No progress toward TT extension per Carucci; agent unhappy

3?

Technically, yes. He plays this year under his current deal. Next year under the standard Franchise tag and then the following year under the 125% increase over the previous year franchise tag. So, let say next years tag is $22m (probably won't be that his since it is 19.95 this year). But anyway. We would have TT for a Max of $4m this year if he hits all incentives. Then 22m next year. The second year franchise tag would be $27.5 mil. (I doubt the Bills would tag him again). But if they did, the total would be $53.5m for 3 years or $17.85m per year. If he plays well, he'd be worth it. And I see no reason to think that a long term deal wouldn't be worked out at somepoint in those 3 years if all parties are happy.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a lot like the Cousins situation. If TT plays well the Bills will tag him and work on an extension. If they cant reach a long term deal they will tag him again. Any way that you look at it the Bills have TT for 3 more seasons if they want him.

The cost of a QB is what it is. The Bills are in position to sign him to a long term extension if he earns it. This is the absolute worst case scenario if they believe that he is the franchise guy.

they might not even need to tag him - they could do it in season or have a pretty good template early in the offseason to roll with. he may have his long term deal before the tag even comes into play.

the only risk is if it ends up being 18m per or 20m per.

the purpose of the franchise tag isn't to hold onto someone for just one more year. Though I'm sure teams have used it that way. The intent of that tool is to provide more time to work out an extension of both parties want that to happen. If the team knows they probably won't sign the player at any point they may not bother using it. It just angers the player in that case (I.e Byrd, Suh, Wilkerson) when all they want is to get to FA and go to the highest bidder. Examples all over the place of where the tag is used the right way such as Von Miller, cousins, Cordy Glenn.

I'd just rather plan for success and get this done now. And I'm guessing we could sign TT for roughly $18m/yr right now and lock him up for 5 years. If we only had cap space.

I'm hoping he as a great season. If he does, I doubt he'll look for ways to leave Buffalo - but he could. The more likely outcome is that - the way the QB market is going - we'll end up paying him $20m+++/yr instead.

Technically, yes. He plays this year under his current deal. Next year under the standard Franchise tag and then the following year under the 125% increase over the previous year franchise tag. So, let say next years tag is $22m (probably won't be that his since it is 19.95 this year). But anyway. We would have TT for a Max of $4m this year if he hits all incentives. Then 22m next year. The second year franchise tag would be $27.5 mil. (I doubt the Bills would tag him again). But if they did, the total would be $53.5m for 3 years or $17.85m per year. If he plays well, he'd be worth it. And I see no reason to think that a long term deal wouldn't be worked out at somepoint in those 3 years if all parties are happy.

Good explanation. Makes me feel better about this.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'd just rather plan for success and get this done now. And I'm guessing we could sign TT for roughly $18m/yr right now and lock him up for 5 years. If we only had cap space.

I'm hoping he as a great season. If he does, I doubt he'll look for ways to leave Buffalo - but he could. The more likely outcome is that - the way the QB market is going - we'll end up paying him $20m+++/yr instead.

Good explanation.

i don't think the Bills will have any problem paying him 20 mill + if he has a great season.

I understand the nerves over letting this play out, but I agree with the organization on this. There is no way TT has earned 5 years at $18m or anything close to it. Neither has Osweiler, and I think the Texans will ultimately regret it. There are still too many questions about Taylor's game for that kind of long term commitment. Regardless of cap space, the smart play is to wait. He is not going anywhere.

I understand the nerves over letting this play out, but I agree with the organization on this. There is no way TT has earned 5 years at $18m or anything close to it. Neither has Osweiler, and I think the Texans will ultimately regret it. There are still too many questions about Taylor's game for that kind of long term commitment. Regardless of cap space, the smart play is to wait. He is not going anywhere.

TTs agent might also be thinking that striking now, before a possible brock flop, might help them guarantee a little extra

interesting that Bill obrien said today that he had never met Osweiler in person before they signed him.

I still need someone to explain to me why this is risky.

They can tag him after this season, just as other teams have done with QBs that they didn't want to lose.

He can't leave if they don't want him to--and he'd be crazy not to sign the tag deal if they do choose to tag him.

Yeah I don't understand that at all. He can't get away from us. Giving him big guaranteed dollars now would actually be taking on risk, with no potential reward.

But is this the future of the QB market? Unproven guys with glimpses of potential getting high teens? Or even more next year?

IF the QB market keeps getting more and more speculative and expensive, it's better to do deals now.

Edited by hondo in seattle

But is this the future of the QB market? Unproven guys with glimpses of potential getting high teens? Or even more next year?

IF the QB market keeps getting more and more speculative and expensive, it's better to do deals now.

imo it's only better if you know for sure you want to do the deal now. Either way, now or later, it is going to be a huge contract. If you aren't sure, it's less risky to wait and/or utilize the tag to buy time so you aren't stuck with a giant contract and a player that's not the future. Even if it costs a little more down the line. The bills aren't a cash-strapped organization. IMO they can and will pay their QB if they decide he's the one. They are "cap-strapped," but only this season. They look to have 43 mill in cap space next off season, and the cap will go up again on top of that. The deals they must do - Gilmore and Glenn - will take up some of the space and they need to plan for Watkins and his 5th year option/hopeful extension. They should and will IMO pay TT market value if he proves it. Edited by YoloinOhio

Not at this level Hondo.

Quite an interesting dialogue this jack ass agent had fired up.

Whaley has said the contract coming is not insurmountable.

Tyrod is still unproven by a long way in my book.

Bills do not have they money and that is obvious, but they will next year and that is fairly obvious too.

We have been dating ugly women for so long we finally get one that is kinda hot and we freak out ha ha ! /s

let hope Bills have to pay Tyrod next year.

If he is all that , then he will deserve a contract worth noting. Oh gosh I sure hope he does! Take me us to the Promised land Mr Taylor!!

The Osweiler deal and the Bradford deal are metrics for lunacy.

TT agent is a fool

Edited by 3rdand12

interesting that Bill obrien said today that he had never met Osweiler in person before they signed him.[/quote
interesting that Bill obrien said today that he had never met Osweiler in person before they signed him.

Further evidence of their clueless gamble.

It is only better if the QB in question is the right guy. Otherwise you are locked in to a bad deal for a QB who is not good enough. I think the jury is still out on Taylor and I would rather risk having to pay him more rather than pay him for mediocre performance

The Bills need to seriously look at QBs to draft in early rounds; Manuel is obviously trade bait and they need someone who can learn fast in case TT''s demands via agent are unreasonable. Just because 1 team was willing to give a 4 year, $72 Million dollar does not mean that other teams will spend this much especially since for TT I think so many more pieces are necessary.

Tyrod is not worth 15-20 mil a season. Orton led us to a 9-7 record the year before. Tyrod's stats are misleading due to the fact he never was throwing for 300 yard games. First off Flutie was better than Tyrod, led us 2 years in a row to the playoffs. Secondly Tyrod doesn't have 31 teams interested him, his size is too risky and he isn't Russell Wilson. 3rd, he played only one year so far and didn't look the franchise qb part yet. I would let Tyrod be #1 in camp but would let any qb know the job can be won. Agent could find his QB out a job if Bills draft a qb and play him first because it makes more business sense. Stupid thing to say honestly!

The Bills need to seriously look at QBs to draft in early rounds; Manuel is obviously trade bait and they need someone who can learn fast in case TT''s demands via agent are unreasonable. Just because 1 team was willing to give a 4 year, $72 Million dollar does not mean that other teams will spend this much especially since for TT I think so many more pieces are necessary.

Yeah. I think drafting a QB moved up a few rounds after this latest unfortunate incident.

Tyrod is not worth 15-20 mil a season. Orton led us to a 9-7 record the year before. Tyrod's stats are misleading due to the fact he never was throwing for 300 yard games. First off Flutie was better than Tyrod, led us 2 years in a row to the playoffs. Secondly Tyrod doesn't have 31 teams interested him, his size is too risky and he isn't Russell Wilson. 3rd, he played only one year so far and didn't look the franchise qb part yet. I would let Tyrod be #1 in camp but would let any qb know the job can be won. Agent could find his QB out a job if Bills draft a qb and play him first because it makes more business sense. Stupid thing to say honestly!

Funny things happen when you play with a top-3 defense and a top-5 running game.

Tyrod played well. If he improves, there's no reason not to pay him.

I think people are getting a bit loony over this agent's whining.

I think this is an ideal situation. We have an unproven QB coming off a surprisingly good season. We have the convenient excuse of cap issues. We get to let him play another year on a favorable deal, one that he signed months ago, and see what we have. The risk is that he might have a great season and then might become spiteful and then might choose to play with another team?

That doesn't sound like much of a risk compared to being shackled to another guy who isn't the answer for 5 more seasons.

Funny things happen when you play with a top-3 defense and a top-5 running game.

Tyrod played well. If he improves, there's no reason not to pay him.

I think people are getting a bit loony over this agent's whining.

this