Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

You were among the crowd saying he had no value in the rest of the league a year ago. He would have had FA offers if he was one and he would start (as a top 3 WR) for half of the league.

Keep doubting. He will keep proving you wrong.

This is 100% correct.

no, I didnt say that...? I don't remember saying he had no value in the league. Do you mean trade value? I may have said that, not sure. But I don't think so.

But it sounds like you didn't read my post about him. I didn't doubt him. I said he's a nice depth WR and in a great system for him. How would he be proving me wrong if he did well?

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, I didnt say that...? I don't remember saying he had no value in the league. Do you mean trade value? I may have said that, not sure. But I don't think so.

But it sounds like you didn't read my post about him. I didn't doubt him. I said he's a nice depth WR and in a great system for him. How would he be proving me wrong if he did well?

Because what you and the other Hogan hater crew do is you give a bit more ground each year. Next year you will be saying "he is a solid starter but a system receiver". That is more than you will give him now but you will still claim to have been right about him.

Because what you and the other Hogan hater crew do is you give a bit more ground each year. Next year you will be saying "he is a solid starter but a system receiver". That is more than you will give him now but you will still claim to have been right about him.

im sorry - I've already said I don't "hate" him. I never have. And I never claim being "right" about anything so I don't think I will start now. It's my opinion that he was a nice depth option at WR with the Bills. I would like to upgrade, yes. I think he will do well in NE. I don't think a lot of teams see him as a starter. I think he is a great fit for their offense. I don't see how that translates to hate. Edited by YoloinOhio

He'll get scraps just like Brandon LaFell did. The primary targets will be Gronk, Edelman, Dion Lewis, and Amendola. At 28 years old, he's not going to be much more than what he already is as a decent NFL player.

If he was a FA he would have had lots of offers from teams where he was going to start (I count the 3rd receiver as a starter in this era).

As FC has pointed out - Williams, Goodwin, Harvin these guys were all supposed to out perform that dime a dozen Chris Hogan... yet whilst they didn't show up Hogan made plays.

I think that the Bills need to have a 1A receiver opposite Watkins and two of the reserves need to be long speed guys that can take the top off if one of the 1's are hurt.

I think Tyrod can put up monster numbers but he is not a prototypical franchise QB.......I want receivers that can regularly win the routes that Tyrod throws best.....but it's important to have plenty of heavy personnel on the field to make the defense defend the offense......either attack the LOS or back way off.........instead of defending Tyrod the QB who makes half field reads and doesn't throw receivers open with anticipation.

Hogan is in no man's land in that scenario.

He is a #3......when the Bills go 3 wide the D will counter with more coverage of course and that makes Tyrod's reads more difficult, IMO.

That congestion of the receiving lanes for Tyrod is akin to the congestion that Rex blitzing D causes for one gap pass rushers.......while it may strengthen a surgical passers game........it actually weakens his game.

If Hogan is asked to replace the #1 or #1A he may sneak behind the D now and then as he did this year, but I think he further weakens Tyrod's game.

We saw this in the stats Kirby produced.

I do think Hogan is a solid player and he has near pro bowl athletic traits but he actually is just a possession receiver with *possible* upside.

Big Ben is a HOF and a much better QB than Tyrod but I think the Bills receiving model should be just like the Steelers............4-5 deep with burners.

Edited by #BADOL

He's going to fit well with NE and it's pretty low risk for them. He's a great athlete and a hard worker and he can play ST. He's a good blocker and they are hoping that he can take the next step as a WR with Brady throwing to him, but even if he doesn't then they will still get something out of him and they can cut him after this season.

From Hogan's perspective, if he ever wants to establish himself as a WR instead of just an athlete, then there is not better opportunity than this.

Edited by vincec

Perhaps they can get Wallace on the cheap.

I greatly respect Simon's take on players and he knows more than me about Wallace and really doesn't like him.........but that is the type of receiving talent that they need.

Someone who is going to be able to back corners off the LOS and drive them deep and then be able to come back wide open for short/intermediate sideline throws that at the very least lead to short 3rd down opportunities.

Tyrod is very risk averse.........but unlike most QB's who are like that he has a great deep ball.........so deep speed is critical to maximizing his game.

I think that the Bills need to have a 1A receiver opposite Watkins and two of the reserves need to be long speed guys that can take the top off if one of the 1's are hurt.

I think Tyrod can put up monster numbers but he is not a prototypical franchise QB.......I want receivers that can regularly win the routes that Tyrod throws best.....but it's important to have plenty of heavy personnel on the field to make the defense defend the offense......either attack the LOS or back way off.........instead of defending Tyrod the QB who makes half field reads and doesn't throw receivers open with anticipation.

Hogan is in no man's land in that scenario.

He is a #3......when the Bills go 3 wide the D will counter with more coverage of course and that makes Tyrod's reads more difficult, IMO.

That congestion of the receiving lanes for Tyrod is akin to the congestion that Rex blitzing D causes for one gap pass rushers.......while it may strengthen a surgical passers game........it actually weakens his game.

If Hogan is asked to replace the #1 or #1A he may sneak behind the D now and then as he did this year, but I think he further weakens Tyrod's game.

We saw this in the stats Kirby produced.

I do think Hogan is a solid player and he has near pro bowl athletic traits but he actually is just a possession receiver with *possible* upside.

Big Ben is a HOF and a much better QB than Tyrod but I think the Bills receiving model should be just like the Steelers............4-5 deep with burners.

And I don't disagree nor have I ever argued that the Bills should match the Pats offer. I called Hogan a luxury we couldn't afford before they tendered the offer.

Well....I think Goodwin could play this part as well, but unfortunately he seems more interested in the Olympics than playing football....And he can't stay healthy.

I think that specific offensive fit is entirely why Rex/Roman have put up with him.

He is fast but he is also an explosive, quick, stop and start athlete.

I hope he face plants in his olympic bid and starts getting serious about being a football player so we can see if he can get in football shape for once and contribute.

Well, they didn't match. I never liked Hogan and I like him even less now.

That's my Man Kirby !

He is now the enemy. Probably already waterboarded, broken down , confessed and then brainwashed by the insidious evil that resides in NE !

And on this one occassion I admit to being guilty of that. I have taken sooooo much stick on this forum for saying I thought Hogan was good and that the rest of the league would value him that I am revelling in the moment.

I am all about letting you bask in the sunshine.

just this once though

: )

26 pages on Chris Hogan. Only Bills fans are capable of this...

We do what we can !

I greatly respect Simon's take on players and he knows more than me about Wallace and really doesn't like him.........but that is the type of receiving talent that they need.

Someone who is going to be able to back corners off the LOS and drive them deep and then be able to come back wide open for short/intermediate sideline throws that at the very least lead to short 3rd down opportunities.

Tyrod is very risk averse.........but unlike most QB's who are like that he has a great deep ball.........so deep speed is critical to maximizing his game.

If the Bills can protect him, i agree 100%. good posting BADOL.

Also as mentioned Hogan is a better fit in Brady's offense with the quick intermediate hits

Edited by 3rdand12

I am thankful for my opportunity in Buffalo. My memories there were great. Rex Ryan was good to me, though his defense was out of control and too complicated with all of the wrong scheme. I look forward to what happens next!

-Chris Hogan

Read more at: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/03/11/patriots-chris-hogan/gvd10bqNBkQhduKA7x9x7N/story.html

I am thankful for my opportunity in Buffalo. My memories there were great. Rex Ryan was good to me, though his defense was out of control and too complicated with all of the wrong scheme. I look forward to what happens next!

-Chris Hogan

Read more at: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/03/11/patriots-chris-hogan/gvd10bqNBkQhduKA7x9x7N/story.html

U got me lol

-Chris Hogan

Dang even the offensive guys busting on Rex's D

He did better than I thought he would. The point still stands that bottom of the depth chart guys are replaceable. I would never sacrifice upside for interchangeable parts. Hogan has proven to be an NFL WR and is now in the best system in the world. Let's see how it plays out.

We cut another guy a few years back that just caught 75 balls for 944 yards this year (Kamar Aiken). There was no one dying to keep him the way people were screaming for Hogan.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

What is Deonte Thompson doing these days? Still with the Bears? I honestly think if he hadn't been hurt at the end of TC that he would have gotten Hogan's roster spot*

*disclaimer - this does not mean I *hate* Chris hogan. It means he didn't have a good camp in 2015 and was on the proverbial bubble to make the team.

Edited by YoloinOhio