Your all time favorite movie

Quentin Tarantino gets a lot of heat, but I really like most of his movies. He's had some stinkers, but overall I really like the unique product he puts out and always look forward to a new release from him.

Hard to argue with QT's library: Reservoir Dogs (the classic shot and use of music is still mimicked today by other directors), Pulp Fiction (changed how indie film makers were looked at by Hollywood -- at least until 2007 -- and relaunched Travolta's career), Jackie Brown (best inclusion of a Rochester accent in film history -- on top of being an awesome flick), Inglorious Bastards (outstanding), Kill Bill 1 & 2 (not my favorites of his but 2 has some of the hist best dialogue work to date)...

Then there's his work as a writer: True Romance (amazing), Crimson Tide (uncredited but his dialogue made that movie), on top of the above films as well.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Michael Mann as a director and I think Heat is his best, followed by Collateral. Heat is the cinematic brother to his NBC TV movie L.A. Takedown.

For me, while the diner scene between Pacino and DeNiro was excellent acting, I thought the movie delivered on a complex storyline AND the action scenes with attention to detail.

I hope it's never "remade."

The diner scene was a classic scene.It was two titan actors in character facing each other and taking the measure of each other, so to speak.

Al Pacino got swindled out of his money I believe by his agent. That forced him to do a lot of projects for the money. It came down to quantity over quality for fiscal reasons. It's obvious that artists are not the best money managers.

Quentin Tarantino gets a lot of heat, but I really like most of his movies. He's had some stinkers, but overall I really like the unique product he puts out and always look forward to a new release from him.

The one thing I love about Tarantino films - his interesting casting. He always plucks once famous actors and actresses back from modern day obscurity. David Carradine, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Lawrence Tierney, John Saxon, Tom Savini, Fred Williamson and Michael Parks. ( I swear he's been in every one of them like Where's Waldo.)

Edited by dpberr

The Jerk

maybe Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Wow, really? The book I can understand, but I've never heard of the movie being talked about that highly.

Agreed. The Stand is my favorite book. Its amazing

However, the TV series was kind of hokey. They stuck to the source material much better than usual with Stephen King... but network TV really had to tone a lot of it down and they didn't get into most of the Societal aspect that really makes the book so good.

Edited by May Day 10

Heat.

One of the nearly perfect bank robbery films in all of cinema and the last great film for both Pacino and DeNiro.

I love this movie too.

Great action sequences and the character development is fantastic.

I dunno...I feel like Pacino was in full caricature mode in that film...

I get what you are saying, and there are a few scenes where he is like that. But, the scene when he is talking to his wife(Diane Venora) in the club about why he doesn't share his job life with her is a very compelling moment. Venora is great as well in that scene. You see where there relationship is going, they both know what's happening and they seem content on what will eventually happen.

Edited by Mark Vader

I love this movie too.

Great action sequences and the character development is fantastic.

I get what you are saying, and there are a few scenes where he is like that. But, the scene when he is talking to his wife(Diane Venora) in the club about why he doesn't share his job life with her is a very compelling moment. Venora is great as well in that scene. You see where there relationship is going, they both know what's happening and they seem content on what will eventually happen.

You can mark the exact moment - "Because she's got a GREAT ASS! And you got your head...all the way up it!" - that his career as "Al Pacino, method actor" ends and his "Al Pacino, screaming maniac" career begins.

I considered it...really, really well done. One of only 5 or 6 movies that I've ever given a 10/10. Off the top of my head, the only others I can think of are Mohicans, The Neverending Story, and The Raid. I know there were others, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank. I came close to giving Memento a 10, but chose against it.

Boom...there's the other 10...thank you.

Yeah lots of good stuff listed there, one other personal favorite is Money Train but that won't be getting a 10 from anyone!

Hard to argue with QT's library: Reservoir Dogs (the classic shot and use of music is still mimicked today by other directors), Pulp Fiction (changed how indie film makers were looked at by Hollywood -- at least until 2007 -- and relaunched Travolta's career), Jackie Brown (best inclusion of a Rochester accent in film history -- on top of being an awesome flick), Inglorious Bastards (outstanding), Kill Bill 1 & 2 (not my favorites of his but 2 has some of the hist best dialogue work to date)...

Then there's his work as a writer: True Romance (amazing), Crimson Tide (uncredited but his dialogue made that movie), on top of the above films as well.

I view Quentin Tarantino as being a little overrated. Now I have not seen "Inglorious Basterds", "Django Unchained", or "The Hateful Eight".

"Reservoir Dogs" & "Pulp Fiction" are very good, and I think "Jackie Brown" doesn't get nearly enough credit. "Kill Bill" is entertaining, but it did not need to be 2 movies long, and "Death Proof" had a good first half, and a crappy second half.

Deranged Rhino, I am glad that you did mention Tarantino's contribution to "Crimson Tide". That is a movie I thoroughly enjoy, and I agree that Tarantino's writing moments really add to that movie.

Throw Rob Roy into the hat:

"Referee: You are here on a matter of honor. I am here to see that you settle it honorably. There will be no back-stabbing, you will not throw your blades, nor will you use weapons other than those agreed. If quarter should be asked...

Robert Roy MacGregor: No quarter will be asked.

Archibald Cunningham: Or given."

Last of the Mohicans

It has everything: great cast, great dialogue, historically significant, great drama, solid action scenes, and an incredible musical score.

I like the prequel - Second Last of the Mohicans