Bills decline to exercise 2017 option for EJ Manuel

I really hope EJ lands somewhere with a decent coaching staff, preferably with a head coach who will give him a fair shot at the job, and not another head coach who wants "his guy," instead of, "the better guy."

I still think EJ can be a starter and a good one. Much like Fitz, EJ's time in Buffalo is done, whether he's the best QB on the roster, or not.

I don't wish injury on any player in the NFL. But if EJ gets a shot this season, which I believe is very likely, I hope he kicks ass and carves out a nice career for himself.

He's been a class act and a hard worker since day one. He deserves for great things to happen.

Do you likewise wish for good things for Taylor? Has he not been a class act and a hard worker? Does he deserve great things? This obviously is not about football for you. What is it you love about EJ Manuel, the man, and loathe about Tyrod Taylor? I must know. I am fascinated by you.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you likewise wish for good things for Taylor? Has he not been a class act and a hard worker? Does he deserve great things? This obviously is not about football for you. What is it you love about EJ Manuel, the man, and loathe about Tyrod Taylor? I must know. I am fascinated by you.

I've said from day one that I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Taylor.

Also, from day one, I've not said one negative word about his work ethic or character.

This is 100% about football. Just because I'm a Bills fan doesn't mean I need to think every Bill is great ... even the QB.

I simply don't think Tyrod Taylor is a very good QB. But this is an EJ thread, so we should stay on topic.

And I appreciate your fascination, thank you!!

i think he has a chance to surpass EJ as the backup, but it's a steep hill to climb IMO since EJ knows the offense, has already been throwing to some of these WRs for years, and has much more game experience. He's not good but most backups aren't (hell some starters aren't). I would be shocked if it happened.

I certainly hope not. If Taylor gets hurt the Bills have to play EJ. Cardale Jones should be treated like a redshirt player. He should be just there to learn, don't rush him.

I've said from day one that I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Taylor.

Also, from day one, I've not said one negative word about his work ethic or character.

This is 100% about football. Just because I'm a Bills fan doesn't mean I need to think every Bill is great ... even the QB.

I simply don't think Tyrod Taylor is a very good QB. But this is an EJ thread, so we should stay on topic.

And I appreciate your fascination, thank you!!

It's not fascination, I assure you. It's an obsession. The mere mention of EJ brings it out like saying Palin! Bush! on PPP. :lol:

He was worth a shot, they just picked the wrong year to have to draft a QB.

I think he has a chance to be a number 2 somewhere maybe. I'm guessing that he gets a 2 year deal somewhere as a borderline #2. Those 2 years will determine if he sticks in the league. If he makes it through as a reliable backup he will kick around for a while after.

Who would give him 2 years? All they have to do is watch the tapes.

It's not fascination, I assure you. It's an obsession. The mere mention of EJ brings it out like saying Palin! Bush! on PPP. :lol:

Nope. You're wrong. If someone merely mentioned EJ by saying "hey I'm comfortable with him as my backup QB as long as Taylor doesn't miss extended time," I would say "yup, I pretty much agree with that." But when someone takes time out of their day every single day to say such things as:

a) EJ Manuel is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor right now.

b) Tyrod Taylor is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Like literally #32

c) I feel worse about the Bills' QB situation this offseason than I ever have in an any Bills season in my memory (mind you, this man is in his 40's)

and then now:

d) I really hope EJ lands somewhere with a decent coaching staff, preferably with a head coach who will give him a fair shot at the job, and not another head coach who wants "his guy," instead of, "the better guy."

Then yes, I am fascinated by the alternate universe this man lives in.

Who would give him 2 years? All they have to do is watch the tapes.

One of the desperate teams like SF. Chip supposedly liked him coming out. He may go into next year with EJ and an early 1 along with another vet (maybe Gabbert). Something like 2 years $5M with $3M guaranteed. Maybe Chicago?

I don't believe the guy can play in the NFL. There are so many other bad QBs though that he will get a look from someone. Mark Sanchez is a starting QB at the moment, as is Geno Smith and the aforementioned Gabbert. These guys stink. If those guys are starting someone will at least consider EJ for a roster spot.

Nope. You're wrong. If someone merely mentioned EJ by saying "hey I'm comfortable with him as my backup QB as long as Taylor doesn't miss extended time," I would say "yup, I pretty much agree with that." But when someone takes time out of their day every single day to say such things as:

a) EJ Manuel is a better QB than Tyrod Taylor right now.

b) Tyrod Taylor is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Like literally #32

c) I feel worse about the Bills' QB situation this offseason than I ever have in an any Bills season in my memory (mind you, this man is in his 40's)

and then now:

d) I really hope EJ lands somewhere with a decent coaching staff, preferably with a head coach who will give him a fair shot at the job, and not another head coach who wants "his guy," instead of, "the better guy."

Then yes, I am fascinated by the alternate universe this man lives in.

So ... because I don't think Tyrod Taylor is very good (in other words, because I disagree with you - and other homers), I come from an alternate universe.

So ... because I don't think Tyrod Taylor is very good (in other words, because I disagree with you - and other homers), I come from an alternate universe.

Allow me to clarify Gug (not that I want to speak for Metz). Your reservations about Tyrod doesn't make you from an alternate universe. There are certainly some questions that are fair to ask. Your thinking that EJ is the superior player at this point makes you from an alternate universe. There is nothing performance related to support that.

With that being said, everyone is entitled to their opinions on here. That's not the first crazy opinion and it won't be the last. We've all had them. For example, I thought that it would be hard to keep Duke Williams off the field going into last year.

He was worth a shot, they just picked the wrong year to have to draft a QB.

I think he has a chance to be a number 2 somewhere maybe. I'm guessing that he gets a 2 year deal somewhere as a borderline #2. Those 2 years will determine if he sticks in the league. If he makes it through as a reliable backup he will kick around for a while after.

Nix/Whaley picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue...

Time for EJ to move on. He will be picked up someplace and make it another 5 years or so in this league. He won a few games and looked good in some, while looking god awful in others.

I like the plan right now. Develop Jones and see what he can be. Let TT go show what he is this year. If Jones looks good in camp and pre season they may let EJ walk. Trying to stash Jones on the practice squad will most likely not work.

Time for EJ to move on. He will be picked up someplace and make it another 5 years or so in this league. He won a few games and looked good in some, while looking god awful in others.

I like the plan right now. Develop Jones and see what he can be. Let TT go show what he is this year. If Jones looks good in camp and pre season they may let EJ walk. Trying to stash Jones on the practice squad will most likely not work.

The Bills will keep three QBs on the roster, and deactivate Cardale on game days. I don't know why this is difficult for folks to understand.

EJ is JUST FINE as a #2 in this league. Cardale will get his chance but it isn't going to be in 2016.

I agree that it's unlikely EJ is still here in 2017...the Bills may try to keep him as a backup but someone else will probably overpay, believing he can still develop into a competent starting option.

The Bills will keep three QBs on the roster, and deactivate Cardale on game days. I don't know why this is difficult for folks to understand.

EJ is JUST FINE as a #2 in this league. Cardale will get his chance but it isn't going to be in 2016.

I agree that it's unlikely EJ is still here in 2017...the Bills may try to keep him as a backup but someone else will probably overpay, believing he can still develop into a competent starting option.

spot on. on each bullet point.

is it wrong for me to want to watch EJM play one more quarter or even game for the Bills?

Just to wash away that came filth in my mouth from the London game?

Edited by 3rdand12

Nix/Whaley picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue...

That was funny. I love those old lines from Airplane.

As far as the EJ love / hate thing related to TT, well I'm rooting for TT. He has a lot to prove this year though and has to show some improvement in critical areas, but had some great flashes last year.

Regarding EJ, most people I've read agree he was put in a bad position. They really thought they could ease him into the starting role, but Kolb ( Mr. Glass) slipped on a banana peal. EJ like others before him was put in before he was ready. I think of guys like the older Carr who was destroyed by the horrible line on the Texans and ruined him.

With that said, he was a major reach in the first round. Living in FL I watched his games on Saturdays, and he made poor decisions and was inaccurate. Whaley thought he could improve but did not.

Maybe in another situation with a fresh start he can be a capable back up. He proved in Buffalo this is not possible with that Jax game. My gut is he places so much. Pressure on himself he makes bad decisions. I truly hope he can shake it off, sit behind someone and have a long career. I just don't want it to be here after 2016.