Apparently Ryan Didn't Get the Memo!

Ronin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2013 and 14 Idzik deserves his fair share of the blame.(Although Rex did a great job in 2013 to get to 8-8.)

Rex isn't without blame for the 2011 and 2012 seasons for the Jets however.

He is definitely at fault for some of those issues but I don't think he was ever given a fair chance towards his last couple years. The lack of talent he had to work with on both sides of the ball was pretty mindblowing. He had no WR's, no QB, no running game and while his front 7 were pretty solid, that secondary was a disgrace.

Ten wins please.... Oh, and draft TE OJ Howard next may!

I don't think 10 wins is gonna get us into the playoffs. 10 wins is a BIG maybe. We need 11 wins to get a solid to definite chance of making the playoffs IMO.

Purely out of curiosity, can you explain what constitutes a "fact"? Do you have some sort of link or study that proves your "facts'? You should probably answer this specifically.

Don't get him going again, just skip his posts like the rest of us do. I mean the majority of us (fact)

I think Terry is way too smart to give an ultimatum. In his shoes I'd expect him to simply set expectations that with all the draft investment in defense and the firepower on offense, his expectations are high.

Smart businessmen don't back themselves in a corner or declare a stance/ultimatum when they don't need to.

This. Smart bosses have no reason to paint themselves into a corner with any form of "or else". They just state what they expect. Nothing stops them from acting if their expectations aren't met.

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

1) there was no ultimatum given, trust me.

2) the Pegulas do not act rashly when it comes to making changes.

the people they've fired fall into two categories:

-- They backed the GM's advice in axing them: Lindy Ruff/Ted Nolan.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

John, wondering if you can say a little more - I know you say "gut feeling" but I believe in general, your gut feelings have observation and fact behind them.

I believe you that there was no ultimatum - too many stories from Pegula insiders saying that's just not their style, plus smart managers recognize it serves no purpose. But I also believe there was serious ownership discontent after the Washington game last season when the Bills looked unprepared and uninspired. IMHO making Whaley a "sacrificial lamb" would be inconsistent with smart management.

Edited by Hopeful

Rex has 5 straight non-playoff seasons as a NFL HC, which puts him in rare company. Ownership has given their HC and GM every resource to get this team into the post-season, so it'll be interesting if in fact they don't make it. They very well could and this is a moot point.

Just because the Pegula's are loyal doesn't mean they'll go William Clay Ford and allow incompetent types to remain in place. They have to want to win and ought to know when their football management isn't getting it done.

Thank you sir.

Belichick only produced 1 winning season in 5 years with Cleveland. At the time, a minority thought the roster was more to blame than the coach. The majority lost patience and Belichick was fired.

Belichick authored yet another losing season in 2000, his first year with the Pats. He's never suffered another losing season since.

Pete Carroll achieved losing records his first two years with Seattle and now has the Hawks in the playoffs every year.

Sometimes patience is the key. Head coaches need time to build their staff and implement their systems. General Managers need time to acquire the right kinds of players for the offensive and defensive systems of their coaches.

I never bought the story of an ultimatum. What business purpose would it serve? If you need to issue ultimatums to your GM or HC to motivate them, you've hired the wrong people.

Ultimatums, in fact, tend to be counterproductive. Who, in fact, does their best work when faced with threats and knowing they lack the confidence of their leaders?

Exactly. Here's what happened in the AFC East since 2000 when BB came on board at New England:

AFCE HC	       Wins	Losses	Team	All Time W	All Time L
Al Groh	        2	0	Jets		
Herm Edwards	2	8	Jets	2	9
Eric Mangini	3	5	Jets		
Rex Ryan	4	9	Jets	4	11
Dave Wannstedt	5	5	Miami		
Nick Saban	2	2	Miami		
Tony Sporano	2	5	Miami		
Todd Bowles	0	1	Miami		
Cam Cameron	0	2	Miami		
Joe Philbin	3	5	Miami		
Wade Phillips	1	1	Bills	1	3
Greg Williams	1	5	Bills		
Mike Mularkey	0	4	Bills		
Dick Jauron	0	7	Bills	1	8
Chan Gailey	1	5	Bills		
Dug Marrone	1	3	Bills		
Rex Ryan	0	2	Bills	4	11
Perry Fewell	0	1	Bills		

Nobody has had much success against the Hoodie**

Exactly. Here's what happened in the AFC East since 2000 when BB came on board at New England:

AFCE HC	       Wins	Losses	Team	All Time W	All Time L
Al Groh	        2	0	Jets		
Herm Edwards	2	8	Jets	2	9
Eric Mangini	3	5	Jets		
Rex Ryan	4	9	Jets	4	11
Dave Wannstedt	5	5	Miami		
Nick Saban	2	2	Miami		
Tony Sporano	2	5	Miami		
Todd Bowles	0	1	Miami		
Cam Cameron	0	2	Miami		
Joe Philbin	3	5	Miami		
Wade Phillips	1	1	Bills	1	3
Greg Williams	1	5	Bills		
Mike Mularkey	0	4	Bills		
Dick Jauron	0	7	Bills	1	8
Chan Gailey	1	5	Bills		
Dug Marrone	1	3	Bills		
Rex Ryan	0	2	Bills	4	11
Perry Fewell	0	1	Bills		

Nobody has had much success against the Hoodie**

You really don't think it's hoodie do you?

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

1) there was no ultimatum given, trust me.

2) the Pegulas do not act rashly when it comes to making changes.

the people they've fired fall into two categories:

-- They backed the GM's advice in axing them: Lindy Ruff/Ted Nolan.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

The highlighted area is the issue. If the team doesn't come close to the owner's expectations then Rex's job will be in jeopardy. For the owner the bigger issue isn't necessarily the record this season, it pertains more to whether the team is moving in the right direction, a la Sabres. If the owner sees a defense that is again confused and too many lapses in discipline then why wait for a third year expecting something different?

I agree with you that changing staff because of impatience can be self-defeating. But if the team is not demonstrating progress then what is the rational for acting later rather than sooner. What's the saying?: When you are digging yourself in a hole the first corrective action is to stop digging. If Rex is holding the shovel when the hole continues to get deeper it won't be surprising that Pegula takes the shovel away from him.

Side issue but related: Was Rex Whaley's first choice or did he just go along with the owner and Brandon's preference? The speculation is that Rex preferred Hue Jackson but Brandon and Pegula were enamored with the charming Rex? You are allowed to speculate on this question without risking your journalistic credibility. :thumbsup:

You really don't think it's hoodie do you?

Nope, not completely. It's a combo. But none of those other HCs had a QB worth a damn either.

But so many around here want to point to the HC's record as if every weekend it's a jousting/gladiator match between two head coaches.

The highlighted area is the issue. If the team doesn't come close to the owner's expectations then Rex's job will be in jeopardy. For the owner the bigger issue isn't necessarily the record this season, it pertains more to whether the team is moving in the right direction, a la Sabres. If the owner sees a defense that is again confused and too many lapses in discipline then why wait for a third year expecting something different?

I agree with you that changing staff because of impatience can be self-defeating. But if the team is not demonstrating progress then what is the rational for acting later rather than sooner. What's the saying?: When you are digging yourself in a hole the first corrective action is to stop digging. If Rex is holding the shovel when the hole continues to get deeper it won't be surprising that Pegula takes the shovel away from him.

Or as Demotivators put it: "Consistency: It's only a Virtue if you're Not a Screwup" http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/consistencydemotivator.jpeg?v=1414004030

I don't spend enough time here apparently, I'm just now realizing that TG is a troll, and that's about it.

Same here. oh and I agree with ScottLaw's point about Rex having to take responsibility for 11-12. When I'm agreeing with Scott and someone else is the biggest troll in the thread, you know the world has turned upside down