Cordy's Glenn extended

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So about $8.6M if you account for rookies. And you figure they'll get another $5M or so in cap room when they extend Gilmore for about $13.6M in cap room. But I still wouldn't give TT a new deal.

@mikerodak

Cordy Glenn received a $16M signing bonus. He has roster bonuses of $2M from 2017-2020.

Cordy Glenn base salaries (full details to follow):

2016: $3M

2017: $9M

2018: $9.25M

2019: $7.25M

2020: $7.5M

The Bills have gained about $7.5M in 2016 cap room by extending Cordy Glenn. They now have $14.207M in 2016 cap room.

So the contract looks like this-

* ---- Base salaries in 2016 and 2017 Fully guaranteed along with $16M signing bonus

** --- $8M of 2018 base salary guaranteed against injury but not for skill

2016 ----- $3M(BS*) + 3.2M(SB) = $6.2M Cap Hit

2017 ----- $9M(BS*) + 3.2M(SB) + 2M(RB) = $14.2M Cap Hit -- Dead Cap If Cut = $21.8M / If Traded = $12.8M

2018 - $9.25M(BS**) + 3.2M(SB) + 2M(RB) = $14.45M Cap Hit -- Dead Cap If Cut/Traded = $9.6M

2019 - $7.25M(BS) + 3.2M(SB) + 2M(RB) = $12.45M Cap Hit -- Dead Cap If Cut/Traded = $6.4M

2020 --- $7.5M(BS) + 3.2M(SB) + 2M(RB) = $12.7M Cap Hit -- Dead Cap If Cut/Traded = $3.2M

Additional $5M available in incentives/performance bonuses.

Edited by Tuco

So about $8.6M if you account for rookies. And you figure they'll get another $5M or so in cap room when they extend Gilmore for about $13.6M in cap room. But I still wouldn't give TT a new deal.

Of course you wouldn't. Why sing an up and coming QB when he's fairly cheap? Mediocre teams looking to take that next step have always succeeded by dumping huge sums into LT and CB....

@mikerodak

Cordy Glenn received a $16M signing bonus. He has roster bonuses of $2M from 2017-2020.

Cordy Glenn base salaries (full details to follow):

2016: $3M

2017: $9M

2018: $9.25M

2019: $7.25M

2020: $7.5M

The Bills have gained about $7.5M in 2016 cap room by extending Cordy Glenn. They now have $14.207M in 2016 cap room.

That's a huge gap from the initial reports

Of course you wouldn't. Why sing an up and coming QB when he's fairly cheap? Mediocre teams looking to take that next step have always succeeded by dumping huge sums into LT and CB....

I don't think you have a grasp on the situation. First of all, he's not "fairly cheap" or even cheap at all. His floor is Osweiler's contract at $18M/year. Second of all, the Bills have him signed for the season at $3M and don't need to do anything because he won't make the monumental mistake of holding out or half-assing it because that would just hurt him. At worst he gets a deal averaging $20, maybe $21M/year if he has a good season where he shows he can do more than what he's shown. Third, the Bills tried "signing an up and coming QB when he's fairly cheap" with Fitz back in 2011. I remember you hated the move and it ultimately proved to be a mistake. Why repeat it now?

@mikerodak

Cordy Glennns 2017 base salary of $9 million is guaranteed. $8 million of his $9.25 million base salary in 2018 is guaranteed.

Cordy Glenns 2016 cap number will be about $6.2 million, down from $13.7 million under the franchise tag. Saves $7.5M against 2016 cap.

Overdorf is a genius!

:D

I don't think you have a grasp on the situation. First of all, he's not "fairly cheap" or even cheap at all. His floor is Osweiler's contract at $18M/year. Second of all, the Bills have him signed for the season at $3M and don't need to do anything because he won't make the monumental mistake of holding out or half-assing it because that would just hurt him. At worst he gets a deal averaging $20, maybe $21M/year if he has a good season where he shows he can do more than what he's shown. Third, the Bills tried "signing an up and coming QB when he's fairly cheap" with Fitz back in 2011. I remember you hated the move and it ultimately proved to be a mistake. Why repeat it now?

I doubt he's looking for 18m right now. Another year like this past and he will want a lot more.

If the Bills low ball him next off season, he will go elsewhere, like Osweiler. Then the Bills start all over again at QB.

Fitz isn't/wasn't a low milage young starting QB. Also, signing or not signing Fitz has absolutely nothing to do with re-signing TT.

I doubt he's looking for 18m right now. Another year like this past and he will want a lot more.

If the Bills low ball him next off season, he will go elsewhere, like Osweiler. Then the Bills start all over again at QB.

Fitz isn't/wasn't a low milage young starting QB. Also, signing or not signing Fitz has absolutely nothing to do with re-signing TT.

I think he's absolutely looking for at least 18 mil. His resume is better than Brock's and the market is there. His agent knows that he could get it elsewhere too.

I'm in agreement that we shouldn't sign him until the offseason. If he stays healthy and even does just what e did last year, you franchise him and work out a long term deal.

If we want TT, meaning he has the year we hope, he's going to demand 18+, but he wants that now too. If we get one more year to evaluate he truly can do the over the middle quick throws and release in 2.2 seconds, then he's worth it. We'll have the money next year.

Why rush it? Now Gilmore if we can lock him up early, then absolutely do it quickly. He will be excellent for a long time and we keep sending the message to the young guys like Watkins, you'll get your payday, just deliver on your rookie contract.

What makes you think TT's agent isn't looking for at least what Osweiler got, considering he started twice as many games, had better stats all around, and made the Pro Bowl (deserved or not, he made it and Osweiler didn't)? I don't know if you read any of his agent's comments, but he's not looking to give the Bills a hometown discount.

As for lowballing him next season, depends on the season he has. If he plays well, they're looking at giving him $20M/year at least. If not, he'll be gone.

And Fitz was low mileage and while 28 years old, at a position where guys can play well into their 30's. And the mistake there, just like it would be here, is extending a guy only to see him flop. Give TT the season and then make a decision. There is no need to rush.

Glenn's cash flow is:

Year 1 - $19M

Year 2 - $11M

Year 3 - $11.25M

Total - $41.25M

Compare that to the other top deals and you can see Cordy is #2 in the league, second only to Trent Williams cash flow:

Terron Armstead:

Year 1: $11.72M

Year 2: $9.3M

Year 3: $10.3M

Total: $31.32M

Year 1: $15.5M

Year 2: $16.97M

Year 3: $11.5M

Total: $43.97M

Cap tip to Glenn and his agent, I think they did a real nice job here. Side comment, a contract this massive and with this much money on the frontside of the contract makes me feel supremely confident the Bills will have a deal done with Gilmore in due time. It's very tough to turn down $30M over 2 years in a sport where you can injure your body and be done for good. Gilmore has made just over $12M over his career, it'll be tough to turn down a $18M signing bonus, which is probably what the Bills will offer.

That's a huge gap from the initial reports

Yeah, you always have to wait for the full details to come out. Here's the OTC breakdown:

http://overthecap.com/player/cordy-glenn/222/

Brilliant move by OBD to pay Cordy's jack **** in 2016. Love me some $8M in cap room.

It is pretty standard for contracts of this size to be structured like this. Player gets cash upfront and some additional cash guarantees early in the contract and the team gets to kick a nice chunk of the cap hits into future years. Oh, and Cordy is getting paid very well this year. He already got a check for $16M and he's getting $3M more in salary in 2016. Edited by BarleyNY

Yeah, you always have to wait for the full details to come out. Here's the OTC breakdown:

http://overthecap.com/player/cordy-glenn/222/

It is pretty standard for contracts of this size to be structured like this. Player gets cash upfront and some additional cash guarantees early in the contract and the team gets to kick a nice chunk of the cap hits into future years.

It's essentially a 2-year deal with 3 consecutive $2M team options

For people clamoring to sign Tyrod now, relax. There's plenty of space to use the franchise tag if necessary next year not even counting the $6.5M saved with Glenn.

They have $13.5M dead cap rolling over. And then you have the salaries of players who are backups in the last year's of their deals and are unlikely to get signed back, such as Manny Lawson and EJ, who come to about $6m. And then there is the $3 M that is Tyrod's contract this year.

We're at $21.5 M without cuts or restructure (though I think Gilmore might help if they sign) from just that. We will have no problem using the tag.