QB Lynch very high priority for Bills/Jets!!

"if they have any interest in signing TT long term."

Your GM doesn't seem to? Our GM does seem to. Addressing the position and taking this guy in the 1st are not one and the same.

There are 4 teams ahead of us and two behind us without either an established starter or a playoff QB on the roster. If lynch is a franchise QB, why is he still there and no one took him earlier or traded up for him? That's the scenario I discussed. Unless you think the Bills are just smarter than everyone else? If the Jets and Broncos think he is what you seem to think he is, why didn't they trade up for him?

That's a weak point. Trading up is difficult and costly. Those teams you mention probably would like Lynch but can't afford to give up the picks to move up before Buffalo. Besides, he isn't rated that high. That's why I said 19 is the perfect spot to take him. Not every year when you can get a potential franchise QB at 19.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a weak point. Trading up is difficult and costly. Those teams you mention probably would like Lynch but can't afford to give up the picks to move up before Buffalo. Besides, he isn't rated that high. That's why I said 19 is the perfect spot to take him. Not every year when you can get a potential franchise QB at 19.

what about the teams in front of them who don't have a QB? They don't want a "potential franchise QB?" Why isn't he rated that high if he's a "potential franchise QB?" Wentz and Goff are being way over drafted and their teams gave up heaven and earth for them, but Lynch is a "potential franchise QB" and Jets have NO QB and not willing to move up 2 measely spots? And, Trading up is not at all difficult this year :lol:. Almost everyone wants to trade down in this draft and want to find a partner.

@adamschefter

Someone may be laying in ambush, but unless Dallas trades back into first round, hard to find a landing spot for QB Paxton Lynch in round 1.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So what happens if Tyrod plays great the first 4 games of the season and then has a season ending injury. EJ comes in and plays well. Leads team to the playoffs and even a win in playoff game 1?

trade EJ then.

I have 0 faith in EJ to maintain any consistency in the NFL

"if they have any interest in signing TT long term."

Your GM doesn't seem to? Our GM does seem to. Addressing the position and taking this guy in the 1st are not one and the same.

There are 4 teams ahead of us and two behind us without either an established starter or a playoff QB on the roster. If lynch is a franchise QB, why is he still there and no one took him earlier or traded up for him? That's the scenario I discussed. Unless you think the Bills are just smarter than everyone else? If the Jets and Broncos think he is what you seem to think he is, why didn't they trade up for him?

This.

what about the teams in front of them who don't have a QB? They don't want a "potential franchise QB?" Why isn't he rated that high if he's a potential franchise QB? And, Trading up is not at all difficult this year :lol:. Almost everyone wants to trade down in this draft and want to find a partner.

@adamschefter

Someone may be laying in ambush, but unless Dallas trades back into first round, hard to find a landing spot for QB Paxton Lynch in round 1.

everyones got a plan until they punched in the mouth I guess. Meaning on draft day multiple things could go wrong that drive teams to trade up or down or stay put. It seems like year after year we expect more and more trades but sometimes the first few rounds, teams just stay where they are at. With the first 2 QBs (assembly) off the board at 1 and 2, this opens things up to any team looking to draft a QB.

Well, you still haven't addressed my point that Lynch should be the pick if he's available at 19. You are saying teams might be wiling to take him earlier and even trade up to get him before 19. I agree. That's how much he is valued. So if other teams are considering picking him before 19 and even miving up to get him, then if they don't actually do it, then why not take him?

I know there are decent DLs available, but we still don't have a QB, so I can't be excited about the Bills taking Jarran Reed, for example.

That won't change the Bills' situation.

what about the teams in front of them who don't have a QB? They don't want a "potential franchise QB?" Why isn't he rated that high if he's a "potential franchise QB?" Wentz and Goff are being way over drafted and their teams gave up heaven and earth for them, but Lynch is a "potential franchise QB" and Jets have NO QB and not willing to move up 2 measely spots? And, Trading up is not at all difficult this year :lol:. Almost everyone wants to trade down in this draft and want to find a partner.

@adamschefter

I think you look at 2 types of teams to identify who might move up:

1. Win-now teams

2. Teams desperate for a QB

Item 1 teams that aren't classic stay-at-home teams include Arizona, Pittsburgh, KC, Carolina, and Cincinnati.

Item 2 teams include Denver, the Jets, and possibly Arizona and Dallas as well.

I said all along that the trading of the top 2 picks pushed Lynch DOWN instead of up, and I still feel that way. I do think, however, that someone will make a move for him in the 19-26 range.

Well, you still haven't addressed my point that Lynch should be the pick if he's available at 19. You are saying teams might be wiling to take him earlier and even trade up to get him before 19. I agree. That's how much he is valued. So if other teams are considering picking him before 19 and even miving up to get him, then if they don't actually do it, then why not take him?

I know there are decent DLs available, but we still don't have a QB, so I can't be excited about the Bills taking Jarran Reed, for example.

yes, I did. If he is still there at 19, do you think the Bills are just smarter than the teams ahead of them who passed and actually NEED a QB? As in, do not have a starting QB on the roster. And passed on him. If a "potential franchise QB is sitting there and you say "nah" and you do not have a starting QB, what does that say about that player? Unless you think they are smarter than everyone else, why is he a good value there, when the Bills already have a starting QB? Maybe he's a "good value" in the 2nd for the Bills. Or a good value for the Jets at 20, who do not have a starter. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'll address it...

I'm not a Lynch guy. He doesn't scan the field, rushes his throws, takes a ton of behind-the-LOS completions, and generally doesn't show great accuracy on the mid-range stuff on which NFL QBs make their money.

There's only so far that being a big guy with a cannon arm and above-average athleticism can get him, and I think he's there already.

I think you look at 2 types of teams to identify who might move up:

1. Win-now teams

2. Teams desperate for a QB

Item 1 teams that aren't classic stay-at-home teams include Arizona, Pittsburgh, KC, Carolina, and Cincinnati.

Item 2 teams include Denver, the Jets, and possibly Arizona and Dallas as well.

I said all along that the trading of the top 2 picks pushed Lynch DOWN instead of up, and I still feel that way. I do think, however, that someone will make a move for him in the 19-26 range.

I just don't understand the hype for him, it's almost like the Ryan Nassib hype from 3 years ago. Greg Cosell had Nassib as his #1 Qb and thought he'd go in the first. John Gruden, who likes every Qb, said basically the same. What happened? He ends up going in the 4th.

To me, Lynch is easily a day 2 Qb who's been pushed into the 1st round because of hype. This happens every year with a Qb.

I just can't buy the smoke with Lynch and the Bills in the 1st. It doesn't add up to me. There are at least 3 other teams without established starting QBs going into the draft - Browns, jets, Broncos. Add in the Niners as well, I'd think. Then you consider the Saints who have met with him multiple times and may need a new starter as soon as next year. Any of these 5 are more likely to either take him before the Bills (Niners, Browns, Saints) or offer more in a trade up (jets, Broncos) if he is indeed that good. If he's not gone by 19 then how good is he really, with all these QB-less teams passing on him and feeling ok going with the next tier of QBs?

Further, the Bills did not bring him in for a visit, which based on recent history in the Whaley regime, is meaningful for a 1st rd pick. They took him out to dinner, which based on recent history in he Whaley regime is meaningless.

Also, a 1st round QB adds negative distraction to the TT situation if they have any interest in signing him long-term. The media will be all over it. 1st round QB says " we think this guy is our future starter." 2nd round or later just has a different connotation. As in, we think this guy has potential in the league, and it's a priority that we draft a QB because we have 2 QBs on the roster and both have expiring contracts. Which is what Whaley has been saying all along.

I think they are simply trying to add to his trade up value by delivering all the leaks to the media. They will take a QB possibly as early as the 2nd, but I will be shocked if it's Paxton lynch in the 1st, even if he does fall to 19.

I hope I'm not wrong!

Whaley has already laid the groundwork for TT by saying he is the starter next year, regardless of what happens this weekend.

I think the most telling thing from the pre draft actions is Philly's move to #2. I think if any of the second tier guys were good enough to supplant Bradford they would have stayed in place and took a guy or if they felt threatened maybe move a spot or two. By needing Wentz/Goff out of this class even though they have a veteran starter leads me to guess that the 2nd tier of qb's are going later than most expect. I know it only takes one team to like a guy, but I won't be surprised if these qb's drop.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

I'll address it...

I'm not a Lynch guy. He doesn't scan the field, rushes his throws, takes a ton of behind-the-LOS completions, and generally doesn't show great accuracy on the mid-range stuff on which NFL QBs make their money.

There's only so far that being a big guy with a cannon arm and above-average athleticism can get him, and I think he's there already.

To me, he's a combination of Losman and Mallet...

I just don't understand the hype for him, it's almost like the Ryan Nassib hype from 3 years ago. Greg Cosell had Nassib as his #1 Qb and thought he'd go in the first. John Gruden, who likes every Qb, said basically the same. What happened? He ends up going in the 4th.

To me, Lynch is easily a day 2 Qb who's been pushed into the 1st round because of hype. This happens every year with a Qb.

remember Garrett Grayson and Bryce Petty?! Neither do the teams that drafted them last year as they are right back in the market for a new developmental QB.

I say we go ahead and take him at 19 if he's there. He can sit behind Tyrod next year and we'll go from there. Need to keep on trucking and acquiring QBs constantly IMO.

they absolutely need to acquire a QB. Do you think he will be the best player on their board at that time?

I just don't want Lynch with the Jets, nor Conner Cook for that matter. I'm hoping we land Ragland, Reed or Lawson in the first and then take a QB in the second or third. I like Cook and Jones for us.

I just don't see Jones working out in the NFL. I picture Vince Young at his worst.

To YoloinOhio: Maybe said who you'd take at 19, but I must have missed it. If not a potential franchise QB, who do you take?

i do not know who will be available yet, bananathumb. I can't believe I just typed bananathumb.

However you've probably figured out that I don't think lynch is a 1st round talent in this draft. So who I want to take there at 19 isn't some big debate of that player instead of him. I'm not taking him there regardless.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i do not know who will be available yet, bananathumb. I can't believe I just typed bananathumb.

However you've probably figured out that I don't think lynch is a 1st round talent in this draft. So who I want to take there at 19 isn't some big debate of that player instead of him. I'm not taking him there regardless.

Weak. You don't want Lynch but you don't have an alternative. I guess you just pass when your pick comes.

Weak. You don't want Lynch but you don't have an alternative. I guess you just pass when your pick comes.

I think his point is that he could list about 46 players he'd draft before Lynch, but he'll save you the time & speculation and wait to see who is actually available around 10:30-10:45 PM EST tonight.

I personally think that Doug doesn't view his job as entirely secure and to not focus on winning this year - which would require filling some pretty important holes not named QB in this draft - but rather try to worry about what happens if TT isn't here after this year or gets hurt above building the best team he can to win now - doesn't add up. If he does take a QB in the first I can only think he knows he is here for awhile no matter what they do this year. Some GMs have the luxury to think long-term. I don't think he does. It won't matter if you have a QB on a five year deal if you aren't there in 4 years. He had EJ on a five year deal too and no need to even take advantage of the 5th.

Draft a QB in the 2nd-4th to challenge EJ for the backup role in camp and roll.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I would love to see the Jets trade up with someone ahead of the Bills to take him so that another good player falls down to the Bills

heck i would not mind if they just swapped spots with the Bills !

MY draft dream is we trade with either Az or Denver so they can take Lynch. That way we don't have the temptation to draft him and the Jets cannot.

Thats a sweet dream

If Lynch slides into the 20's, I wouldnt throw things if the Bills were to trade back into Rd.1. Think they absolutely have to dedicate a first round pick to an immediate hole.

Cook if he's there tomorrow night would be tempting, think he can go anywhere from pick 15-50. The Bills did have Cook, Prescott, and I think Jones for visits.

Expect the Bills to approach picking the QB with value imo.

There are none for 2016. Maybe long term.

Yea, none of this years QB draft class should start day one.

I don't like Wentz or Goff enough to make them the first and second pick in this year's draft and yet I think there will probably be 4 QB's going in the first round. Goff, Wentz, Lynch and Cook. The only guy I really like is Lynch and would hate to see him as a NY Jet.