RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Well the euphoria of the draft didn't last long. 1st pick already needing surgery. The next excuse he can't play because he is healing, followed by he is not having a great year because he couldn't make training camp. That will likely be followed by the term "bust". I hate to be doom and gloom but this team is cursed or had horrible management, or both. Get ready for another long season folks!

Not really because the injury could diminish his effectiveness if he tried to play through the injury. Better to have the guy at full strength given the nature of the edge position that requires him to set the edge against the run and provide pressure as a pass rusher. Hot take over reactions?? Shocker!!

I don't disagree with you, but us fans have some reason to be pissed off. Lawson was sold by the FO as a day one starter that needed to replace Mario Williams, everyone acknowledged the injury but he had been cleared by medical and was expected to get the surgery during the following offseason unless he was essentially unlucky and injured it during the regular season. Lawson himself said in an interview it hadn't bothered him in a couple years.

Then he has an "occurrence" during a non-contact rookie mini-camp? Either our medical staff sucks at evaluating players or our FO lied to us about his chances of playing the season. Given the playoff drought and FO promises, it seems likely the "occurrence" was a significant change of his condition.

I hope Pegula understood that Lawson might be injured this quickly, otherwise I'd be pissed.

I don't disagree with you, but us fans have some reason to be pissed off. Lawson was sold by the FO as a day one starter that needed to replace Mario Williams, everyone acknowledged the injury but he had been cleared by medical and was expected to get the surgery during the following offseason unless he was essentially unlucky and injured it during the regular season. Lawson himself said in an interview it hadn't bothered him in a couple years.

Then he has an "occurrence" during a non-contact rookie mini-camp? Either our medical staff sucks at evaluating players or our FO lied to us about his chances of playing the season. Given the playoff drought and FO promises, it seems likely the "occurrence" was a significant change of his condition.

I hope Pegula understood that Lawson might be injured this quickly, otherwise I'd be pissed.

This is a reasonable take actually. A good representation from the other side of the coin! :thumbsup:

Given the number of games he played at Clemson w/o missing any time, I don't see why either one of these has to be the case.

This is worse than the Maybin pick. At least Mayhem was ready to start the season and get on the field. No team has gotten less out of a first rounder since the Celtics selected Len Bias second overall.

For the Bills, last year was bit worse as we got nothing in the first round

Surgery for Lawson
The Buffalo Bills announced Monday that Shaq Lawson, the 19th overall pick in last month's draft, will undergo surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday.

NFL Media reported last month that Lawson had his shoulder flagged at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Lawson said after the draft that he didn't believe he'd need a surgery to correct the injury, which he played through during his final season at Clemson. Lawson played in all 41 games during his three-year run with the Tigers.

The Bills are spinning this situation in a predictably optimistic manner, but the bottom line is that Lawson's rookie season has turned into an uphill climb. He'll have to get right physically and learn the pro game quickly without the benefit of offseason and training camp preparation. This is a setback with the potential to leave a large void on Rex Ryan's defense.

Surgery for Lawson

NFL Media reported last month that Lawson had his shoulder flagged at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Lawson said after the draft that he didn't believe he'd need a surgery to correct the injury, which he played through during his final season at Clemson. Lawson played in all 41 games during his three-year run with the Tigers.

The Bills are spinning this situation in a predictably optimistic manner, but the bottom line is that Lawson's rookie season has turned into an uphill climb. He'll have to get right physically and learn the pro game quickly without the benefit of offseason and training camp preparation. This is a setback with the potential to leave a large void on Rex Ryan's defense.

Which makes sense because Rex's entire defense is a large void to begin with.

Why NFL Teams Are Concerned About Cyrus Kouandjio's Knee

By Dave Siebert, M.D. , Senior Analyst Feb 28, 2014

Rolling the dice with injured players is risky

Dr. James Andrews told me he's sending a memo to all 32 teams refuting an NFL Network combine report about Alabama T Cyrus Kouandjio's knee

hmmm

Edited by ALF

@AdamSchefter

Shaq Lawson was making swim move on tackling dummy in non-contact drill when he aggravated shoulder injury that will sideline him 5-6 months

Well, that means it was going to happen sooner or later anyway. Now is the best time I suppose.....unless he miraculously made it through the whole season.

The issue isn't that he's hurt. It's that he's hurt, everyone knew about it, and the we thought we were the smartest person in the room.

If we are in win now mode, this hurts. But we do look like clowns, which is our overall MO.

Frustrating.

@AdamSchefter

Shaq Lawson was making swim move on tackling dummy in non-contact drill when he aggravated shoulder injury that will sideline him 5-6 months

Sometimes there is a valid reason a player drops to 19. The Bills as usual thought they were the smartest guys in the room.

best of luck to Lawson. at least Ryan has depth at the position,and I'm sure an excellent plan B. .

The issue isn't that he's hurt. It's that he's hurt, everyone knew about it, and the we thought we were the smartest person in the room.

If we are in win now mode, this hurts. But we do look like clowns, which is our overall MO.

Frustrating.

The bills might STILL be the smartest person in the room.....

If this is why he dropped out of being a top 10 pick (which is where he was slotted to go) and he has the surgery and moves on with his career to have a productive one....then the initial time he misses this year WILL NOT MATTER.

Sometimes there is a valid reason a player drops to 19. The Bills as usual thought they were the smartest guys in the room.

best of luck to Lawson. at least Ryan has depth at the position,and I'm sure an excellent plan B. .

His career is over! :cry: