No progress toward TT extension per Carucci; agent unhappy

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart move. This is why we like him.

What other choice does he have? Pout? Take the Mario route? He has only one option to put himself in the most favorable position: play well this season. If he does that he would even get a better contract by not signing this offseason. Or another way of looking at it is betting on himself as Flacko did a few years ago when his contract was up.

I laugh every time I see the title to this thread.

In other news, water is wet, story at 5.

Btw, I loved the way TT handled those assinine contract questions. Total pro.

yep. really like this kid and how he presents himself

Promo seems much slower to chime in on this development

Sorry. I don't live here like some people. I'm ready to chime in.

This is great news. I give Taylor a lot of credit for being a man of his word, which is something you rarely see in the NFL, especially when his agent is making noise.

This is shocking

It is because other players have used good seasons as leverage for better deals, even before their contracts are done.

This is great news. I give Taylor a lot of credit for being a man of his word, which is something you rarely see in the NFL, especially when his agent is making noise.

It is because other players have used good seasons as leverage for better deals, even before their contracts are done.

His agent did what agents do. Tyrod's resume isn't long enough to try to force the Bills hand. He knows that. Would he have loved to have gotten paid? Of course but there was (and is) ZERO chance that he doesn't show up and try to earn that big deal. The reality is if he plays as well as I expect he will get a big contract. If he doesn't than he won't, but will be looking at a signicficant raise regardless of what happens this year. If he is really bad, I still think that he is looking at $5M+ a year based on what he has already done. If he is really good he may be looking at $20M.

To be fair, his season wasn't good enough to get the deal he seems to want and he has very little leverage at present. If he held out now the Bills could go get a player like Hoyer and/or find a QB in the draft. Then where would he be? If recent contracts given to young QBs with little game experience - like Osweiler - are used as a gauge for Taylor then one important factor has to be considered: Those QBs didn't hold out for their relatively big deals, they made it to free agency. That's probably what Taylor will need to do if he wants his big payday. Heck, if he does well enough he might still get his deal during this season.

There's one, risky option left for him though if he does want to try to force a new deal. He could wait until after the draft. The remaining free agent QBs should all be signed by shortly after. If the Bills don't add a decent prospect or vet, then Taylor would have more leverage. It'd be a risky move and I don't think it'd work, but he could try it. He's just got so much more to lose than the Bills by holding out, I just don't see it as feasible. He needs to be in house, doing everything he can to be successful. That's how he can make himself the most money. Why sabotage his best shot at success - and huge money - with a hold out for what would be a lesser contract? Of course the flip side is "What if he doesn't earn that big contract?" Obviously that's a possibility, but if he doesn't believe in himself then I wouldn't want to give him a big, new contract anyway.