Apparently Ryan Didn't Get the Memo!

Ronin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Jackson had a prime?

Yes - I just learned he is superior to McCoy. Which is funny given McCoy at 27 has outperformed fjax in Rushing attempts, yards, ypc, tds.... Really every rushing category, every single one.

All this in roughly the same number of games played and 2 fewer seasons.

McCoy is a 4x probowler and Fred is just a great story of an overachiever that made himself a respectable career.

What did 28 year old fjax do?? 571 tds 3 tds .... We'll see about 28 year old McCoy. Although the he's beaten that mark every season of his career.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I know this is unpopular, but I think it's a really stupid idea to give them an ultimatum at this point. For once, I really want to see the Bills have some continuity from coaching up to the front office. Rex has had success in the past. Doug has definitely brought some talent in. Pegula isn't afraid to spend money. Lets see what these guys can do for a few years, instead of calling for their heads immediately. The fact is, we might get worse before we get better, but its even more unlikely changing coaches/GMs every couple years will bring us success.

Generally speaking, it's really a stupid idea for anyone to give anyone an ultimatum about anything. If it has really come to that point, then it's already time to make a move, regardless of what we are talking about.

Not sure why Whaleys job would be in more danger then Rexs considering Rex had no clue how to utilize the talent Whaley provided for Rex. And if what you say is true, who fired the GM and then keeps their head coach? This would be the Idzik Jets all over again. My guess is the two are tied together. If one gets fired so does the other.

Semi-agreed. Whaley has been given 2 different HCs (and a few different DCs) to deal with and imo, has done a good job working with the available resources to get his coaches what they need. This should make his job secure regardless of what happens with the Coaches.

Only thing I kinda disagree with is that they would be tied together. Unless the Pegulas want to completely start over from scratch, but that's a pretty big overhaul that seems unnecessary given how far the Personnel department has come in the last 5 years.

Exactly.

Correct.

Churn, Churn, Churn is no way to build a successful franchise. I think the owners have a longer view than the frustrated fans do.

Belichick only produced 1 winning season in 5 years with Cleveland. At the time, a minority thought the roster was more to blame than the coach. The majority lost patience and Belichick was fired.

Belichick authored yet another losing season in 2000, his first year with the Pats. He's never suffered another losing season since.

Pete Carroll achieved losing records his first two years with Seattle and now has the Hawks in the playoffs every year.

Sometimes patience is the key. Head coaches need time to build their staff and implement their systems. General Managers need time to acquire the right kinds of players for the offensive and defensive systems of their coaches.

I never bought the story of an ultimatum. What business purpose would it serve? If you need to issue ultimatums to your GM or HC to motivate them, you've hired the wrong people.

Ultimatums, in fact, tend to be counterproductive. Who, in fact, does their best work when faced with threats and knowing they lack the confidence of their leaders?

Edited by hondo in seattle

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

1) there was no ultimatum given, trust me.

2) the Pegulas do not act rashly when it comes to making changes.

the people they've fired fall into two categories:

-- They backed the GM's advice in axing them: Lindy Ruff/Ted Nolan.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

If Whaley does get fired after another bad season, then Rex is gone too, no new GM is gonna want to be tied to Rex after the Idzik fiasco with the Jets. Either nobody gets fired, only Rex and the coaching staff gets fired, or everybody gets fired. Edited by K-Apps

If Whaley does after another bad season, then Rex is gone too, no new GM is gonna want to be tied to Rex after the Idzik fiasco with the Jets. Either nobody gets fired, only Rex and the coaching staff gets fired, or everybody gets fired.

I agree this is the most logical situation.

Pegula has plenty of money but basically guaranteeing a guy $15 million to leave is pretty dumb. I think the organization will give them all one more year after this for the sake of continuity. If that doesn't get it done and turn knto playoff wins then I could see whole scale changes from whaley on down. The Ryans are on record as wanting to restore the Ryan name and Buddy is in poor health so timing is everything. Maybe ol Rexys pride will do some good for a change?

IMO it would be a colossal mistake to fire Whaley and keep Rex. See NYJ for examples.

Pegula has plenty of money but basically guaranteeing a guy $15 million to leave is pretty dumb. I think the organization will give them all one more year after this for the sake of continuity. If that doesn't get it done and turn knto playoff wins then I could see whole scale changes from whaley on down. The Ryans are on record as wanting to restore the Ryan name and Buddy is in poor health so timing is everything. Maybe ol Rexys pride will do some good for a change?

IMO it would be a colossal mistake to fire Whaley and keep Rex. See NYJ for examples.

It was dumb to give Rex Ryan a 5 year contract to begin with, letting him go after another disappointing/bad season will just be admitting to that mistake and accepting the consequences imo.

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

Thanks for sharing your insight. Although I hope you are wrong with regard to Whaley's job security being more on the line than Rex's.

If Whaley does get fired after another bad season, then Rex is gone too, no new GM is gonna want to be tied to Rex after the Idzik fiasco with the Jets. Either nobody gets fired, only Rex and the coaching staff gets fired, or everybody gets fired.

I think this is the most likely scenario. What kind of GM would want to come here and be Rex's puppet.

Agreed! Jacksonville is an excellent example of patience from the owner. Cleveland is an example of endless frustration and futility.

Dork and Matt- just opening thread, but unless a meltdown, changing every 1-2 years is basically the Browns. Shad Khan is the definition of a good new owner having patience and not letting business mix with the team. If he fires his staff after this year or next, that is fair as they had several years of drafts, free agents, and coaching changes in scheme to see if they can win.

I wasn't happy about Rex, but we have to give him time for success. You just can't blow it up every two years.

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 wwas essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

jw

Is it possible that the Buffalo news is getting inaccurate info on purpose from one Bills Drive ? The tone of some at the news is very negative I wonder if someone is having a little fun. The news have missed on a few whoppers .

Generally speaking, it's really a stupid idea for anyone to give anyone an ultimatum about anything. If it has really come to that point, then it's already time to make a move, regardless of what we are talking about.

So much for my parenting skills...

Why whining?

Try reading at face value and assessing the OP that way. Did the logic of the situation elude you? It's not complicated.

There's a widely held, as in majority, belief that Whaley & Ryan are gone after the season if they don't make the playoffs. (fact)

Whaley was just extended. (fact) The widely held, again, majority, belief is that Whaley was given the 3-year extension to put him and Ryan on the same "timeline" so that they'll have no excuse to not work together. (fact, that belief is a fact whether or not the basis for the belief is or not. Frankly, that makes no sense to me to give a 3-year extension with the possibility of paying out before the first year of it ever even gets off the ground.)

Ryan has just denied all that. (fact)

Clearly someone's not telling the truth. Either those espousing it all, or Ryan. That's simple logic and therefore, ... fact.

Not sure where the whining is. I see lots of whining over the OP tho.

Purely out of curiosity, can you explain what constitutes a "fact"? Do you have some sort of link or study that proves your "facts'? You should probably answer this specifically.

Rex has 5 straight non-playoff seasons as a NFL HC, which puts him in rare company. Ownership has given their HC and GM every resource to get this team into the post-season, so it'll be interesting if in fact they don't make it. They very well could and this is a moot point.

Just because the Pegula's are loyal doesn't mean they'll go William Clay Ford and allow incompetent types to remain in place. They have to want to win and ought to know when their football management isn't getting it done.

I'm not the biggest Rex supporter but if you think that was all his fault, you should get your head checked.

Look at the last 2-3 years of his tenure with the Jets. Look at the RB, QB, WR, CB, S that he had to work with, and you tell me what he should've done with "those" guys.

John Idzik is more to blame for their debacle if you ask me. Sure Rex has had his issues with clock management, questionable playcalling and his boneheaded "motivational" speeches, but when he's had talent to work with, he knows how to utilize them.