First time in years I'm not as hooked.

Nobody's going anywhere, but, feel free to wrap yourself in your wonderful fandom and remember, you're a real fan, I'm not.

This happened to me a couple years ago. I used to be glued to the games, now when they put up a stinker I change the channel or go golfing.

But then you put up a stinker and are back from the links to watch the 4th quarter.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread is getting a little off topic from the OP's point. (and OP, please correct if i'm wrong).

Its not about whether we will be a good team, or why, or why not. Its not about deciding to care or not. Its not about whether the team is worth following.

To me, OP is saying that there is some inexplicable reason that for him, this year is different somehow. He is disengaged and (1) he doesnt know why, and (2) even as a die-hard Bills fan, he really doesnt care why. And that bothers him.

And as I said upstream, I feel the same way. First time since 1988.

Yes, me too. I think "fatigue" and "disengaged" are the best terms up-thread to describe it.

But the difference this year is this: I'm not complaining about it. Unlike the past couple years where I was slow out of the gate, this year I'm not hoping someone will cheer me up or motivate me. I'm entirely at peace with it. For the first time since about 1988.

I think what cut the cord for me was when they hired Rob Ryan. To me it finally verified that the Rex Ryan era is a clown show, of RR and ex-Jet clowns lining up to take Pegula cash. Its not that I've stopped caring, but that I've stopped being so gung-ho about hurtling myself in front of the freight train every sunday.

So the OP and a couple others upstream are not whining. I think we are searching for words to describe our surprise at how detached we are. Its not that we dont think its a good team. But its different this year, somehow.

Its kinda like my cute gf broke up with me, instead of me breaking up with her. I've been on the verge of kicking her to the curb for years, for various reasons. So when she called me up and said "its over," I felt kinda free.

I'm kinda looking forward to an extra 4 hours on 16 sundays this year. Not on purpose, but just because . . . meh.

Of course i will be watching the games !

i just wont be throwing stuff as hard or as far, regardless.

and if they do well? I will stay steady until the season end.

My goal is to remain reasonable over the length of the NFL season.

I expect success

Hey buddy, you made a thread... you are still hooked.

:lol: "Hey everybody, I want to make a loud, public declaration on a Bills fan message board that I'm not very excited about the season. I could have simply logged off and started following bass fishing but thought this was the the better course of action."

I check on the Bills every day, but I for some reason don't have the passion, and I think it's because of last year's disappointing defense. In struts Rex, the defensive genius, inheriting a team that led the league in sacks for 2 years, and was #4 in the league....while playing New England twice a year!! The vibe was, this is going to be a great defense.

It sucked. With Rex and his boys in charge, it sucked. Now he's brought in his twin, and has lost some key pieces, and he tells us it's going to be different this year. How? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not saying I believe they will be a bad/mediocre team. I think they've got the talent to beat just about anybody. But my expectations are non-existent. I want them to win, of course, and I will be with the Bills Backers in St. Louis for every minute of the season. But I'm just not as hooked.

I do believe Gilmore will be signed soon. The media makes it look like it's doomed. But they'll work it out. With this ownership group, money is not an issue. The salary cap is the issue. They'll find a way to get it done.

Feeling the Rex Effect.

We needed to lose some people to make this Defense work, not that they were bad they just didn't fit.

I think this thread is getting a little off topic from the OP's point. (and OP, please correct if i'm wrong).

Its not about whether we will be a good team, or why, or why not. Its not about deciding to care or not. Its not about whether the team is worth following.

To me, OP is saying that there is some inexplicable reason that for him, this year is different somehow. He is disengaged and (1) he doesnt know why, and (2) even as a die-hard Bills fan, he really doesnt care why. And that bothers him.

And as I said upstream, I feel the same way. First time since 1988.

OP here. That about sums it up. I love this team, I'm sort of mailing in my efforts to keep up to snuff on the team. I still do it, but I feel a bit like I'm going through the motions. I can tell you what's going on, what happened yesterday with overweight Karlos Williams, Gilmore, etc. Maybe it was that Dri Archer didn't have any interest in even showing up to see what the Bills are all about. What's going on? I was looking forward to watching that water bug jitter all over the field.

I'm here again today, and I'll be here every day till the end of time.

I will always love the Bills but it's becoming more and more about the Buffalo part. Honestly, I don't like rooting for questionable dudes. I find that harder and harder to tolerate. It makes me sad that there are fans who could root for guys like Greg Hardy so their team can "win." Also, the Rex talking has gotten real tiresome. I was completely numb last year.

That said, I will throw a parade in my house if the Bills ever make the playoffs again.

In June. Lol.

I am hooked! I said it. This beats this fitz/trenative years by a million.

I sadly used to talk myself into those guys every year. I still think with a better defense, Fitz gets us into the playoffs. And if that Arizona game didn't happen, Trent is leading us to multiple SBs. :)

I'm getting older and fickle. Show me the baby and shut up Rex.

I'm kind of on the opposite side of OP although maybe the same side.

I love the Bills. I especially love that I get 16 days a year to hang out with my friends who I don't get to see as often as I used to and drink some beers with them. The Bills have been so bad for so long I can't talk trash about them. Not only that but people have given up talking trash to me. That is the most depressing part.

However Rex is fun. I don't know if he will lead the Bills anywhere but I certainly have fun seeing his quotes and antics. He has made the Bills nationally relevant which hasn't happened in a long time.

All week long during the season I'm pretty sure the Bills will lose that week. However I am still excited to have a game on, to watch them, and again see some old friends. When I wake up on Sunday I am convinced they will win if just a few things go their way. I would imagine that I fall on the o3 side much more than the n3 side but that has more to do with not being able to muster the anger that some of you have. The Bills are entertainment pure and simple. Winning would be awesome but a loss is just another in a long string of them.

I can actually point to a specific game. The Falcons game in Toronto. When Stevie and the Chandler coughed up the ball and lost that game I was MAD. To the point that my wife gave me a time limit to complain about it :lol: . It was then that I realized I may be a bit to invested in what is meant to be entertainment. My daughter being born the next year also put the importance of the NFL in perspective.

I used to live and die with the Bills but those days are gone for a multitude of reasons I rambled on about above. I haven't stopped caring about the Bills. I have stopped caring about the results to a degree. If they win Monday is a little better. If they lose Monday is Monday and nothing changes.

Stop treating this as life-or-death. It's a freaking game. A diversion. An excuse to drink.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. I'm not the one blathering on about how I can't get it up anymore and the light in my eyes has dulled because my football team is mediocre. The attitudes expressed in this thread are a downer.

I swear that you don't even read the posts you respond to or make any attempt to understand them in context. You enter a thread with your posts already planned and then pick one at random to quote. You should really consider changing your handle to Promo The Strawman.

Just forget about the stupid wins and the playoff drought. Enjoy the good plays and the athleticism on the field, the strategies, sacks, great passes etc.

NFL averages get you one championship every 32 years, don't get bummed about the other 31. Take the pressure off yourself with the "winning is everything" approach, its a much better experience when you appreciate the game itself.

Just forget about the stupid wins and the playoff drought. Enjoy the good plays and the athleticism on the field, the strategies, sacks, great passes etc.

NFL averages get you one championship every 32 years, don't get bummed about the other 31. Take the pressure off yourself with the "winning is everything" approach, its a much better experience when you appreciate the game itself.

We are defying the odds. There may be a math problem here. Otherwise, you may have a point...