Apparently Ryan Didn't Get the Memo!

Ronin

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

1) there was no ultimatum given, trust me.

2) the Pegulas do not act rashly when it comes to making changes.

the people they've fired fall into two categories:

-- They backed the GM's advice in axing them: Lindy Ruff/Ted Nolan.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

This is pretty much how I feel about it, but I'm seeing things from afar.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. Not sure what the OP is whining about today.

Why whining?

Try reading at face value and assessing the OP that way. Did the logic of the situation elude you? It's not complicated.

There's a widely held, as in majority, belief that Whaley & Ryan are gone after the season if they don't make the playoffs. (fact)

Whaley was just extended. (fact) The widely held, again, majority, belief is that Whaley was given the 3-year extension to put him and Ryan on the same "timeline" so that they'll have no excuse to not work together. (fact, that belief is a fact whether or not the basis for the belief is or not. Frankly, that makes no sense to me to give a 3-year extension with the possibility of paying out before the first year of it ever even gets off the ground.)

Ryan has just denied all that. (fact)

Clearly someone's not telling the truth. Either those espousing it all, or Ryan. That's simple logic and therefore, ... fact.

Not sure where the whining is. I see lots of whining over the OP tho.

Why whining?

Try reading at face value and assessing the OP that way. Did the logic of the situation elude you? It's not complicated.

There's a widely held, as in majority, belief that Whaley & Ryan are gone after the season if they don't make the playoffs. (fact)

Whaley was just extended. (fact) The widely held, again, majority, belief is that Whaley was given the 3-year extension to put him and Ryan on the same "timeline" so that they'll have no excuse to not work together. (fact, that belief is a fact whether or not the basis for the belief is or not. Frankly, that makes no sense to me to give a 3-year extension with the possibility of paying out before the first year of it ever even gets off the ground.)

Clearly someone's not telling the truth. Either those espousing it all, or Ryan. That's simple logic and therefore, ... fact.

i'm thinking some speculation has seeped into these "facts."

Why whining?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I am 100% on board with leaving everyone in place even without a playoff appearance this season. Especially Whaley. Best GM we've had in a long time.

I surely hope the fat twins on the mopeds get this right, this year, however........

I know this is unpopular, but I think it's a really stupid idea to give them an ultimatum at this point. For once, I really want to see the Bills have some continuity from coaching up to the front office. Rex has had success in the past. Doug has definitely brought some talent in. Pegula isn't afraid to spend money. Lets see what these guys can do for a few years, instead of calling for their heads immediately. The fact is, we might get worse before we get better, but its even more unlikely changing coaches/GMs every couple years will bring us success.

I totally agree. I feel that people overlook the talent we have on this team compared to pre Nix. The cupboard was literally bare.

Now that we know talent isn't the issue, let's give some time for it to come together. If Tyrod proves himself to be the guy and we commit to him with a big contract - this becomes all the more important, especially if Roman gets a head coaching opportunity.

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

I'm with you but even more so. I see full bore nepotism here. Pegula loves Brandon most of all, and Brandon's buddies with Whaley. I don't ever see the decision to fire Whaley coming from Brandon, who essentially hired him.

Who knows with Ryan, but when you talk like he does, it makes the fall much greater if/when you don't deliver.

I see 6-10 as a ceiling so far pending developments. The D won't have more talent despite opinions that it may. The losses equal the gains and that's if Ragland and Washington both work out on D to the extent that the team has touted. Odds of that happening, on any team, are well below 50/50.

We lost Bradham (so-so loss), McKelvin (not much of a loss IMO), and Mario (bigger loss than most think IMO). Kyle Williams' status is uncertain as is Watkins'. Lawson's unlikely to be a factor given the nature of the situation, even when he returns.

Offensively, if Watkins' can't take the field at 100% all season, where's the passing production going to come from. It's easy to point at third-rate players and suggest that they'll be the next "diamond in the rough," but the odds are drastically against that occurring.

That all assumes that after the "knowns" that nothing else will go wrong. This season can easily go 2-14 if Taylor goes down early or in preaseason for example. Jones is and my never be ready to play QB in the NFL and we know what Manuel brings.

There's way too much that needs to go perfectly right simply for this to be a .500 team again, including Ryan's D with all of the key new talent being rookies that will be asked to learn one of the most, if not the most outright, complex defensive systems in the league.

IMO we would have made much better gains in Ws by drafting Treadwell in round 1, Whitehair in round 2, and Prescott in round 3 going offense instead of defense. We could have signed an Alabama LB in free agency, essentially a clone of Ragland, for very reasonable in Rolando McClain who had even higher draft reviews.

i'm thinking some speculation has seeped into these "facts."

Of course you do. Think again tho, and instead of merely answering with snide emotional comments, try some actual argumentation. Might do your mind some good. Posts such as yours above add nothing to anything except trolling type flaming.

I'm with you but even more so. I see full bore nepotism here. Pegula loves Brandon most of all, and Brandon's buddies with Whaley. I don't ever see the decision to fire Whaley coming from Brandon, who essentially hired him.

Who knows with Ryan, but when you talk like he does, it makes the fall much greater if/when you don't deliver.

I see 6-10 as a ceiling so far pending developments. The D won't have more talent despite opinions that it may. The losses equal the gains and that's if Ragland and Washington both work out on D to the extent that the team has touted. Odds of that happening, on any team, are well below 50/50.

We lost Bradham (so-so loss), McKelvin (not much of a loss IMO), and Mario (bigger loss than most think IMO). Kyle Williams' status is uncertain as is Watkins'. Lawson's unlikely to be a factor given the nature of the situation, even when he returns.

Offensively, if Watkins' can't take the field at 100% all season, where's the passing production going to come from. It's easy to point at third-rate players and suggest that they'll be the next "diamond in the rough," but the odds are drastically against that occurring.

That all assumes that after the "knowns" that nothing else will go wrong. This season can easily go 2-14 if Taylor goes down early or in preaseason for example. Jones is and my never be ready to play QB in the NFL and we know what Manuel brings.

There's way too much that needs to go perfectly right simply for this to be a .500 team again, including Ryan's D with all of the key new talent being rookies that will be asked to learn one of the most, if not the most outright, complex defensive systems in the league.

IMO we would have made much better gains in Ws by drafting Treadwell in round 1, Whitehair in round 2, and Prescott in round 3 going offense instead of defense. We could have signed an Alabama LB in free agency, essentially a clone of Ragland, for very reasonable in Rolando McClain who had even higher draft reviews.

Of course you do. Think again tho, and instead of merely answering with snide emotional comments, try some actual argumentation. Might do your mind some good. Posts such as yours above add nothing to anything except trolling type flaming.

obviously.

jw

I totally agree. I feel that people overlook the talent we have on this team compared to pre Nix. The cupboard was literally bare.

Now that we know talent isn't the issue, let's give some time for it to come together. If Tyrod proves himself to be the guy and we commit to him with a big contract - this becomes all the more important, especially if Roman gets a head coaching opportunity.

No talent? Really? Did you research this?

Pre-Nix was 2009, right?

Fred Jackson in his prime. Lynch. Owens. Evans. Reed as a third, better than anything we have now.

Fitzpatrick was our QB, leaps better than Manuel who Whaley hand-picked because he had the "If Factor."

Defensively we had Kyle Williams in his prime, Schobel, Kelsay, McGee, Byrd who had a phenominal season, Whitner and Wilson who were no worse than the below average Ss we have now.

I think an argument can be made that we had comparable talent if not slightly better. I'll take FredEx at 28 over Shady any day of the week, with Lynch too?

Wow.

Pre-Nix was 2009, right?

Fred Jackson in his prime. Lynch. Owens. Evans. Reed as a third, better than anything we have now.

Fitzpatrick was our QB, leaps better than Manuel who Whaley hand-picked because he had the "If Factor."

Defensively we had Kyle Williams in his prime, Schobel, Kelsay, McGee, Byrd who had a phenominal season, Whitner and Wilson who were no worse than the below average Ss we have now.

I think an argument can be made that we had comparable talent if not slightly better. I'll take FredEx at 28 over Shady any day of the week, with Lynch too?

Wow.

wait, Whaley hand-picked EJ?

hardly a solo decision.

is this enough content in a post for you, or should i just continue making snide comments.

jw

(or both, i guess?)

Edited by john wawrow

jw

There you go contradicting the accepted SabreSpace LaFontaine narrative, that Pat left because of the cabal of Pegula cronies that secretly control the franchise. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Pre-Nix was 2009, right?

Wow.

I'm not sure you are aligned with the idea of "roster talent".

When Chris Kelsey, Terrance McGee and Josh Reed are highlighted out as the "talent" it's clear that there is a lack of it.