No progress toward TT extension per Carucci; agent unhappy

I like DW but this is a crappy situation. Not having a franchise QB, Whaley tried to build a playoff team without one. He spent heavily on DE, DT, RB, and other positions. (He also spent heavily in a different way to get Sammy).

For all that, we went 8-8 last year and now can't afford to sign our QB to a competitive contract. Waiting to the end of the season is a risky play.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to be honest. The comments from this agent pissed me off. That "31 other teams" comment especially. Where were those 31 other teams last year. The Bills brought him in and gave him a chance. They built the offense around his strengths and covered his weaknesses. They allowed him to show off his skills and his agent runs his mouth. Sure, Taylor had a good showing when he was healthy. But there are certainly weaknesses in his game and question marks left. Not to mention the fact that the Bills have no cap space to sign him. How about being a good teammate and a leader. Putting out the perception that you'd be happy to go somewhere else if not the best way to get skeptical fans and coaches behind you. Making threats and negotiating in the media, especially when negotiating from a point of weakness right now is not smart. I personally would like to see Taylor issue a statement saying that his agent overstepped with his comments and that Buffalo is the only place he wants to be (even if is not 100% true). Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but this really rubbed me the wrong way.

That said, my gut feeling is that Gilmore gets signed to an extension fairly soon. Tyrod get's signed to an extension in Oct/Nov and Glenn walks in Free agency at the end of the year once the Franchise tag runs out.

He had a low offer to remain in Baltimore, and he had a higher offer than ours to be the backup in Denver. In fact, there is a good chance that if he took the Denver offer he would have started a few games last year and would have another SB ring. You have to realize that after a breakout year and his first year starting, more teams will be interested than when he had 0 starts and 35 pass attempts to his name.

The agent is just doing what he thinks is in his client's best interest. Not sure why it irks people. The problem is he has no leg to stand on. He may want a big FA type deal like the one Osweiller got but the problem is that your client isn't a FA.

If TT plays the way his agent suggest he will then TT's going to get paid very well. He's a FA after next year and he'll either get a huge deal or be tagged. The only advantage of signing him now is if he can be had for a significant discount. If not, then let him prove his worth on the field this season and go out and earn that big contract.

I like DW but this is a crappy situation. Not having a franchise QB, Whaley tried to build a playoff team without one. He spent heavily on DE, DT, RB, and other positions. (He also spent heavily in a different way to get Sammy).

For all that, we went 8-8 last year and now can't afford to sign our QB to a competitive contract. Waiting to the end of the season is a risky play.

I still need someone to explain to me why this is risky.

They can tag him after this season, just as other teams have done with QBs that they didn't want to lose.

He can't leave if they don't want him to--and he'd be crazy not to sign the tag deal if they do choose to tag him.

I have to be honest. The comments from this agent pissed me off. That "31 other teams" comment especially. Where were those 31 other teams last year. The Bills brought him in and gave him a chance. They built the offense around his strengths and covered his weaknesses. They allowed him to show off his skills and his agent runs his mouth. Sure, Taylor had a good showing when he was healthy. But there are certainly weaknesses in his game and question marks left. Not to mention the fact that the Bills have no cap space to sign him. How about being a good teammate and a leader. Putting out the perception that you'd be happy to go somewhere else if not the best way to get skeptical fans and coaches behind you. Making threats and negotiating in the media, especially when negotiating from a point of weakness right now is not smart. I personally would like to see Taylor issue a statement saying that his agent overstepped with his comments and that Buffalo is the only place he wants to be (even if is not 100% true). Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but this really rubbed me the wrong way.

That said, my gut feeling is that Gilmore gets signed to an extension fairly soon. Tyrod get's signed to an extension in Oct/Nov and Glenn walks in Free agency at the end of the year once the Franchise tag runs out.

Excellent post!

I still need someone to explain to me why this is risky.

They can tag him after this season, just as other teams have done with QBs that they didn't want to lose.

He can't leave if they don't want him to--and he'd be crazy not to sign the tag deal if they do choose to tag him.

Because if we tag him, we'll have to pay him roughly $20m and it will bind him to us for just one year. And then what?

I'd rather sign him to a contract that pays him less per year which is what would be happening right now if cap money was available. And (guaranteed money aside) we'll always have the option of cutting him. Contracts commit a player to a team more than they commit a team to a player.

So the risks are twofold, sin contract, (1) we might lose TT eventually, (2) we might end up paying a premium price for TT's services.

Btw, here's what Rex says:

"First off, our entire organization believes in Tyrod Taylor. There's no doubt. However, sometimes when you look at your situation cap wise or whatever, anything that would include an extension for him would have to be in the best interest of both Tyrod and the Bills and right now, it's probably hard to bring those two things together with our cap situation."

In other words, our cap situation is indeed interfering with our ability to do the smart thing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646470/article/rex-tyrod-extension-hard-to-do-with-billls-cap-space

Edited by hondo in seattle

Because if we tag him, we'll have to pay him roughly $20m and it will bind him to us for just one year. And then what?

And then you work out a long term deal. Why is that hard to understand? Players want long term security and guaranteed money. If TT gets franchised that means he's worth that and the Bills will figure out a way to sign him. Teams very very rarely let Franchise-type QBs walk. Sure, agents work the media and make it seem like it could happen but it rarely does.

As to your comment about signing him for less money, you do realise he could just say say no to whatever the Bills offer, right? And let's say he does sign for a lower amount and comes out and has an absolute all-star season, do you think he will be happy with that deal then?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I'd rather sign him to a contract that pays him less per year which is what would be happening right now if cap money was available. And (guaranteed money aside) we'll always have the option of cutting him. Contracts commit a player to a team more than they commit a team to a player.

So the risks are twofold, sin contract, (1) we might lose TT eventually, (2) we might end up paying a premium price for TT's services.

"First off, our entire organization believes in Tyrod Taylor. There's no doubt. However, sometimes when you look at your situation cap wise or whatever, anything that would include an extension for him would have to be in the best interest of both Tyrod and the Bills and right now, it's probably hard to bring those two things together with our cap situation."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646470/article/rex-tyrod-extension-hard-to-do-with-billls-cap-space

It is a lot like the Cousins situation. If TT plays well the Bills will tag him and work on an extension. If they cant reach a long term deal they will tag him again. Any way that you look at it the Bills have TT for 3 more seasons if they want him.

The cost of a QB is what it is. The Bills are in position to sign him to a long term extension if he earns it. This is the absolute worst case scenario if they believe that he is the franchise guy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mmm-kay. So TT's agent is saying these things because his client is happy? :blink: You have to be pretty thick not to see how this would shake out. Other middling QB's are cashing in yet Taylor is supposed to play for a mil or two?? So he signed a deal...big frickin' whoop. You know what contract mean in the NFL. Even if Tyrod is willing to play his agent is telling him he'd be a chump to do it. And he's right. He would be a chump. He's already proven more than other players who have done far less, and getting paid far far more, as starting QB's.

You can all sit there an cluck your tongues about how Tyrod hasn't proven himself yet. And you can all pat yourselves on the back when he leaves the Bills in 2017.

The Bills can control Tyrod for 3 more seasons without extending him. The Bills hold all the cards.

Knock it off with this tired recycled garbage.

And then you work out a long term deal. Why is that hard to understand? Players want long term security and guaranteed money. If TT gets franchised that means he's worth that and the Bills will figure out a way to sign him. Teams very very rarely let Franchise-type QBs walk. Sure, agents work the media and make it seem like it could happen but it rarely does.

As to your comment about signing him for less money, you do realise he could just say say no to whatever the Bills offer, right? And let's say he does sign for a lower amount and comes out and has an absolute all-star season, do you think he will be happy with that deal then?

None of this is hard to understand. I just think it's smarter to lock him into a contract now rather than later. Based on Rex's comments, it seems like Rex feels that way too but the cap gets into the way.

Who knows? Maybe we're actually dodging a bullet here. Maybe TT stinks it up this year and we all end up glad we haven't signed him to an expensive long term deal.

At the other end of the continuum of possibility, maybe he plays exceptionally well and then we'll be forced to pay him top dollar. No one knows the future but we have to plan for it nonetheless.

As you say, players want long term security and guaranteed money - both of which he could find elsewhere if he continues to play well for the Bills as his agent well knows.

If we believe in TT, we ought to eliminate the possibility of elsewhere. Unfortunately, our poor cap management prevents that.

The Bills can control Tyrod for 3 more seasons without extending him. The Bills hold all the cards.

Knock it off with this tired recycled garbage.

3?

TT is a question mark not only for his play but whether or not he will be one of those always injured guys. It would seem to make sense for both sides to extend him 1 yr for 10M. That sets him up for life (which he does not have now) and he's still young enough to play himself into a franchise QB payday.

In other words, our cap situation is indeed interfering with our ability to do the smart thing.

the purpose of the franchise tag isn't to hold onto someone for just one more year. Though I'm sure teams have used it that way. The intent of that tool is to provide more time to work out an extension of both parties want that to happen. If the team knows they probably won't sign the player at any point they may not bother using it. It just angers the player in that case (I.e Byrd, Suh, Wilkerson) when all they want is to get to FA and go to the highest bidder. Examples all over the place of where the tag is used the right way such as Von Miller, cousins, Cordy Glenn.

TT is a question mark not only for his play but whether or not he will be one of those always injured guys. It would seem to make sense for both sides to extend him 1 yr for 10M. That sets him up for life (which he does not have now) and he's still young enough to play himself into a franchise QB payday.

Right. I don't know exactly how they would work the money with the cap, but for as much as DW and RR voice their belief in TT it would be good to give him a 1 or 2 year deal and a raise for the upcoming season. He's earned it even if he doesn't pan out as franchise.

I'm mostly just stating the obvious, but this is why I am not worried:

Taylor hasn't earned the big pat day yet (he could easily prove it with a successful season)

Taylor would be an idiot to hold out of camp (would look terrible, and if the Bills played their cards and kept him on the sidelines, he'd lose a year of his prime and get very little in F.A.)

If Taylor plays great then it's a good problem to have (he will get paid and that will be that...franchise QB trumps all other cap problems)

The Bills cannot afford to gamble on potential fools gold (we need a franchise QB, and we can't overpay for potential talent)

Solution - trade him. If he's worth what his agent thinks he's worth than a team like Denver, Cleveland, should be willing to give up picks and other players for him. If they won't then I'd say make him earn that extension in 2016. If he plays well to warrant a new contract then franchise tag him and work out a long term deal.

Lots of players play well below the true value. Russell Wilson certainly was grossly underpaid for 3 seasons. Tyrod must prove his worth staying healthy and improving areas in his game that were deficient as Whaley said.

Edited by Dr.Sack