Does anyone feel like the roster can be better this year?

Virgil

I think it's safe to say that we can't make a splash in FA; maybe some low-mid tier guys. We can assume that our rookies and QB will show improvement in their second year as starters. But, unless we slam dunk the draft with 3 impact starters (RT, LB, LB), I feel like we can only take a step back in overall roster strength.

We had to pay our own guys and I agree with the moves so far. But we have all the weaknesses of last year and more holes to fill. Even with the money we have available next year, we will have to pay Glenn again, Tyrod could be 20+, Gilmore is going to get paid.

I'm not saying this to be pessimistic and I don't even know what I would suggest that we could have done better. I'm just not seeing the optimism that some are about next year.

And I didn't even mention Rex! Where's my cookie?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's not a stretch to be better, think you're underestimating the improvement rookies can have in their 2nd year. We also had ton of injuries, Murphy's Law says that has to improve. The injuries did give backup more playing time so again that could help. I can't think of a season in recent memory where we lost as few impact players from the prior year in FA. We've lost Williams who did close to nothing, Bradem, and probably Rambo. That's not too hard to replace even with weak replacements.

I think the biggest mistake Rex made as a coach last year was tweaking the defense, but not completely changing it to his own D. He tried to play both sides of the fence, just put one toe in the water as they say. Seems fro mwhat I've read, this coming year he's playing his defense and has Rob there to assist and also Rob can help i nthat he's the one guy who wouldn't be afraid to stand up to Rex or tell him no!

So I don't think it would take much to see improvment

I think it's safe to say that we can't make a splash in FA; maybe some low-mid tier guys. We can assume that our rookies and QB will show improvement in their second year as starters. But, unless we slam dunk the draft with 3 impact starters (RT, LB, LB), I feel like we can only take a step back in overall roster strength.

We had to pay our own guys and I agree with the moves so far. But we have all the weaknesses of last year and more holes to fill. Even with the money we have available next year, we will have to pay Glenn again, Tyrod could be 20+, Gilmore is going to get paid.

I'm not saying this to be pessimistic and I don't even know what I would suggest that we could have done better. I'm just not seeing the optimism that some are about next year.

Nope. Just skip the 2016 season and FireRex.

I think it's not a stretch to be better, think you're underestimating the improvement rookies can have in their 2nd year. We also had ton of injuries, Murphy's Law says that has to improve. The injuries did give backup more playing time so again that could help. I can't think of a season in recent memory where we lost as few impact players from the prior year in FA. We've lost Williams who did close to nothing, Bradem, and probably Rambo. That's not too hard to replace even with weak replacements.

I think the biggest mistake Rex made as a coach last year was tweaking the defense, but not completely changing it to his own D. He tried to play both sides of the fence, just put one toe in the water as they say. Seems fro mwhat I've read, this coming year he's playing his defense and has Rob there to assist and also Rob can help i nthat he's the one guy who wouldn't be afraid to stand up to Rex or tell him no!

fully pregnant

so far.....not better

LOST : mario, mckelvin,........Charles, powell, Rambo, bradham, percy, booby

TREADING WATER: cordy, ritchie

GAINED : (crickets)

but see. Mario amdbmckelvin were part of the problem! Losing them is improving us!!!!

Yeah, on paper we're not close to being better. But they don't play games on paper and there is a long time left in the offseason.

Of course at this time last year, I didn't see any possible way why our defense wouldnt be dominant again with Rex running it. Whoops!

that's why they need to trade down this year for more 2 and 3 round picks...

Rob Ryan's role I think will be communication; Rex nerds to concentrate on overall game and communication to defense was big issue.

Nope. Just skip the 2016 season and post next year..

corrected.

so far.....not better

LOST : mario, mckelvin, bradham, brooks........Charles, powell, Rambo, percy, booby,

TREADING WATER: cordy, ritchie

GAINED : (crickets)

Well we got Cordie and Ritchie back. We just need to sign a few LBs that fit the scheme then all is good.

As long as they don't misuse Dareus. He should not be tieing up O-linemen or going back in coverage.

since most of the losses are D, and since the D was meh around 20th... It's not like they can be ALL that much worse... Especially with Ryan's's coaching existence relying on it.

I think we'll be better. I know we could be better. Our problem last year wasn't talent. I don't want to speculate on what contributed to it, but we could have been a lot better with the talent we had going into the year. We didn't loose anyone who was all that helpful to us last year.

We still have the draft.

Been beating that same drum myself. Due to the (over)spending on some players last offseason there is only so much that can be done. They got Incognito at a good rate so no complaints there. They pretty much had to tag Glenn so, again, no problem with that. But those two are just treading water and it'll be almost impossible to replace all of the talent lost this offseason (regardless of the misuse of that talent or that talent's lack of effort). The Bills are going to have to rely on drafting very, very well to improve. Edited by BarleyNY