Bills decline to exercise 2017 option for EJ Manuel

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but how about that time he drew the jets D offsides, amirite

LOL believe it or not that **** showed a lot of character though. Thats a trait you cant teach, you either got it or you dont, just wish that made him throw more accurately.

obviously this was to be expected.

but the world works in strange ways.

at the end of last season, who would have thought Mark Sanchez would be the former Eagles QB starting for the defending Super Bowl champ, and after his $11MM+ bonus, Sam Bradford would be the one demanding a trade?

it's entirely possible this isn't EJ's last season in Buffalo

Edited by truth on hold

He'll have no problem finding work.

Nope. He's one of the better backups, at this point. And if he can erase some of the horrible development, he might even be starter material some day. He really needed the TT treatment coming out of college (sit for a few years behind a vet, with a good developmental coaching staff), instead he got... well... a **** show.

That's what EJ said the first half against the Jags.

I like EJ and wish him success but that 3 series stretch was the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life.

But you know what? The guy fought back and had the Bills in a position to win. That is something I've always noticed about EJ. Terrible starts but something would click later.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15448758/buffalo-bills-decline-fifth-year-option-ej-manuel

His best bet is to negotiate an extension outside of option.

The comment about a fully guaranteed $2.8M base salary is incorrect. His fully guaranteed salary is $1.6M. His cap hit is $2.8M.

Picking up his option would bump his salary to $11.4M next year.

I wonder how long they debated.

Lmao

He was worth a shot, they just picked the wrong year to have to draft a QB.

I think he has a chance to be a number 2 somewhere maybe. I'm guessing that he gets a 2 year deal somewhere as a borderline #2. Those 2 years will determine if he sticks in the league. If he makes it through as a reliable backup he will kick around for a while after.

Sounds right. I bet we even see him start another game or two somewhere someday. Too bad- he would have been so easy to pull for if he had the goods.

I like EJ and wish him success but that 3 series stretch was the worst QB play I've ever seen in my life.

But you know what? The guy fought back and had the Bills in a position to win. That is something I've always noticed about EJ. Terrible starts but something would click later.

Brett Farve had a little of this, but his lows were rarely that low and his highs were so incredible

I couldn't agree more, Promo. I got up and turned away from the tube after that last turnover and score. To me it was the J.P. Losman game at Jacksonville Thanksgiving weekend Sunday in 2007 all over again. That game tore it for me wrt JP. Same with the London game for EJ. I wish him well, and unlike probably half or more of the folks here, I don't know that this will be his last season as a Bill. They're just not going to pay him like a starter.

that 3 play stretch was bad but nothing compares to the 1st qtr Geno had vs Bills at MetLife in 2014.

He was worth a shot, they just picked the wrong year to have to draft a QB.

The Bills have drafted how many QBs in the 1st round in their history? Seems like there is an argument to be made that they were doing more than taking a shot. Although some arguments have it that Kevin Kontinuous Konkussion Kolb was The Man.

It was a bad year to draft a QB. But some would argue that doesn't excuse a lack of foresight, or painting themselves into a corner with Fitzpatrick, and failing to develop depth at the position from day one when Chan Gailey walked through the door.

I was actually psyched about the EJ pick. To this day, I think it was the right pick at the time. That was the worst draft ever (literally). A guy who still plays right guard went first overall. Freaking Dion Jordan went like third overall, right? Is he even in the league at this point? And EJ came out of the gates great. After two games, even Jerry Sullivan was like "yup, the Bills nailed that one." I'll never forget- I was watching the Carolina game at Nevada Smith's in NYC going nuts: "we've got em! We've finally got out franchise QB!!" After that however, his regression was startling. A season derailed to some extent by injuries, he sucked most of the rest of that year, including debacles in New York, Tampa and Pittsburgh, among others. But top to bottom, ehh decent enough rookie season. Certainly worth handing him the reins his second year to see if he picked anything up in a full offseason as a starter. But then after two wins as a classic game manager, he played two of the most awful football games a player can play as an NFL QB. And then it began. All the TBD goodness that you and I have come to love so much, was born in an instant. You would hear things like "oh sure, ONE play (the JJ Watt play) and now he sucks..." Or my personal favorite, "ya know, Joe Flacco had a bad game against Houston once too..." Then after the 2014 season, there remained about, let's say, a quarter of the people on TBD who were still optimistic that he could pull something out of his ass and reclaim the starting job last offseason. I spent an entire summer telling those people they were crazy (along with my former ally FireChan) but they kept holding onto this dream. He lost the job and his stable dwindled to just 10-15 or so. "He never got a fair shot!" they would say. "He was actually better than Taylor- remember the scrimmage?!?" "The coaches were biased..." And then it happened. Jacksonville. London. The game- YOU WOULD THINK- that would eradicate any EJ believers once and for all. But no. Three men stood strong amongst all the naysayers. One of those brave men, Bills Fan 4 Ever, couldn't take the animosity and it drove him to the brink of madness- so much so, that he had to leave TBD altogether. Hope you're out there, somewhere, reading this little buddy. We miss ya. But two men- two TBD warriors- carry on the torch. And they fight the brave fight every day. Whether it be in the shoutbox or right here on the Wall- you can't miss em. And I commend those two men. Sure they might not know anything about NFL QB analysis and sure, they blatantly hold a grudge against Tyrod Taylor because they are still butthurt about EJ but I appreciate them making this place a little more colorful nonetheless. Ryan L Billz, Gugny... I salute you. We all salute you.

Edited by metzelaars_lives