This Article Made Me Smile (Jairus Byrd)

Not bad - $11MM per pass defended! O_O

Gill was smart when he told his son to go get a big money deal in FA because you just don't know what's going to happen. Like, you might not be that good...

What i got from this article is that Ryans love to take top 5 defenses and ruin them. Bryd is overpaid and even if he produced in NO like he did here he is not worth that money, but on the other hand don't we still need a safety? This seems to be a time where both the player and team made it work.

What i got from this article is that Ryans love to take top 5 defenses and ruin them. Bryd is overpaid and even if he produced in NO like he did here he is not worth that money, but on the other hand don't we still need a safety? This seems to be a time where both the player and team made it work.

I think you need to read the article over, and a little more carefully.

There’s a new defensive coordinator upcoming in Dennis Allen, and we all saw what happened last time the team made a change in that area. The Saints went from the NFL’s worst defense in 2012 to a top-five unit when Rob Ryan replaced Steve Spagnuolo.

hmmmmm.

Rob Ryan took over the Cowboys in 2011 and took them from #23 to #14 and then #19 in 2012. So both years were an improvement. Then he left and in 2013 they finished #32. So they were worse the years directly before and after him.

He took over the Saints in 2013 and took them from #32 to #4. Then they dropped back to #31 with him and finished at 31 after firing him this year. I looked back through New Orleans and they finished #24 in 2011, #4 in 2010, #25 in 2009, #23 in 08, #26 in 07, and #11 in 06. So in the last 10 years the Saints have had a top 5 defense twice and once with with Rob Ryan.

So I don't see any top 5 defenses he has ruined. I see mediocre defenses that he has coached with 1 very successful year and 1 really poor year.

Make sure you post your reading comprehension award along with your SAT score of 200.

hmmmmm.

Rob Ryan took over the Cowboys in 2011 and took them from #23 to #14 and then #19 in 2012. So both years were an improvement. Then he left and in 2013 they finished #32. So they were worse the years directly before and after him.

He took over the Saints in 2013 and took them from #32 to #4. Then they dropped back to #31 with him and finished at 31 after firing him this year. I looked back through New Orleans and they finished #24 in 2011, #4 in 2010, #25 in 2009, #23 in 08, #26 in 07, and #11 in 06. So in the last 10 years the Saints have had a top 5 defense twice and once with with Rob Ryan.

So I don't see any top 5 defenses he has ruined. I see mediocre defenses that he has coached with 1 very successful year and 1 really poor year.

His brother certainly has a better resume of solid defenses. But he's inherited some teams lacking major talent, and got a lot out of them. Dallas and NO both had cap problems in his times there, and lost lots of solid players. His big issue recently appears to be disagreeing with the head coaches.

hmmmmm.

Stop using facts.... That is not allowed around here....

hmmmmm.

Great post. Look at the greatest QB's of the last 30 years. Virtually every head coach that coached them for the bulk of their respective careers will at worst be on a Hall of Fame ballot. Talent is like 90% of the equation. Edited by metzelaars_lives

His brother certainly has a better resume of solid defenses. But he's inherited some teams lacking major talent, and got a lot out of them. Dallas and NO both had cap problems in his times there, and lost lots of solid players. His big issue recently appears to be disagreeing with the head coaches.

The main thing that gives me pause about Rob Ryan was the report that 2 years ago, there were problems with late defensive play calls and late defensive substitutions, and that last year expectations for change were laid out and not met. This is per Payton, of course, so one could call it "disagreeing with the head coach", but it sounds like the sort of thing that could be fact-checked pretty readily.

So last year, we had a dose of the same problems. Therefore, taking the Payton comments on Rob Ryan's firing at face value, bringing him in did not sound like a wise strategy to address these problems.