Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it cracking anyone else up that the re-signing of a journeyman QB who has never won anything is being treated as though it's the biggest news of the offseason by the Jets?

Re-signing Tyrod even if he doesn't win anything next year will be treated with at least equal fanfare.

They aren't rolling with Geno. That's reason to celebrate

Re-signing Tyrod even if he doesn't win anything next year will be treated with at least equal fanfare.

They aren't rolling with Geno. That's reason to celebrate

Probably because it will be viewed as a long term solution to the QB position.

Fitz' signing is a short term band-aid whose ultimate consequence is likely to be the equivalent of avoiding a tsunami but still getting caught in a hurricane.

They cut their punter to make room for Fitz. Because tbh if you have Fitz you won't be needing to punt.

I'm still curious to see what they do to make cap space. I suppose the easiest is to pay Revis most of his fully guaranteed season salary as a signing bonus, but that makes an aging CB very hard to cut.

I'm still curious to see what they do to make cap space. I suppose the easiest is to pay Revis most of his fully guaranteed season salary as a signing bonus, but that makes an aging CB very hard to cut.

True. They have made some bad signings the last several seasons. It shows when you look at their cap situation. They've tied themselves to some players that aren't worth their contracts.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

The 12 million a year makes him the 23rd highest paid starting QB. Nick Foles was 12.25 per. Fitz's contract is right about where it should be.

But how many of the other 9 QBs are still on their rookie contract? Is 1 year at $12M the 'starter money' people insisted Fitz deserved?

My post had nothing to do with the Jets: it had to do with Fitz's silly statement of not wishing this on anybody. Ridiculous.

And what was the harm in the Jets waiting to see if he would take less? As long as they got him signed before training camp, nothing really changed. He'll still play his ass off to get a good contract next year.

Why should any starting QB who set franchise records have to be nickel and dimed up to the opening of camp before his team gives him what he offered months ago? It was obvious months ago he would take no less and it was equally obvious the team would cave in. It was all unnecessary. Why bust his balls, which is exactly what they did....spouting obvious lies like "we are comfortable with Geno" and then leaking out to the press all the crappy offers they made and that he turned down.

Why would you, if you were Fitz, wish that on anybody? What would be your point of doing so?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Why should any starting QB who set franchise records have to be nickel and dimed up to the opening of camp before his team gives him what he offered months ago?

Because he's 43-61 as a starter, has a diminutive arm and sucks.

I look forward to Rex Ryan's dominance of Fitz.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Have to give the Jets props, they played this brilliantly. They got a team-friendly deal and didn't mortgage their future with Fitz. The Bills fan in me was really hoping to face Fitz twice a year for the next 3-4 years.

Have to give the Jets props, they played this brilliantly. They got a team-friendly deal and didn't mortgage their future with Fitz. The Bills fan in me was really hoping to face Fitz twice a year for the next 3-4 years.

The Jets played this horribly.

They dragged out a negotiation that could have been done in March and signed him to the deal he proposed in June. Not only that, they basically showed that if you hold out long enough with the Jets, youll get your demands.

I'm excited to watch this play out in future contract negotiations for the Jets. Expect them to get boned, often

Can the Jets please have several seats. I think they have delusions of grandeur.

Brandon Marshall is now trying to bet his Porsche that he will have more yards than Antonio Brown.

6-10 couldnt be more realistic now

The Jets played this horribly.

They dragged out a negotiation that could have been done in March and signed him to the deal he proposed in June. Not only that, they basically showed that if you hold out long enough with the Jets, youll get your demands.

I'm excited to watch this play out in future contract negotiations for the Jets. Expect them to get boned, often

6-10 couldnt be more realistic now

Didn't they not have the money until Wilkerson signed his deal?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/fitzpatrick-deal-has-phony-second-year-for-cap-purposes/

Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2016, 5:11 PM EDT
502626128-e1469740294951.jpg?w=329Getty Images

Often when surmising, I surmise incorrectly. Last night, I surmised that Ryan Fitzpatrick’s new one-year contract has a phony second or third year, in order to shrink the 2016 cap hit below $12 million.

For change, I surmised correctly.

Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com reports that Fitzpatrick’s contract covers two years, but that the second year will evaporate. With a $10 million signing bonus and $2 million base salary, Fitzpatrick’s cap hit will be $7 million this year and $5 million next year.

This means that, if he’s not on the team in 2017, he’ll count for at least $5 million. If he is on the team, he’ll count for $5 million plus whatever his cap hit is on his next contract.

He also could count for up to another $3 million next year, if he hits the various triggers based on playing time and postseason success. The Jets need to win the Super Bowl before Fitzpatrick gets the full $3 million.