Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

Here is why I think they will regress...

They lost Damon Harrison which is a huge loss in the middle of their defense. (pun intended)

They lost D'Brickashaw Ferguson who has been a mainstay for 10 years. They replaced him with an oft injured Ryan Clady.

Lost Cromartie and Revis is another year older after looking old last year.

Their schedule is much harder this year than last year.

So in short, they are worse at o-line, d-line, and secondary. They improved at rb and lb.

Heres PFF's outlook on the Jest:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-offseason-grades-new-york-jets/

It's from 2 months ago so it doesn't have Fitz's grade, but it does show a lot of problem areas for them. Clady and McLendon replacing Ferguson and Harrison are huge downgrades. Still a lot of talent on that defense and at WR, but the OL is looking brutal. The Bills success against them last season was due in large part to our defensive front abusing their OL. That looks to be an even bigger advantage for the Bills this season.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@spotrac

The #Jets currently carry an est. -$3.5M in Top 51 cap space w/ Fitzpatricks $12M base deal included. Moves coming.

This is where I'm curious. When you factor in the 1.2M more that will get slapped on when the 53 man roster comes into effect, plus the fact that you want to keep some cash around to sign players for when injuries happen, how to the Jets get $7M or so? The only way I see it is cutting some veteran players or rolling new cintact which overload them even more nextensive year. Which suits me just fine

Heres PFF's outlook on the Jest:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-offseason-grades-new-york-jets/

It's from 2 months ago so it doesn't have Fitz's grade, but it does show a lot of problem areas for them. Clady and McLendon replacing Ferguson and Harrison are huge downgrades. Still a lot of talent on that defense and at WR, but the OL is looking brutal. The Bills success against them last season was due in large part to our defensive front abusing their OL. That looks to be an even bigger advantage for the Bills this season.

Interesting that the right side of their line appears to be a weak link as well.

IIRC wasn't it Rex who exposed Fitzpatrick while he was still with the Bills? As a coordinator and HC he is 8-1 vs Fitzpatrick. Also an interesting tidbit for Fitz's record breaking year... He fell 102 yards short of the passing yards team record. The only record he set was Number of tds. I had thought through the course of this conversation it was both.

This is where I'm curious. When you factor in the 1.2M more that will get slapped on when the 53 man roster comes into effect, plus the fact that you want to keep some cash around to sign players for when injuries happen, how to the Jets get $7M or so? The only way I see it is cutting some veteran players or rolling new cintact which overload them even more nextensive year. Which suits me just fine

I dont know the ins and out of the Revis contract, but think i heard that is like a $17M cap hit this year. Again, don't know the actual salary part of that, but covert to bonus and instant cap savings.

Which is fine by me...i think you will see a massive drop off in play from him this year...and they will be stuck with him for quite a while.

edit..the $17M is all guaranteed salary...so they can get $5M just converting $15M to a bonus.

Edited by plenzmd1

6 Months and the Jets call the shot. Can't say I'm all that surprised really. Osweiler money? Nope. Multi-year deal? Nope. Here's your one year deal journeyman. The biggest potential dilemma now is if by some miracle, Fitz is able to repeat what he did last season. While it's a TBD, I don't think he will.

6 Months and the Jets call the shot. Can't say I'm all that surprised really. Osweiler money? Nope. Multi-year deal? Nope. Here's your one year deal journeyman. The biggest potential dilemma now is if by some miracle, Fitz is able to repeat what he did last season. While it's a TBD, I don't think he will.

Didn't Fitz want a one year deal, and the Jets wanted him for a multi-year. The 12 mil in year one was established for a while it was just they were haggling for how long. Fitz wanting the ability to get out of town/renegotiate if he has another good year.

Didn't Fitz want a one year deal, and the Jets wanted him for a multi-year. The 12 mil in year one was established for a while it was just they were haggling for how long. Fitz wanting the ability to get out of town/renegotiate if he has another good year.

Yes, Fitz 100% won the negotiation. He pitched (months ago) a 1 year $12M deal and the Jets balked. He ended up with a 1 year $12M deal that could turn into $15M if they win the Super Bowl. He got exactly what he wanted.

So he had to wait. Poor baby.

The Jets could have caved like this months ago. You don't think it would have been better for the team to have this inevitability happen before OTA's etc?

You don't even believe this.

By product of their schedule?

They still won 10 games. They are a very talented team with a very average QB who sucks in crunch time.

No more then 6 games is pushing it. IMO they go 8-8 or 9-7.

they could be 0 and 6 or 7 to start the year. it's a brutal start.

Fitz wanted 1-yr 12M deal. Fitz got 1-yr 12M deal, and he didn't have to show up for OTAs.

Jets had to continuously answer questions about why this wasn't getting done, and had their HC say Geno Schmiff would be fine as their starter.

Yeah, the Jets really called their shot.

If I'm a Jests fan I'm not too thrilled with my GM's negotiation "strategy."

@qbklass

The #Jets re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick and repeated their mistake. Mediocrity is their own fault.

http://www.qbmecca.com/signing-ryan-fitzpatrick-mistake/

For the most part (but admittedly not 100%), this is what the Bills have been doing for the last decade and a half. The Bills had 12 of those 16 years starting re-treads from other teams. Flutie, Bledsoe, Holcomb, Fitz, and Orton. The good news from the front office is that they'll only have to worry about one year.

Ok which one of you is "Derrick Klassen"?!

That is the least hot of any hot take ever written on this whole affair. Not a single original thought in that piece.

The most interesting thing I saw in that was the tweet at the bottom where Fitz admitted to not working out much this off season. Not a good look for Fitz if it is true.

Harris isn't that big of a loss. They still have one of the best defensive lines in football.

Loss of Ferguson could hurt if Clady doesn't stay healthy.

Cromartie sucks. It's not a big loss. Revis is getting old, but he's still solid.

There schedule is much harder this year from what it looks like in July. That could change come October. 6 wins seems a little low.

7 to 9 sounds about right.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on Harrison. IMO he was the heart and soul of their run d. They still do have a lot of talent but not as much as last year which naturally tells me it won't be as good.

6 to 8 wins sounds right to me so we aren't far off. However do you think the Jets would be happy about that? Look at the hand wringing that has gone on all off season here going from 9-7 to 8-8. I think last year was a mirage and expect them to come back to reality this year. If Fitz struggles this year or the team regresses in the win column I wonder what his offers will be next year.

The Jets could have caved like this months ago. You don't think it would have been better for the team to have this inevitability happen before OTA's etc?

You don't even believe this.

My post had nothing to do with the Jets: it had to do with Fitz's silly statement of not wishing this on anybody. Ridiculous.

And what was the harm in the Jets waiting to see if he would take less? As long as they got him signed before training camp, nothing really changed. He'll still play his ass off to get a good contract next year.