Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

Breer's reporting proves Fitz had nothing to do with the 2 year part of the deal. It's just how the Jets put it on the books. Fitz is getting 10 million to sign and 2 million base--all this year, just as he wanted months ago. Everything you said about him and his agent is wrong. He wanted 12 million and the the Jets figured out a way to give him 12 million for one year. If they "offered" that in the beginning of June, when he demanded it, of course he would have signed. To suggest otherwise continues to lack any logic or sense.

Yep

The Jets gave Fitz EXACTLY what he asked for. He clearly won this negotiation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. And the Jets get to spread it out over 2 years so they don't have to make a lot of moves to fit him under the cap.

enough of this back and forth ferchrissakes if it's that important to you two move it to pm.

So your claim that Fitz didn't want the Jets to "spread it out over 2 years" makes no sense. If they offered him this in early June, he would have taken it because....it's a one year 12 million dollar deal.

enough of this back and forth ferchrissakes if it's that important to you two move it to pm.

Ask Fitz. l'd be willing to bet the Jets would have jumped at this deal months ago. Why wouldn't they?

Why the Jets didn't offer this deal months ago:

1) they didn't have the cap space to handle even a voidable 2 yr deal until recently, after they signed Wilkerson

2) they wanted to have the rights to Fitz for 3 years so they could keep him as a mentor/backup if one of their other QB looks like Truth

3) they thought he'd fold when other offers didn't materialize

Media coverage is that the Jets only increased their offer to what Fitz wanted on the last day before he signed - they went up from $9 to $12M hours from the deadline and Fitz walked in and signed at their deadline. And yes, he gets $12M this year and I doubt he cares how it's structured with the NFL (or cared months ago)

I'm interested in the way the "2 year deal" is actually structured that makes the 2nd year automatically void or player voidable. I'm wondering if the NFL will approve it, since it looks like a fairly blatant way around the salary cap.

Yep

The Jets gave Fitz EXACTLY what he asked for. He clearly won this negotiation.

So, you think that after last season ended, Fitz sat down with his agent and said "Try to get me a 1 year deal for about $12M, I want to be the 23rd highest paid QB next year?" You think the market will be hotter in 2017 than it was in 2016 for 34-year old journeyman QBs?

C'mon now.

The Jets are going nowhere with Fitz. They played an easy schedule last year (as did the Bills) This year is a completely different story. Crossover games are against the NFC West and the AFC North. Two tough divisions. Just a lot to do about nothing over the entire off season about whether Ryan Fitzpatrick would resign with the Jets. No other team even wanted him as a starter. In the past 4 drafts, the Jets have drafted Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenburg. Yet they caved in to Fitzie. You would think one of those three youngsters would step up. Nice drafting John Idzik. Oh I forgot he was fired. LOL

But seriously Fitzie was exposed for what he was in the 4th qtr against the Bills in the last game of the season. Actually in both Bills-Jets games last year. I don't see it getting better for him. I see it getting worse against tougher competition. The love this board gives to Fitz is something I do NOT understand. He won nothing for us in Buffalo. How about we hold our man crushes until this team shows it can finally win. Or for an individual performance that is out of this world.

So, you think that after last season ended, Fitz sat down with his agent and said "Try to get me a 1 year deal for about $12M, I want to be the 23rd highest paid QB next year?" You think the market will be hotter in 2017 than it was in 2016 for 34-year old journeyman QBs?

C'mon now.

This was reported everywhere at the time, but here you go:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/01/report-fitzpatrick-ready-to-take-one-year-deal-with-jets/

C'mon now.

No I think that he proposed a 1 year $12M dollar deal to the Jets and they gave him a 1 year $12M dollar deal that can become $15M. Actually, I don't think that, it's a fact. Fitz asked for it and got it (and then some). I don't know how it can be interpreted as anything but a win?

No, he/his agent said he'd be willing to take a one-year $12 million deal after his initial demands weren't met. Ultimately both sides compromised and he got a 2-year $12 million deal that voids to one year. Although I wonder what the conditions are to get it to void to one year?

No, he/his agent said he'd be willing to take a one-year $12 million deal after his initial demands weren't met. Ultimately both sides compromised and he got a 2-year $12 million deal that voids to one year. Although I wonder what the conditions are to get it to void to one year?

Doc you're being especially obstinate about this one, not sure why, but...here you go:

But here's exactly how the process will work, with voiding Fitzpatrick's 2017 contract year: Five days after the Super Bowl, the contract will automatically void if Fitzparick is still on the Jets' roster. No action needs to be taken by the Jets or Fitzpatrick.

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/ryan_fitzpatricks_jets_contract_heres_exactly_how.html

Doc you're being especially obstinate about this one, not sure why, but...here you go:

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/ryan_fitzpatricks_jets_contract_heres_exactly_how.html

So the Jets won't have to make any moves to fit him under their cap and Fitz got the money he was looking for this year. I think that's a win for both sides. And as I said, at the very least, the Jets lost nothing by waiting since a deal got done before the start of training camp. Fitz's comments were still dumb.

Now we'll see whether he earns the money they gave him and whether "banking on himself" was a smart move or not. IMHO they'll both regret their decisions.

As Beerball said........you are just being obstinate. You were wrong. Fitz got his 1 year $12M-$15M deal. He told the Jets how it was going to be if they wanted him this year and they caved HARD because they know they have an aging team that needs to win now. They were wise to do so but they still lost the negotiation.

WOW---double down!!

As Beerball said........you are just being obstinate. You were wrong. Fitz got his 1 year $12M-$15M deal. He told the Jets how it was going to be if they wanted him this year and they caved HARD because they know they have an aging team that needs to win now. They were wise to do so but they still lost the negotiation.

Yep, they lost when they decided they needed to pay him $12M to likely miss the playoffs again. But they might have won by him not accepting the 3-year deal that paid him more guaranteed money. We shall see, just like we'll see about McCoy, speaking of obstinate.

Yep, they lost when they decided they needed to pay him $12M to likely miss the playoffs again. But they might have won by him not accepting the 3-year deal that paid him more guaranteed money. We shall see, just like we'll see about McCoy, speaking of obstinate.

What Fitz does from here on out has nothing to do with your take on the negotiation. That was nonsense which is par for the course for you.

I also think they will miss the playoffs.

I believe that most of us think that Fitz getting a big raise was a win-win for Bills fans.

As far as McCoy.......I still don't think he will be back in 2017 and I don't see him playing out the string for cheap thereafter.

But I hope he proves me wrong by putting up huge numbers.

Since his existing Philly contract ran thru 2017 it will be pretty damn impressive if he somehow justifies the extension by reverting to his 2013 form and starring thru 2019......something I think NOBODY believes is possible after last year. Perhaps the main difference between me and the apologists is that I don't blame he and his agent for getting everything they could from the Bills........if you guys had to admit that you would hold that against him because you think you have to have a personal connection to the players to root for them.

The Bills just got taken and they not only threw away money but they removed financial motivation by guaranteeing 2/3 of the deal. And he subsequently acted like an unfocused, me-first mercenary last season instead of an all-in member of the Buffalo Bills. I believe he was humiliated by how his season ended in Philly and Washington and he is now saying the right things..............admitting to things I criticized him for on the field and what the media criticized him for off of it. But attitude is just part of the equation for an injury riddled 8th year RB.