Eric Striker

Striker and his 4.80 looks infinitely faster than Shaq and his 4.70. Not a slam on Shaq, more a compliment to Striker and reason why players like him can slip. His tape looks like he has great burst off the line and closes strong. If he only runs a 4.80 it looks like he plays at that speed all the time. Some guys just don't have the straight line speed but they have great burst and playing speed, Striker fits that profile.

A 5'11" guy is always going to appear faster than a 6'3" guy because the longer stride makes up the difference between what appears the feet moving faster.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 5'11" guy is always going to appear faster than a 6'3" guy because the longer stride makes up the difference between what appears the feet moving faster.

Understood, I'm a stride runner myself and suffered from good speed/poor footballs speed when I played. Watch the tape, what I'm saying has nothing to do with speed differences in stride. He is much faster off the edge than Shaq. It's not close. He's around the Tackle on some clips nearly in conjunction with the Tackle getting out of his stance. I have seen absolutely nothing on Shaq that showed the same edge/close speed. Feel free to disagree with my observation of the tape, but it looks overwhelming to me (this is with the understanding that Shaq is anchoring run a lot, just referring to clear pin back pass rush situations for both players).

Shaq

http://www.wgr550.com/Video-One-game-from-every-Bills-draft-pick/22719403

Striker

https://youtu.be/bndBUxbJBc4

You tell me. Look at obvious pass situations for Shaq, not when he's anchoring for the run. I also think it's contain responsibility, but I just don't see Shaq hitting the edge like Striker can even if he was in more of a wide alignment. Shaq is a man. Probably the best edge run setter in the draft. This is just an observations of the edge pass rushing differences of the two. I think Striker can be a very good add for us and I like that he has this element to his game. Need some speed off the corner.

Understood, I'm a stride runner myself and suffered from good speed/poor footballs speed when I played. Watch the tape, what I'm saying has nothing to do with speed differences in stride. He is much faster off the edge than Shaq. It's not close. He's around the Tackle on some clips nearly in conjunction with the Tackle getting out of his stance. I have seen absolutely nothing on Shaq that showed the same edge/close speed. Feel free to disagree with my observation of the tape, but it looks overwhelming to me (this is with the understanding that Shaq is anchoring run a lot, just referring to clear pin back pass rush situations for both players).

Both totally different human beings. One is 5 ft 11 and weighs 227 lbs - the other is 6 ft 3 and 275 lbs of course their edge rushing is different. Show me tape where Striker spins to the inside or bull rushes the tackle and bench presses him. I don't get what you're saying. Do you imply Striker is the better pass rusher than Shaq?

Both totally different human beings. One is 5 ft 11 and weighs 227 lbs - the other is 6 ft 3 and 275 lbs of course their edge rushing is different. Show me tape where Striker spins to the inside or bull rushes the tackle and bench presses him. I don't get what you're saying. Do you imply Striker is the better pass rusher than Shaq?

My point is he plays way faster than his speed and I used Shaq's lower 40 time and game film to illustrate that point.

Edited by KzooMike

Striker also said he's never heard of London Fletcher. In case you want to feel really old.

Fletcher is the best possible result for him and he needs to look up Fletch and get pointers (i.e.make sure you get a lot of snacks for the 2 big DTs in front of you like 10 pounds of ribs)..

Fletcher is the best possible result for him and he needs to look up Fletch and get pointers (i.e.make sure you get a lot of snacks for the 2 big DTs in front of you like 10 pounds of ribs)..

Fletcher was short and stout. As was Sam Mills who also played in the 220s. Striker looks slender and all muscle. Not sure he can hold his ground against NFL OL the way Fletcher and Mills could. If he can, we may have a true steal. He should get a look. He looks much faster than 4.8 speed and anticipation is off the charts. Some guys with bad numbers are just as fast on the field as guys who raced .2 or .3 quicker times.

Fletcher was short and stout. As was Sam Mills who also played in the 220s. Striker looks slender and all muscle. Not sure he can hold his ground against NFL OL the way Fletcher and Mills could. If he can, we may have a true steal. He should get a look. He looks much faster than 4.8 speed and anticipation is off the charts. Some guys with bad numbers are just as fast on the field as guys who raced .2 or .3 quicker times.

i think Kiko ran a 4.78 at the combine. Yet, the rookie version of kiko was very quick to diagnose plays and played with instinct that made him appear faster than he really was. He was a relative tweener for certain schemes due to his size. Could be true here as well.

In what I read the Bills really praised his pass rushing when they reached out. I guess we blew his phone up when the draft ended. Most Oklahoma fans/Big 12 fan comment said he wasn't the best in pass coverage but he was dominating the conference for 2 years and was elite at pass rushing. I'm thinking special teams demon and 3rd down X Factor in the first year. Even if he's not an elite pass defender, he seems great of the edge and instinctual on blitzes, so you can use him in a variety of places on 3rd down with offenses thinking he will rush the passer. If he bails he becomes a fairly athletic pass defender. Rex loves these types. Excited to see what he can add.

Edited by KzooMike

Striker also said he's never heard of London Fletcher. In case you want to feel really old.

That does make me feel really old, so I tell myself that some of these guys have never heard of LONDON.

(OK, maybe...)

Striker and his 4.80 looks infinitely faster than Shaq and his 4.70. Not a slam on Shaq, more a compliment to Striker and reason why players like him can slip. His tape looks like he has great burst off the line and closes strong. If he only runs a 4.80 it looks like he plays at that speed all the time. Some guys just don't have the straight line speed but they have great burst and playing speed, Striker fits that profile.

I know you had other conversations about speed off the line, but I wanted to throw another tangent thought in. (FTR I just said on the other thread that Striker is a one trick pony).

Striker is asked to run around players and Shaq is asked to run through them (many times making a read first).

I still need to see a whole game of Strikers, but he seems to excel at one thing (Edge rushing the passer). In the NFL, where tackles have better feet/technique, I think this strategy will be less effective.

Shaq (whose game tape I've seen a lot of) on almost every play is required to make run/pass/edge reads, and then run through OTs to set the edge on his rush.

I think scheme requirements explains their difference in speed off the ball (not some sort of "football" versus "spandex" speed). For me measurables come in during pass coverage. The highlight video in the UDFA thread showed ONE pass break up for Striker. Shaq doesn't break pass plays up, but he does force throws not to be thrown (and if they are thrown he punishes the receiver).

Why are we even comparing our 1st round pick to a UDFA? Our #1 is better. Our UDFA is really good pass rusher, but is a really good edge rusher.

Shaq

http://www.wgr550.com/Video-One-game-from-every-Bills-draft-pick/22719403

Striker

https://youtu.be/bndBUxbJBc4

You tell me. Look at obvious pass situations for Shaq, not when he's anchoring for the run. I also think it's contain responsibility, but I just don't see Shaq hitting the edge like Striker can even if he was in more of a wide alignment. Shaq is a man. Probably the best edge run setter in the draft. This is just an observations of the edge pass rushing differences of the two. I think Striker can be a very good add for us and I like that he has this element to his game. Need some speed off the corner.

Yep. Shaq's an edge setter and can rush the passer. Our run D should be tough this year. Rags can punish and mop up runners too.

I see Striker as our SS. He's an excellent blitzer. I'd love to see him light up Edelman a few times.

He went undrafted because of his size, but this dude is a baller. Incredible instincts, athleticism, blitz ability, and tackling. I think if he can put on a little weight, he can become one of the steals of the draft. Love that we got him.

special teams guy, that's about it, IMO. plus once he gets with the big boys he'll get hurt in all likelihood

special teams guy, that's about it, IMO. plus once he gets with the big boys he'll get hurt in all likelihood

Not a valid point. He's bigger than most defensive backs and some of the hybrid LB/S guys that are already playing in the league.

London Fletcher was his height but outweighed him by almost 20 lbs. Not the same comparison and completely different skill set.

or maybe you can just slow your roll and see how it works out?

I already know how it's gonna turn out. Practice squad or cut.

London Fletcher was his height but outweighed him by almost 20 lbs. Not the same comparison and completely different skill set.

I already know how it's gonna turn out. Practice squad or cut.

No, you don't.

You may think that, believe that, even feel nearly certain of that.

You do not, by any definition of the word "know", know that.

Period.

My point is he plays way faster than his speed and I used Shaq's lower 40 time and game film to illustrate that point.

Do you see him playing rush linebacker at 227lbs or adding weight. That could change how fast he is. I'm still seeing him having the best shot at safety.

Yep. Shaq's an edge setter and can rush the passer. Our run D should be tough this year. Rags can punish and mop up runners too.

I see Striker as our SS. He's an excellent blitzer. I'd love to see him light up Edelman a few times.

I think considering where and when he will line up is part of the attraction.

Hard to think he will get around many OTs who are not already engaged. Or a Defensive overloaded side. But if so, he does get there quick enough for even the NFL imo.

Lets see how he handles the NFL speed and strength.

Rooting for him, because of his play mostly.

Again, if IK can make the team, this guy can - he's actually athletic...

no kidding,

The more I watched him the more i wondered wtf is this all about.

Striker has highlight film worth watching

I know you had other conversations about speed off the line, but I wanted to throw another tangent thought in. (FTR I just said on the other thread that Striker is a one trick pony).

Striker is asked to run around players and Shaq is asked to run through them (many times making a read first).

I still need to see a whole game of Strikers, but he seems to excel at one thing (Edge rushing the passer). In the NFL, where tackles have better feet/technique, I think this strategy will be less effective.

Shaq (whose game tape I've seen a lot of) on almost every play is required to make run/pass/edge reads, and then run through OTs to set the edge on his rush.

I think scheme requirements explains their difference in speed off the ball (not some sort of "football" versus "spandex" speed). For me measurables come in during pass coverage. The highlight video in the UDFA thread showed ONE pass break up for Striker. Shaq doesn't break pass plays up, but he does force throws not to be thrown (and if they are thrown he punishes the receiver).

Why are we even comparing our 1st round pick to a UDFA? Our #1 is better. Our UDFA is really good pass rusher, but is a really good edge rusher.

+1 If you want to watch the film go ahead but I think you nailed it. For example Kujo missed him a couple times, but most of the time once Kujo got his hands on him it was over. It'd be nice if he developed some counter moves, but I think it's going to be tough for him to be effective in the nfl. Maybe special teams will be the spot for him.

• 3 months later...

Still think his best fit would be a part-time contributor as a Will.

They really should create a new position for the NFL, similar to what the Bills tried to do with Bryan Scott a few years ago. A LB sized safety that is used in nickel and dime packages that comes up and covers TEs and can blitz or otherwise move all over the field. In a game with so many specialized packages you would think there would be room for such a player. If they could get Striker to cover TEs, which I imagine he could be taught to do, he could become a menace on blitzes and terrorize receivers coming across the middle.

They really should create a new position for the NFL, similar to what the Bills tried to do with Bryan Scott a few years ago. A LB sized safety that is used in nickel and dime packages that comes up and covers TEs and can blitz or otherwise move all over the field. In a game with so many specialized packages you would think there would be room for such a player. If they could get Striker to cover TEs, which I imagine he could be taught to do, he could become a menace on blitzes and terrorize receivers coming across the middle.

Some teams have done that type of thing with guys like Mark Barron and Deone Bucannon

He went undrafted because of his size, but this dude is a baller. Incredible instincts, athleticism, blitz ability, and tackling. I think if he can put on a little weight, he can become one of the steals of the draft. Love that we got him.

Maybe Next Year Guys