Liberal Protests

B-Man

Just now, SectionC3 said:

This is really insightful.  Nicely done.  I came to this board mostly to amuse myself.  And, along the way, I have learned a few things.  You know what the hell you’re talking about.  I might disagree with some of your politics, but I very much enjoy reading your posts and I appreciate what you have written here.  Very, very well done. 

Yeah, I do not believe you and I will be on the exact same page from political perspectives :lol:; however, I think we have some very common ground. I will return the compliment. I have really enjoyed your insight on the issues we have been discussing in this thread. You know what you are talking about as well.

I think there have been some good discussions and honest dialogue. I appreciate that whenever I see it. I wish we saw it more at a national level from people on both sides of the political aisle or on both sides of whatever specific issue is being discussed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Your headline does not pass the smell test....not even close.

That's all he ever does.  Posts random headlines from the least reputable websites out there.   

He may as well sign every post of his with "BNN" for B-Man News Network.  

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I didn't read the article but the title is a stretch.  

The most likely scenario to me is that Chauvin was probably the senior officer and the other three didn't stop him.  That's not an excuse for them but might explain their inaction.

Chauvin himself clearly did the wroooooooooong thing.  He was probably on tilt somehow and initially overreacted but keeping his knee on someone's neck for three minutes after no pulse can't ever be explained to me.  The whole thing is disgusting long before that. 

Your headline does not pass the smell test....not even close.

Perhaps if you had actually read the article you would have seen answers to your concerns.

Thanks.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Then you'll have no problem explaining the major differences between the protests and why any comparisons to the attitudes expressed in the two threads are invalid. 

Perceived racial bias vs loss of actual freedom.

Many people disagree that the system in the United States is inherently racist and rigged against POC. The anomalies in policing statistics can and often do require more context than just,  "Hands up don't shoot." As are so many other things, mistrust of police is taught at home and can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Racism is awful, but can easily be a scapegoat for other issues.

What actual freedoms are being fought for here in the United States? I'm not talking about how certain people feel or how they perceive situations. I mean actual freedoms that are being denied. Do we jail citizens for years for not respecting the anthem? Are U.S. citizens banned from protesting? What freedoms that all citizens have are denied by the government to POC?

Edit: Admittedly, I also assumed looting wasn't as big of an issue because I've seen not much mention of the looting in Hong Kong. That is also what I believed a large difference to be but can't confirm.

Edited by LB3

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Perhaps if you had actually read the article you would have seen answers to your concerns.

Thanks.

It's a crappy premise.  Chauvin didn't commit his horrendous act because because he was somehow conditioned to do it .

16 minutes ago, Capco said:

That's all he ever does.  Posts random headlines from the least reputable websites out there.   

He may as well sign every post of his with "BNN" for B-Man News Network.  

I have not found that to be the case generally  but this particular article has a stupid premise.

And by "least reputable" I assume you mean "non-commie".

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Do you know if the body cameras have sound?

They do. I do not know of any body camera models that do not have audio.

Here is a definition from the BPD's website about their body camera program:

B.    Body-Worn Cameras (BWCs) – Small video cameras, typically attached to an officer’s clothing or helmet that maximizes the camera’s ability to capture video and audio data

https://www.bpdny.org/182/Body-Worn-Cameras-Policy

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It's a crappy premise.  Chauvin didn't commit his horrendous act because because he was somehow conditioned to do it .

I have not found that to be the case generally  but this particular article has a stupid premise.

institutionalized racism has been the mantra of the left, this article tries to show how (maybe) that came to be.

12 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Perceived racial bias vs loss of actual freedom.

Many people disagree that the system in the United States is inherently racist and rigged against POC. The anomalies in policing statistics can and often do require more context than just,  "Hands up don't shoot." As are so many other things, mistrust of police is taught at home and can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Racism is awful, but can easily be a scapegoat for other issues.

What actual freedoms are being fought for here in the United States? I'm not talking about how certain people feel or how they perceive situations. I mean actual freedoms that are being denied. Do we jail citizens for years for not respecting the anthem? Are U.S. citizens banned from protesting? What freedoms that all citizens have are denied by the government to POC?

Edit: Admittedly, I also assumed looting wasn't as big of an issue because I've seen not much mention of the looting in Hong Kong. That is also what I believed a large difference to be but can't confirm.

So the difference in your eyes is one protest is invalid and the other was justified?

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Bill Murray’s son Caleb arrested during Black Lives Matter protest

</snip>

Bill Murray’s son Caleb was arrested and charged on Monday with arson, disorderly conduct and assault and battery on a police officer.

According to a report obtained by Page Six from the Edgartown District Court, the 27-year-old was participating in a Black Lives Matter march on Martha’s Vineyard and allegedly got into an altercation with police officers who were responding to an incident taking place at the protest.

The incident unfolded during a confrontation between protesters and resident Eric Woods, who allegedly used the N-word before punching a teenager in the crowd

</snip>

While being transported to the Dukes County Jail after his arrest, Caleb was allegedly uncooperative. Things reportedly got worse once he was placed in a cell.

“After being put into a cell,” the report alleges, “he then used a piece of the cell to not only cut himself but cut the deputies.”

Another officer claims to have heard Caleb say, “that once he got out of jail he was going to burn down all the f–king buildings.”

</snip>

Martha's Vineyard lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

Rioting is certainly more justified in one case. If protesting were the only issue there would be no issue.

What freedoms are being taken away from United States citizens? Beijing cares nothing for the rights of it's citizens.

Edit: @Jauronimo. Forgot to quote you.

Edited by LB3

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

institutionalized racism has been the mantra of the left, this article tries to show how (maybe) that came to be.

I did read it and found it crappy as I suspected I would.

An individual killed another individual.  It can't yet be shown that race was a reason behind it at all.  If it was, THEN it should be examined if it was institutional.  If THAT is shown, it should be examined if it is the fault of Democrats, Republicans, neither or both.  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I missed the part here where MLK says "yea we haven't gotten what we want let's break everything."

He'd be embarrassed by all this especially considering the immense progress that has been and then subsequently rekkkked by the Obama administration 

MLK on riots

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I missed the part here where MLK says "yea we haven't gotten what we want let's break everything."

He'd be embarrassed by all this especially considering the immense progress that has been and then subsequently rekkkked by the Obama administration 

MLK on riots

We are a nation of individuals and how we treat each other matters.  True progress in race relations can't be made or broken by government or at least it shouldn't be.  It is in how we treat each other.

DAVID BERNSTEIN:

There are plenty of police reforms that could be enacted from a libertarian perspective that would improve matters.

Qualified immunity reform is libertarian. Holding police accountable for misbehavior is libertarian. Reducing the power of police unions is libertarian. Getting rid of overtime and pension abuse is libertarian. Banning no-knock raids is libertarian. Reducing bloated police department bureaucracies is libertarian.

Broader reforms that would reduce the need for police and reduce police/civilian encounters are also libertarian. Getting rid of victimless crimes, especially the drug war, and certain categories of criminal business regulation that should be handled civilly is libertarian. Getting rid of taxes that lead to black markets that in turn lead to police/civilian encounters is libertarian. Abolishing laws that allow local governments to put people in jail for failure to pay civil fines is libertarian. Separating forensic science services from prosecutors’ offices is libertarian. Holding prosecutors accountable for misconduct is libertarian. Finding alternatives to prison for certain categories of offenders is libertarian.

By contrast, “defunding the police,” if that just means willy-nilly cuts, is not libertarian.

If you get rid of the police, they will be replaced by vigilante justice and mob “protection.”

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Rioting is certainly more justified in one case. If protesting were the only issue there would be no issue.

What freedoms are being taken away from United States citizens? Beijing cares nothing for the rights of it's citizens.

Edit: @Jauronimo. Forgot to quote you.

Changes in legislation, like amending extradition articles,  justify protesting and rioting but inequality in the application of existing legislation does not qualify?  The question isn't what freedoms are being taken away from Americans.  The question is are the rights that Americans already have being protected and enforced equally for all Americans?  

And that likely explains the night and day difference in attitudes between the two threads.  Much of PPP doesn't think their fellow citizens protesting perceived injustice have a legit case.  Its not about the violence in the protest, or the looting, or law and order its about the validity of the underlying issue.

I agree that Beijing cares nothing for the rights of their citizens.  A significant portion of the American public believes their lives are less valuable in the eyes of their government. 

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Changes in legislation, like amending extradition articles,  justify protesting and rioting but inequality in the application of existing legislation does not qualify?  The question isn't what freedoms are being taken away from Americans.  The question is are the rights that Americans already have being protected and enforced equally for all Americans?  

And that likely explains the night and day difference in attitudes between the two threads.  Much of PPP doesn't think their fellow citizens protesting perceived injustice have a legit case.  Its not about the violence in the protest, or the looting, or law and order its about the validity of the underlying issue.

I agree that Beijing cares nothing for the rights of their citizens.  A significant portion of the American public believes their lives are less valuable in the eyes of their government. 

The bolded is fair, speaking only for myself. Though I'll quibble that it makes no sense in any situation to destroy your own neighborhood and rob your own neighbors.

This is something i really don't have a problem with at all, it's way better than ruining buildings and still makes an impact.  Plus i'd be a hypocrite if i was against it as I love the shamrock painted on the road in Tipp Hill in syracuse every saint patricks day...or green lines painted along parade routes.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

3 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

This is something i really don't have a problem with at all, it's way better than ruining buildings and still makes an impact.  Plus i'd be a hypocrite if i was against it as I love the shamrock painted on the road in Tipp Hill in syracuse every saint patricks day...or green lines painted along parade routes.

As someone who works with DDOT and the district government daily, I don't love that the design obscures the crosswalk designations, but that's admittedly nitpicky.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Where are you getting the bolded?  These protesters absolutely 100% have a right to protest.  They do NOT have a right to riot, destroy property, nor injure/ kill people.

There was never any doubt that the cops involved in George Floyd's MURDER were going to be brought to justice.  They were fired after the incident; not put on administrative leave w/ or w/ out pay, but actually terminated.  That implies that something serious was coming down the pike; and within a week it did.  The cop that actually put the knee to his neck is now charged with 2nd degree (up from 3rd degree) murder and the others are being charged as accessories.  So, though there may be a perception of unequal justice, it doesn't look that way from here.  If you feel there is unequal justice there, feel free to join the protests.

But those that are rioting and destroying things are screwing the people that live in those communities as it will be a long time, if ever, before those communities have access to the services that will no longer be provided.  They have lowered the quality of life in those communities.

Let's hope they didn't also subject the people still in those communities to another round of COVID-19 infections.  They don't need that on top of everything else.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Where are you getting the bolded?  These protesters absolutely 100% have a right to protest.  They do NOT have a right to riot, destroy property, nor injure/ kill people.

There was never any doubt that the cops involved in George Floyd's MURDER were going to be brought to justice.  They were fired after the incident; not put on administrative leave w/ or w/ out pay, but actually terminated.  That implies that something serious was coming down the pike; and within a week it did.  The cop that actually put the knee to his neck is now charged with 2nd degree (up from 3rd degree) murder and the others are being charged as accessories.  So, though there may be a perception of unequal justice, it doesn't look that way from here.  If you feel there is unequal justice there, feel free to join the protests.

But those that are rioting and destroying things are screwing the people that live in those communities as it will be a long time, if ever, before those communities have access to the services that will no longer be provided.  They have lowered the quality of life in those communities.

Let's hope they didn't also subject the people still in those communities to another round of COVID-19 infections.  They don't need that on top of everything else.

He needs to put words in your mouth because it's the only way to make his arguments hold up.

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Much of PPP doesn't think their fellow citizens protesting perceived injustice have a legit case.  Its not about the violence in the protest, or the looting, or law and order its about the validity of the underlying issue.

I don't agree that most people on PPP don't think their fellow citizens protesting perceived injustice have a legit case. I think there is confusion about legitimacy of feelings and accuracy of perceptions. They are different. Racism is a real thing. That it exists is not debatable. The degree that it exists, the degree to which it is behind behavior in general, and the degree to which it permeates and motivates an entire profession are all debatable.

I believe a vast majority of those peacefully protesting legitimately feel what they feel. However, the accuracy of their perception that an entire profession is so pervasively racist that they have no regard whatsoever for black lives is certainly open for honest debate. 

Of course, we all know it is easier to paint an entire group with the same brush stroke... Not intellectually honest, but easier

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Of course they have the right to protest.  You can protest anything.  Doesn't mean the fine people here believe the protesters have a legit case and many do not.  How many times have I read in this forum "Chauvin was arrested.  What are they even protesting?". 

Yes, there was considerable doubt that these officers would face any repercussions.  

Yes, rioting is bad.  Looting is bad.  I don't think I have seen anyone argue otherwise and if people have, they are wrong.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't agree that most people on PPP don't think their fellow citizens protesting perceived injustice have a legit case. I think there is confusion about legitimacy of feelings and accuracy of perceptions. They are different. Racism is a real thing. That it exists is not debatable. The degree that it exists, the degree to which it is behind behavior in general, and the degree to which it permeates and motivates an entire profession are all debatable.

I believe a vast majority of those peacefully protesting legitimately feel what they feel. However, the accuracy of their perception that an entire profession is so pervasively racist that they have no regard whatsoever for black lives is certainly open for honest debate. 

Of course, we all know it is easier to paint an entire group with the same brush stroke... Not intellectually honest, but easier

You literally just said they feel injustice but they're perceptions are inaccurate, did you not? How is that different than "they have a right to protest but have no case"? 

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He needs to put words in your mouth because it's the only way to make his arguments hold up.

Shouldn't you be scouring the internet for more beat down porn?  Google purple hair liberal gets pwned and tell us what comes up.  

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

While one comment states that they hope he can get the assistance he needs he clearly states that he's a big boy and will endure. It appears to me he's going to be back on his feet regardless if he gets help. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Of course they have the right to protest.  You can protest anything.  Doesn't mean the fine people here believe the protesters have a legit case and many do not.  How many times have I read in this forum "Chauvin was arrested.  What are they even protesting?". 

Yes, there was considerable doubt that these officers would face any repercussions.  

Yes, rioting is bad.  Looting is bad.  I don't think I have seen anyone argue otherwise and if people have, they are wrong.

A protest does not hurt the people you're trying to help.

You are melding a peaceful protest with ginned up rioting and looting. One is not like the other.

• Thank you (+1) 1