1. 1. Should OJ's #32 be unretired?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not retired. IMO, it's ridiculous to try to pretend that OJ Simpson isn't one of the greatest Bills ever who is also one of the greats in NFL history.

Agree that just looking at OJ the football player he is one of the best ever. Maybe second only to Jim Brown.

However, not unlike Pete Rose the football player is also a person who has a life and impact beyond the field. I don't think his jersey should be officially retired. However, as a means to avoid controversy it should also not be assigned out until after OJ has passed on. To me this seems like a balanced approach to the issues.

The fact that OJ turned out to be a despicable human being does not diminish his accomplishments as a football player. I don;t want to see #32 being worn by anyone at Buffalo. If I recall, Buffalo has only officially retired one number and that is #12 and soon to also be #78. Other numbers are just not handed out. Keep not handing it out.

Would anyone want to wear it?

You'd be surprised. Our udfa this year didn't know about the Bills SB's until he watched the 30 for 30.

In a few years kids won't have been born until after the OJ trial.

It won't mean the same to them as it does to people now.

Tim Graham is a putz.

What OJ did on the football field has nothing to do with what a scumbag is his off it, if that was the case you could probably take a bunch of people out of the HOF. The guy was and still is in the top 3 players to ever be a Bill.

Agree that just looking at OJ the football player he is one of the best ever. Maybe second only to Jim Brown.

However, not unlike Pete Rose the football player is also a person who has a life and impact beyond the field. I don't think his jersey should be officially retired. However, as a means to avoid controversy it should also not be assigned out until after OJ has passed on. To me this seems like a balanced approach to the issues.

I agree totally

No way. One of the best ever. Point.blank Period. I'm betting most of the people who vote yes never lived through his heydey or saw him play live.

Besides, his son did it.

Tim Graham is a putz.

What OJ did on the football field has nothing to do with what a scumbag is his off it, if that was the case you could probably take a bunch of people out of the HOF. The guy was and still is in the top 3 players to ever be a Bill.

Um ... there is a huge difference between a garden-variety a-holish knucklehead-mook athlete and a double murderer. No one compares to OJ in terms of vileness. Basically, you can't compare like to like because there is no like to like. Rae Carruth is your best comparable.

I honestly can't believe there's a contingent here who argues for keeping it up. The fact that he was a good football player pales in comparison to what he did.

It isn't retired is it? If they had officially retired it they should un-retire it. But they didn't. I think nobody wearing it is a sensible step. I wouldn't want to wear it I don't think because it would become a story.

They should remove him from the wall though in my opinion.

It shouldn't be retired or honored in any way but no one would wear it anyway.

I agree with this. I also agree that Timmah sucks at his job.

For the love of everything holy or unholy ... get his name and number off the wall and never have any reference to 32 in any current or future Buffalo Bills stadium.

The sooner that number, jersey and the player who wore it disappear, the cleaner this planet will be.

It isn't retired is it? If they had officially retired it they should un-retire it. But they didn't. I think nobody wearing it is a sensible step. I wouldn't want to wear it I don't think because it would become a story.

They should remove him from the wall though in my opinion.

Right. Let's pretend he never existed. Let's get rid of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial too since they both did despicable things to other human beings as slave owners. The notion of erasing people from history is nonsensical IMO.

Right. Let's pretend he never existed. Let's get rid of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial too since they both did despicable things to other human beings as slave owners. The notion of erasing people from history is nonsensical IMO.

Great point. The sooner people realize that being good at football is as important to American history as being the leader of our nation, the sooner we can make America great again!

Wow. That's a well thought out and well reasoned opinion. I totally agree.

The fact that OJ turned out to be a despicable human being does not diminish his accomplishments as a football player. I don;t want to see #32 being worn by anyone at Buffalo. If I recall, Buffalo has only officially retired one number and that is #12 and soon to also be #78. Other numbers are just not handed out. Keep not handing it out.

Agreed completely.