Titans Release Zach Mettenberger; Claimed by the Chargers

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

You do not know what Cardale will do in the future--you don't.

I also fail to see how a guy with 0 wins and 12 TDs/14 INTs in 10 career starts is the model of "what a QB looks like".

I think there's ability there, and he hasn't bombed out yet (which puts him ahead of EJ IMO), but let's not go the silly route.

People that study the game know what a QB looks like. Ohio States 3rd string QB is nowhere even in the realm of Zach Mettenberg. Maybe the plan is in 3-4 years he might be but he's not even close right now. And you are correct, Mettenberg is better than EJ.

Agreed on both accounts--I actually had him as an R4 in 2014.

Totally unrelated side note: did you see that Chicago signed Kieran Duncan? Didn't he catch passes from your guy Bonner?

I didn't see that. Paul Browning got all the hype at WR but Duncan had a nice junior year with Bonner. Did a lot of ST work as a senior, only way he's going to stick.

I actually had a 2nd round grade on Mett. I was probably a little too enamoured with the arm strength. :lol:

I didn't see that. Paul Browning got all the hype at WR but Duncan had a nice junior year with Bonner. Did a lot of ST work as a senior, only way he's going to stick.

I actually had a 2nd round grade on Mett. I was probably a little too enamoured with the arm strength. :lol:

Doesn't mean a lot in combination with questionable decision making, spotty accuracy, and slow foot work.

My reasoning is simple: I think Mettenberger has a better chance (albeit slightly) to not lose the game if he has to play, whereas EJ legitimately lost the Jacksonville game when all he had to do was not turn the ball over.

Homer

:lol:

EJ also brought us back and got us the lead in that game. He could have completely melted down after that set of disastrous plays in the first half. But, instead he re-grouped gathered himself and came out balling in the second half. That shows me a lot and it amazes me how so many people overlook it.

Doesn't mean a lot in combination with questionable decision making, spotty accuracy, and slow foot work.

Maybe I was a little naive in my assessment of him. I had him pegged as a 3 year project but a lot has to go right to work on those flaws.

I'm all for giving a guy a second chance when I think he's got something about him.

People that study the game know what a QB looks like. Ohio States 3rd string QB is nowhere even in the realm of Zach Mettenberg. Maybe the plan is in 3-4 years he might be but he's not even close right now. And you are correct, Mettenberg is better than EJ.

Yes, they do.

That's probably why he was a 6th round pick behind guys like Garropolo and Aaron Murray.

Both Mett and Jones fell into the same category for me: guys that had a measure of success in college, have the right physical make-up, but were a long way from being ready to start for an NFL team.

I thought there was a possibility someone would take a crack at him on day 2...I just didn't see enough from him at LSU to push him up that high.

EJ also brought us back and got us the lead in that game. He could have completely melted down after that set of disastrous plays in the first half. But, instead he re-grouped gathered himself and came out balling in the second half. That shows me a lot and it amazes me how so many people overlook it.

That's true.

EJ's always been a bit of a bounceback guy--even as a rookie, his best games came in weeks following his worst games (i.e. the NYJ home game that followed his Pittsburgh debacle, and the final 3 Qs of the game at Jax that followed his brutal performance in TB).

Good point. You gotta wonder if the Titans know something about Mettenberger that the rest of us don't.

Something like that he sucks? He's a QB that has been poor overall but has showed occasional flashes that make you think he could be something much more. Those occasional flashes have stayed just that - occasional. He also brings some serious character issues with him. It'll be interesting to see if he makes it through waivers.

if i recall, he was upset with how everything shook out and him not getting a more legit shot.

i dont think he will be THE guy, but i think hes a viable backup. we already have one of those though in my book so im not too interested.

Actually, in the second half he threw a horrible should-have-been easy pick in the end zone that was dropped. The play that gave the Bills the lead was a defensive interception returned for a TD. And he totally choked on the Bills' final possession. Let's not blow up what he did in that half as Montana-esque.

Pros: He has a really good arm. He seems to be somewhat of a gamer. Don't have to trade for him.

Cons: He essentially costs what we pay him + what we pay EJ. He's a statue in the pocket. Doesn't throw a great deep ball. Holds the ball, and has a slow release.

My thoughts: Not sure he's an upgrade over EJ, who has a year and change in this offense. I'm not a big EJ homer, but backup QBs all kind of suck. If they were good, they'd start somewhere. And we just drafted someone as our project/3rd string QB. I'd bring him in as a camp arm if he doesn't garner interest elsewhere, but I'm not sure he's a great fit in our offense.

Edited by dneveu

Much better than EJ or Cardale will ever be. He will be snatched up by a team that actually knows what a QB looks like pretty quickly

Shame all the people who see him in practice everyday thought he sucked. Shoulda hired a guy like you who "knows what a QB looks like" Am I right?