and Barry Sanders may have had greatest vision and ability to read blocks in the game. Emmitt Smith was a more ferocious and downhill runner and played behind the best guard in NFL history, Larry Allen. Bills O-lines were great too but I think a notch below Dallas.

Thurman's signed jersey and a piece of the old turf is the only Bills memorabilia I own.

I still say Thurman is on the short list of what I'd call "greatest offensive weapons" of all time.

My favorite Bill is probably Kent Hull.

He was polite, and a true professional. He was outstanding at his position, a leader, a technician, a warrior.

He was huge and yet lean and in shape in a way current offensive linemen are not, and he came across first and foremost as a gentle giant of a farm boy from Mississippi.

Fred Jackson

Steve Tasker

Pat Williams

Sam Cowart

Kyle Williams

Antoine Winfield

Andre Reed

Thurmon Thomas

Terrence McGee - as a returner

Kent Hull

Jim Kelly

Bruce Smith - on field

Henry Jones

I didn't watch OJ enough (born in 1969)

I decided I would try a Top 10, but it was too hard. Tomorrow I know I will reflect on my list and kick myself for forgetting someone that brought me years of enjoyment.

Honorable mention: Jason Peters. I watched his ascent closely, and appreciated every minute. Watching him on special teams early in his career was a real treat. I remember watching an offseason video of him working one on one against Schoebel where I knew he was the real thing and was going to make it big. Unfortunately what came later pulled him off of my list. His exit really tainted my view of him

Edited by Matt in KC

Steve Tasker is DEAD to me. DEAD.

Why is that Joe? Did he diss you in some way?

I would go with OJ, as a kid growing up, he was everything to Buffalo football. As someone said earlier, every time he touched the ball, the crowd stood up because he could break one at any moment. Fantastic running ability and presence on the field.

Thurman would be my second choice if for some reason OJ is not able to attend the TBD awards ceremony

Edited by Guffalo

I'll go with Kelly. Best player to ever put on a Bills uniform. The shot in the arm he gave the fanchise when he signed back in '86

was fenominal. And he delivered on the field as well. Plus, he went from not wanting to play for Buffalo when he got drafted,

to crediting his returning to the city after his chemo treatments in NYC, for saving his life!

For me, it has to be Jim Kelly. His ability to tough it out was unmatched. I loved Bruce Smith, but he missed PLAYOFF games because of the flu. Sorry, but the flu should not stop a player from a playoff game.

BS. Flu can be crippling. As bad as I have had the flu...no fuggin Way someone could play effective football.

Bruce and OJ were the best, but the question is "favorite". Bruce was a treat to watch, but the hold outs got old. OJ, well.....no.

Fred has to be my winner with Butch Byrd coming in second. I could have different answers in an hour.