What would you do?

Just Jack

What would you do?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you....

• leave them behind, because you're already late leaving?
    • go back and pick them up?

So - you're told that the boat leaves at a certain time. You have a watch, a phone, who knows how many devices that have clocks / alarms that you can program and you can't make it back on time.

Sorry hope you like seeing the stern end of this boat pulling away!!

Saw the same thing happen in Key West. And not just one or two people. Dozens missed the boat (literally and figuratively). Got me thinking about how do you get to your next destination especially if the next place is in a foreign country. Your passport is probably in your room on the boat.

why isn't there an option to drop to your knees and pray? That's what I'd do, praying solves everything

Woman doesn't make it back to the cruise ship on time, so it leaves without her. But her kids are still on board.

Read the full article before deciding....
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-cries-dock-cruise-ship-204400580.html

I'm in agreement with everyone else that's responded. I think this is going to be very lopsided results. The lack of awareness and abundance of self-centeredness sadly doesn't shock me anymore. Inside Edition really amped up the drama in their narrative though! "a heartbreaking drama..." "... leaving their three children on board."

Send out a small pilot boat to pick up the parents, it can pick them up and the ship would only have to pause for a few moments to allow the boat to transfer the parents onboard. BUT, I would charge the mother $10,000 for the service of the boat for inconverniencing the other passengers who were able to tell time and buy trinkets without haggling for the best price and causing such a delay.

Send out a small pilot boat to pick up the parents, it can pick them up and the ship would only have to pause for a few moments to allow the boat to transfer the parents onboard. BUT, I would charge the mother $10,000 for the service of the boat for inconverniencing the other passengers who were able to tell time and buy trinkets without haggling for the best price and causing such a delay.

Something like that happened when i was on a cruise a few years ago. Our late comers boarded from a pilot boat near a little side door.

The boat did wait for a few people at the beginning of the trip when their flight was delayed. Wasn't a big deal as they just sailed through the night instead of leaving at 8PM

Something like that happened when i was on a cruise a few years ago. Our late comers boarded from a pilot boat near a little side door.

The boat did wait for a few people at the beginning of the trip when their flight was delayed. Wasn't a big deal as they just sailed through the night instead of leaving at 8PM

I would have demanded a full refund!

I would have demanded a full refund!

Oh Im sure this me-first mother will have an attorney lined up and ready to go within a week.

The self centered people that inhabit this planet never seem to amaze me. She was certainly told in writing and on announcements when she departed that the ship leaves at a specific time, but out of 22,000 departing passengers, her needs come first. Now she will claim her children were in danger, her trip ruined, and mental anguish and all the other nonsense.

For the ship's attorney, an opening line could start with "So you left your precious children unattended on a ship in a foreign country?" "When you decided to ignore the written advisories of the ships policy regarding returning to board the ship on time, did you think about these same children?" "When we look at the video of you returning from shopping, we notice as you exit the vehicle you have some large shopping bags. What wonderful treasures are contained in those bags that was more important than these children you abandoned?"

Edited by Guffalo

Happened to me in Mexico years ago (well before cell phones). Didnt realize the time had changed and on my watch, i still had an hour. The ship waited a whole hour for me while i stopped and got tacos.

How was that possible? Or were you only Ensign_Quint then?

They have an Uncle on board so I would not go back but if it was just the kids then I would have, or at least arranged for the mom to meet the ship at its next docking location

CBF

You'd go back?? You're going to inconvenience a few thousand people because of two idiots? There are sitters on the ship that will take care of the kids.

Happened to me in Mexico years ago (well before cell phones). Didnt realize the time had changed and on my watch, i still had an hour. The ship waited a whole hour for me while i stopped and got tacos.

Almost happened to a few of us years ago in Mexico......because we were drunk and stupid and when the rest of the cruise ship crowd left the bar we ordered another couple rounds. Fortunately tourist bars in Mexico tend to have a lot of taxis at the ready with drivers who know how to get back to the ship. They were less than five minutes from leaving us.

The fact this woman had kids should entitle her to completely ignore the departure procedure?? That makes absolutely no sense. In fact, she should be investigated for abandoning her children in a foreign country.

Edited by KD in CT

"Go back and pick them up?" How expensive is it to turn around a cruise ship, head back to port, dock, and pick up a late passenger? Hell, the docking fees for the extra half-hour waiting for this woman were probably insane - I doubt Bahamanian officials let cruise ships tie up a slip for a half-hour for free.

The most important missing piece, for me, is where was the mom and why wasn't she there on time?

Regardless, I think I would have posted something on Facebook asking for prayers from complete strangers and people I haven't seen since the day I graduated high school.

EDIT: Regardless, going back to pick them up would not be an option that I would choose.

Edited by Gugny