In your opinion, what decade was NFL football at its best?

dpberr

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grew up watching the 70s forward. Feel the 80s was the best to watch as it was still all about the team aspect. Feel like the product started to go sideways when the complete unrestricted free agency came about. The bond between the players and the fans started to disintegrate and never bounced back like it was. Don't blame the players for wanting and deserving their money but feel like it became too much business and not enough passion and all for one. Owners are very much too blame for this as well with complete money grub at every turn.

The turn of the century was the pinnacle of football. Nineteen aught six saw the introduction of the forward pass, the return of the Harvard v Yale series after a 12 year hiatus following the 'Bloodbath of Hampden Park' ( a match noted for ungentlemanly conduct, in which all participants behaved no better than the most boorish Princeton grad. Even the chimney sweeps were rumored to have blushed that day), and such colorful figures as Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson, William "Pudge" Humperdinger, Ted "Yeasty Bottom" Smuttercup, and the indomitable Leslie "Sprinkle breasts" McBeef. The 1900s was certainly the golden age of American football.

This is some funny schit right here.

Was that also the era when folks wore onions on their belts because that was the custom of the day?

GO BILLS!!!

i can't really say. but definitely anything other than the last 3-6 years. there were some good moments this year, and at times watching teams like the Saints, Panthers and Rams put up tons of points are great but when they finally face a defense usually they don't fair so well and everyone considers it boring.

the current nfl is too far geared toward the offense and a good defense can beat a great offense. and an average defense can beat a great offense once again. never can an average offense beat an good defense.

I can't be in the minority of people on this site that remembers the 1980's.

You are in the minority. It's hard to take, I know.

I suggest the minority of this board doesn't know the 80's.

My football appreciation was born of 1980's Van Miller radio broadcasts. I remember them like it was yesterday,

Guys you're killing me making me feel old with this minority stuff before the 90's. I'm 48, but have been avidly watching the NFL since I was really little with one of my earlier memories of OJ's 2003 yard season.

The old timers I am jealous seeing Kemp, Cookie, Bemiller and the crew. I'm a little biased as I loved the old stories occasionally we could get out of Bemiller as he was my wrestling coach. Nice guy.

Guys you're killing me making me feel old with this minority stuff before the 90's. I'm 48, but have been avidly watching the NFL since I was really little with one of my earlier memories of OJ's 2003 yard season.

The old timers I am jealous seeing Kemp, Cookie, Bemiller and the crew. I'm a little biased as I loved the old stories occasionally we could get out of Bemiller as he was my wrestling coach. Nice guy.

Did Bemiller ever talk to you about the negative side of those old days, specifically Dan McGrew? He was the center on those teams and became known as "dangerous Dan McGrew" because he snapped the ball over the punter's head with some frequency. Totally memorable despite the depression. By the way, the great Tom Sestak, who in college was barred from practicing with his team because he often injured teammates, was a regular at the bar at Kohl's on Friday nights.

Did Bemiller ever talk to you about the negative side of those old days, specifically Dan McGrew? He was the center on those teams and became known as "dangerous Dan McGrew" because he snapped the ball over the punter's head with some frequency. Totally memorable despite the depression. By the way, the great Tom Sestak, who in college was barred from practicing with his team because he often injured teammates, was a regular at the bar at Kohl's on Friday nights.

i came to know tom sestak much later when he worked for erie county.. he was one great man.. soft spoken.. died much too young. and i am pretty sure you meant Coles.

Edited by dwight in philly

Most of us weren't around for anything prior to the 90's and we have been terrible since. So 90's wins!

How absolutely little you know, whippersnapper!

70's were the best, but I personally loved the AFL/60's. The brand of the game was entirely different from the NFL -which featured fantastic teams and players in their own write. Namath, Lamonica, Dawson, Hadl -then Starr, Unitas, Brody, Gabrielle, Tarkenton from the Senior League- thrilled every Sunday. The 70's featured the joining of the 2 monsters and excellence ruled the decade.

The advent of FA just won't ever allow the game to measure up against that era.

How absolutely little you know, whippersnapper!

70's were the best, but I personally loved the AFL/60's. The brand of the game was entirely different from the NFL -which featured fantastic teams and players in their own write. Namath, Lamonica, Dawson, Hadl -then Starr, Unitas, Brody, Gabrielle, Tarkenton from the Senior League- thrilled every Sunday. The 70's featured the joining of the 2 monsters and excellence ruled the decade.

The advent of FA just won't ever allow the game to measure up against that era.

You tell 'em and then burp 'em. Still has baby milk on his breath! :lol:

Nope bought our first computer Radio shack TRS-80. In the early 80's. What a workhorse.

I'll take my HP reverse Polish notation calculator over the respectable TRS-80. RPN is the way to go. Likes me some Poles girls as well..

Edit: I likes me some Poles ladies... I'm getting older

Edited by boater

It's the first 10 years when you get sucked into the vortex.

I've watched it evolve for my 2 boys over the past 10+ years. I remember being horrified when my youngest said he liked the Cowboys one year for no apparent reason. Chalked it up to the unis and/or Cowboys/Indians thing and fortunately it passed. Now I see its about the star power. Hasn't changed since I grew up on Long Island when the Jets and Giants had no star power and long story short: OJ and the fact that the Bills played in NY state made me a Bills fan...and so far my boys are all in too,

With that said, 70's were the best but the most enjoyable was 88-96 when the Bills were great. Can't wait to enjoy the Super Bowl victory with my boys...it will happen!

Edited by SinceThe70s