We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

I knew how close we were to the new cap, but the worst? While I know why, I can't understand how the Pegula's are going to be okay with this for long.

Yes, we just extended Whaley, but 9-7, 8-8, no signs of improvement and spending more than everyone else? I mean, logic would dictate there's a huge problem here, right?

Sure, refer to all the other threads where we cut Mario, but that's just to re-sign other impending FA's.

Either way, we are gonna be up there and I have to imagine that the leash is going to be short, contracts for Rex and Whaley or not.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew how close we were to the new cap, but the worst? While I know why, I can't understand how the Pegula's are going to be okay with this for long.

Yes, we just extended Whaley, but 9-7, 8-8, no signs of improvement and spending more than everyone else? I mean, logic would dictate there's a huge problem here, right?

Sure, refer to all the other threads where we cut Mario, but that's just to re-sign other impending FA's.

Either way, we are gonna be up there and I have to imagine that the leash is going to be short, contracts for Rex and Whaley or not.

What's so egregious about this is the Bills do not even have a franchise QB under contract and they are still in this situation. I think it was Taylor's escalators that bumped him up a few mill that dragged them down into the worst cap shape in the NFL for the 2016 season.

We have the least space but we have the most players under contract too. I'd rather be in our position than about 5 or 6 others in the league. We need to make some tough decisions this off-season but they are all within the realm of normal cap management. The Clay contract is a bit of a sickener though.

You make a good point on signed contracts. For example, the Broncos have $8 mil left in space, but they have to pay a few guys, and most importantly, the $100 mil contract for Von Miller. They'll save some on letting Manning go, but Osweiler will cost at least $10 mil a year.

So we are in a tough cap spot, but we can dump quite a bit of money with jettising a few people. Bottom line is every time you see a thread stating why not get this free agent, remember we have no money. We will use our space to resign the needed guys, and the rest comes in the draft.

We'll be fine.

We are not that bad. Cut Mario and re-sign Glenn and Incognito, pay cuts for Leo and Lawson and sign Sanu or Barron.

Whaley has done a really good job IMO. The talent on this roster isn't a issue. The Bills are one of the most talented teams in the league. The coaching last year was a HUGE problem. If that defense played anywhere near where we thought that they would, the Bills were Super Bowl contenders.

You make a good point on signed contracts. For example, the Broncos have $8 mil left in space, but they have to pay a few guys, and most importantly, the $100 mil contract for Von Miller. They'll save some on letting Manning go, but Osweiler will cost at least $10 mil a year.

So we are in a tough cap spot, but we can dump quite a bit of money with jettising a few people. Bottom line is every time you see a thread stating why not get this free agent, remember we have no money. We will use our space to resign the needed guys, and the rest comes in the draft.

We'll be fine.

Cutting Manning leaves $27 million and change under the cap. They are in WAY better shape than the Bills this year even when you factor the Osweiler contract.

We have the least space but we have the most players under contract too. I'd rather be in our position than about 5 or 6 others in the league. We need to make some tough decisions this off-season but they are all within the realm of normal cap management. The Clay contract is a bit of a sickener though.

...and when you start cutting players to get under the cap and also to create cap space to sign guys like Glenn and Incognito that will not be the case anymore.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I knew how close we were to the new cap, but the worst?

Is there someone saying we have the worst? We do have the least cap space on paper, but the "devil" is in the details of how we handle it. $10M of that is Clay's roster bonus this season, which we may or may not ask him to restructure. (We may not, because keeping it there gives us a big chunk of free money next season to sign Gilmore and Taylor)

I would personally tab the NO Saints for "worst cap situation". They are carrying $22M in dead money and they don't have a D

Here are my six moves freeing up 20,650,000

Putting cap space at 12,684,214

Release Mario Williams. Saving 12,900,000

Restructure Kyle Williams. Saving 2,507,500

Restructure Aaron Williams. Saving 1,210,000

Restructure Corey Graham. Saving 1,210,000

Release Dan Carpender. Saving 1,762,000

Release Boobie

I could see them letting go Corey Graham Rex put him on blast for missing a tackle during the season.