Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan is typical of the journeyman pro's we are losing because of the cap problem. We will have some superstars (at least their paychecks will be) and a bunch of cheap guys filling the holes...who are not up to Hogan's competance level. Mark my words.....the talent level on the team is dropping because of the big contracts we are giving to the better players we have. Not going to come out well imho. 6-10 (again)

i don't understand this post - is it sarcasm? The Bills have, for a very long time, overpaid for average talent because they had no stars to pay. Now they have actually started drafting well enough that the talent demands big contracts to keep them. Instead of paying 2.5mil to a guy like hogan they can draft his replacement. Eventually they will want to pay an elite player like Sammy instead of him walking because we have money tied up in 3rd or 4th options. The Pats, for all they've done well, have not drafted well at all at WR. Therefore they have had to bring in FA after FA year after year to give Brady options, most of which haven't worked out. Now they are paying Amendola and Hogan a combined 12 mill of cap space this year.

A team to emulate on their WR personnel decisions is the Bengals, who drafted so well that they had AJ green, marvin jones and Muhammad Sanu on the same team for 4 years. They made the decision to invest in the elite talent, Green, and let the other two walk who they will now replace in the draft or cheaper FAs. I believe the Bills should follow this same pattern with its WRs, now that they have a true #1. They already have cheap FAs they added in the late season/offseason and others still on rookie deals. The draft is full of WRs with more talent and upside than Chris Hogan. He's a nice player, but he's limited to a depth role as we've seen for years.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't understand this post - is it sarcasm? The Bills have, for a very long time, overpaid for average talent because they had no stars to pay. Now they have actually started drafting well enough that the talent demands big contracts to keep them. Instead of paying 2.5mil to a guy like hogan they can draft his replacement. Eventually they will want to pay an elite player like Sammy instead of him walking because we have money tied up in 3rd or 4th options. The Pats, for all they've done well, have not drafted well at all at WR. Therefore they have had to bring in FA after FA year after year to give Brady options, most of which haven't worked out. Now they are paying Amendola and Hogan a combined 12 mill of cap space this year.

A team to emulate on their WR personnel decisions is the Bengals, who drafted so well that they had AJ green, marvin jones and Muhammad Sanu on the same team for 4 years. They made the decision to invest in the elite talent, Green, and let the other two walk who they will now replace in the draft or cheaper FAs. I believe the Bills should follow this same pattern with its WRs, now that they have a true #1.

If the Bills did this, people would revolt

One of the things I liked that Buffalo did in 2014 was the Corey Graham signing. At the time they had Gilmore and McKelvin as the CB starters, but with teams throwing so much, you need 3 starting CBs. And it provided veteran depth at a critical position that typically costs good money. This gave the Bills a lot of flexibility and provided some insurance for injury.

Now, I look all over the field and there's zero to little depth. QB, G, TE, WR, LB, CB, S, DL. Their depth players at those positions aren't really NFL starter or should be expected to fill in for an injured starter.

Lets go over this again because you just dont seem to get it

QB - Who exactly in the NFL has quality "depth" at QB? In most cases you are lucky if you actually have a guy who has started games at QB.....As much as I dont like EJ.....take a look at EJ's stats and compare them to other "backup" qbs in the NFL....you would be suprised

G - We found Craig Urbik on the SCRAP PILE......the steelers had just flat said they dont want him anymore. What makes you think the bills cannot find a similar player when they have done it in the past

TE - This is an area where I agree we need another reserve unless they think O'Leary can fill that backup QB role. As a starter? We are in better shape then we have been in years.

WR - We are a run dom team and our starters are set.....3rd WR is up for grabs....you think they cant find a 3rd WR?

CB - Starters are set....lets not forget might mouse is still under contract.....Mario Butler showed promise

S - Word is that Aaron WIlliams (a very good S when healthy would have played had they made the playoffs...that to me says that he will be back next year.....Graham is the other Safety so starters are set...Rambo was brought in off the SCRAP HEAP....so now your down to the third S....we are really fussing about the 3rd string guys on the team....if we are going to do that then understand that is the same situation for EVERY OTHER NFL TEAM

DL - We actually have plenty of defensive linemen......but will probably get a stud out of this DL rich draft to go along with them

And some people think the Bills will find 3 significant contributors out of the draft. Even last year, 2 of the 3 positions the Bills found "starters" were at easy to replace positions like RB and G. Try finding instant impact OTs, CB, and DL, particularly in rounds 2 and lower.

All I heard last pre-season was how Scott Chandler was going to set the world on fire now that he had a REAL QB. Now people are acting like Chris Hogan is the second coming of Lance Alworth. Gimme a break 23+ pages about Chris F..ing Hogan. Just because its the Cheatriots doesn't mean they are infallable. He could end up being a total dud like Chandler.

Edited by The Thurmanator

All I heard last pre-season was how Scott Chandler was going to set the world on fire now that he had a REAL QB. Now people our acting like Chris Hogan is the second coming of Lance Alworth. Gimme a break 23+ pages about Chris F..ing Hogan. Just because its the Cheatriots doesn't mean they are infallable. He could end up being a total dud like Chandler.

i think he will do well in the role that he will have. But us losing him and them gaining him really won't make a difference in whether we beat them or not of how many games they win. They will continue to be who they are as long as they have Brady. We will be who we are until we can stop him.

So you would have advocated paying Chris Hogan what the Patriots did when we have to pay Glenn, Gilmore and Taylor? What did you want them to do? Yes they have a need at WR. We also have a top 5-10 WR in all of football. Guess how many teams in the NFL have needs at various positions. 32. The Broncos have needs all over the field and they just won the Super Bowl.

LOL...A little sarcasm. Hogan is not a big concern at all. :flirt:

Edit: That being said the D is a little concerning. Losing a 4th-5th WR is far from a concern; we need to draft one anyway....

Edited by Reed83HOF

Thanks for the memories, Chris. See you in New Jersey in a couple of years with the Jest when you complete your journeyman's circuit of the AFC East. If it doesn't work out in the NFL, you can always try out with the Bandits.

That's good. Except 31 other teams didn't see enough out of Hankerson, Salas, Little, Boykin, Dez Lewis, and Walt Powell to want to acquire/keep them.

UDFAs and Street FAs are nothing to depend on going into the season. That's a wing and a prayer/delusional mindset.

This irony in this post. Where was Hogan drafted? How did the Bills acquire him?

Thanks for the memories, Chris. See you in New Jersey in a couple of years with the Jest when you complete your journeyman's circuit of the AFC East. If it doesn't work out in the NFL, you can always try out with the Bandits.

My username is Bandit and I do not endorse this message

We'll see how this turns out, but I'd say it's a pretty long shot that the #3 or #4 WR on a losing team like the Bills will suddenly turn into a star even with Brady ar QB. If all else fails, at least he can play ST so it wouldn't be a total fail like Chandler.

Edited by vincec

The Packers, Steelers, and 49ers said "Hello".

Which of those three franchises have ever put together a run that even approaches what New England has done for the last 15 or so years?

Winning Super Bowls is a combination of skill, luck, and injuries. Consistently making the playoffs in a cap-age is insane.

Consistently missing them is disgusting.

Edited by Kemp