Your all time favorite movie

Hard to pick out just one. These movies seem to always rise to the top of my discussions in the "drama" genre:

Godfather I and II

Pulp Fiction

Shawshank Redemption

Edited by eball

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have different favorites in different genres. But here are a few;

Dumb and Dumber

Old school

Top gun

Last of the mohicans

The newest Rambo

Almost any old James bond (moonraker, octopussy, the spy who loved me,goldfinger, from Russia with love etc)

Star wars 4-7, although 3 wasn't bad.

Act of valor

Die hard

Mini series- the pacific

I'm sure I have others I'll think of later

Heat.

One of the nearly perfect bank robbery films in all of cinema and the last great film for both Pacino and DeNiro.

I dunno...I feel like Pacino was in full caricature mode in that film...

Braveheart!

I considered it...really, really well done. One of only 5 or 6 movies that I've ever given a 10/10. Off the top of my head, the only others I can think of are Mohicans, The Neverending Story, and The Raid. I know there were others, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank. I came close to giving Memento a 10, but chose against it.

Heat.

One of the nearly perfect bank robbery films in all of cinema and the last great film for both Pacino and DeNiro.

Boom...there's the other 10...thank you.

I dunno...I feel like Pacino was in full caricature mode in that film...

Al Pacino is Al Pacino. His volcanic outbursts are part of his persona. What was compelling about this movie was the interplay between Pacino and Robert DeNiro. Although DeNiro isn't known to expansively talk in his movies his mannerisms and body movements are in a sense part of his dialogue.

Al Pacino is Al Pacino. His volcanic outbursts are part of his persona. What was compelling about this movie was the interplay between Pacino and Robert DeNiro. Although DeNiro isn't known to expansively talk in his movies his mannerisms and body movements are in a sense part of his dialogue.

I really liked the movie...I guess I've grown tired of Pacino as he aged.

It really is impossible to pick favorites. I love movies and the moment I try to pick one or a few, I immediately second guess and feel like I'm leaving stuff out, etc...

But I can clearly say that the best experience of seeing a movie in a theatre was Pulp Fiction. I saw it with a good friend of mine when it had just come out. I had seen Reservoir Dogs and knew who Tarantino was, so I was looking forward to it. But seeing Pulp Fiction for that first time just blew me away. The out of sequence storytelling was just awesome and each section had such an effective tension-and-release, I was in awe. I remember being in a great mood after it was over, just thinking, damn that was a great movie.

Edited by Cugalabanza

I really like Michael Mann as a director and I think Heat is his best, followed by Collateral. Heat is the cinematic brother to his NBC TV movie L.A. Takedown.

For me, while the diner scene between Pacino and DeNiro was excellent acting, I thought the movie delivered on a complex storyline AND the action scenes with attention to detail.

I hope it's never "remade."

I really like Michael Mann as a director and I think Heat is his best, followed by Collateral. Heat is the cinematic brother to his NBC TV movie L.A. Takedown.

For me, while the diner scene between Pacino and DeNiro was excellent acting, I thought the movie delivered on a complex storyline AND the action scenes with attention to detail.

I hope it's never "remade."

How DARE you mention that you love Michael Mann without so much as a whisper of Last of the Mohicans?

Quentin Tarantino gets a lot of heat, but I really like most of his movies. He's had some stinkers, but overall I really like the unique product he puts out and always look forward to a new release from him.

It really is impossible to pick favorites. I love movies and the moment I try to pick one or a few, I immediately second guess and feel like I'm leaving stuff out, etc...

But I can clearly say that the best experience of seeing a movie in a theatre was Pulp Fiction. I saw it with a good friend of mine when it had just come out. I had seen Reservoir Dogs and knew who Tarantino was, so I was looking forward to it. But seeing Pulp Fiction for that first time just blew me away. The out of sequence storytelling was just awesome and each section had such an effective tension-and-release, I was in awe. I remember being in a great mood after it was over, just thinking, damn that was a great movie.