McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that you're being completely non-responsive to the points made in my previous post, yes? The point is, you claimed arrest warrants were issued, and that the quick issuance of arrest warrants indicates that the evidence is clear-cut. In fact, arrest warrants have not been issued, it has merely been reported by news that "according to police sources" they are "imminent", whatever that means.

It has also been reported that the evidence is in the hands of the DA being reviewed, and the DA will decide whether/which charges to file. I do feel ordinary citizens such as myself should understand how the legal process works. The police do not need a warrant to make an arrest - all they need is probable cause - but if an arrest warrant is utilized, a crime must be specified and the warrant has to be issued by a judge in court. If the DA is reviewing the case to decide whether and/or which charges to file (which is what has also been reported in the news), the police can't actually have "drawn up a warrant" because they don't yet know what crime to put on it, or if they did fill out a form requesting issuance of a warrant as part of what was submitted to the DA, it's two steps removed from being an actual warrant.

But again - the point is - you can't use the argument that the rapid issuance of arrest warrants indicates that the case is clear cut if in fact, arrest warrants have not yet been issued.

In this case the paperwork for warrants for an arrest are filed by the police and then go to the district attorney for review. The district attorney's office then makes the determination whether to officially issue the arrest warrant. In this case the paperwork by the police for an arrest warrant was quickly done. That suggests something to me but maybe not to you.

The police do know what to charge but that doesn't mean that the district attorney will go by the initial charge/s in the warrant petition. They can raise the charge or lower the charge or dismiss the charge as they deem appropriate.

In this case the police do need a warrant to make an arrest because it was a case that needed to be investigated. A misdemeanor offense committed in front of a police officer doesn't require a warrant. But even in that type of arrest the case needs to be papered, which means that the officer takes the paperwork to a prosecuting attorney who will then review the case and determine whether to proceed or not.

The legal analysis is amusing in this thread. Any of you do brain and heart surgery on the side?

Excuse me sir, but I have a correspondence GED in law from Hollywood Upstairs Law School & Taxidermy Academy. I specialize in defending public crunkeness charges. So I'm kind of an expert here

The funny thing is, I know of at least one attorney among our denizens here. Up to them if they want to raise their hand or not. I'm curious if we have anyone in law enforcement that can weigh in.

Edited by jimmy10

The legal analysis is amusing in this thread. Any of you do brain and heart surgery on the side?

actually a lot of it is good. Anonymity allows role who might not speak to an issue to chime in. I bet it happens a lot on football matters. Could be happening here too. I see some pretty good thoughts on this thread.

The biggest shame is that this was over champagne. Drink a man's drink. That is the lesson learned here.

I don't know, champagne is traditionally opened with a sword after military conquests. That's pretty badass. I don't see manly men opening their Utica Club with anything other than a hamfist beset with diabetic nerve pain.

The Buffalo News article regarding McCoy is 100% spot on.

Well.. yes, in the respect that maybe it's time to cut ways.

But, I didn't like the sanctimonious meme where the Bills were criticized for trading to get Shady.

As my father taught me: hindsight is always 20/20. A sportswriter playing the hindsight game gets my down vote.

I have been taking a let's see and wait approach before commenting or forming an opinion (other than Oh $hit, he's a good player); all in all this is obviously a bad situation. Shady, like other players hang around the wrong crew and allow themselves to be put in bad situations in which they will more likely than not; make a poor decision. He obviously did.

I don't think that anyone is naive enough to think that we should just field a team of saints (not the tem B-)) and people of only the highest character. We have tried that in the past (Marv era) and honestly; the great version of those players are very few and far between. You can't claim that Marv as a coach had all saints and great character people - let's face we would have ran Thurman, Bruce and Kelly out of town.

The Bills have to decide that can Shady change his pattern of behavior and make a decision based off of that. The females only and non-disclosure party was presumably shut down; it still might have happened for all we know. But that was okay we need to sit him down and talk to him; explain that it is bad publicity and such and set the expectation that this can't occur in the future. Now there is this incident. How do you proceed; was this the final wake up call for him? or do you feel like you need to baby sit him even more now. A reasonable approach is that them team sits down with him and asks what changes he is going to make to prevent this from happening again - IE - dump his crew. If he can't act like an adult and describe the steps he will take to prevent it from happening again, you move on. He has to have some accountability for his actions and be responsible enough to learn and make changes. Honestly I don't see him being mature enough to make adult decisions like that. His life appears to be all about the party.

Expect him to be gone a while for this. Whether or not you like cops or want to make the claim they are no different than accountants who are off duty are missing the point; they are different just like NFL players other athletes and movie stars are different. The expectations are greater, their room for error is much smaller and their life is very public; for that alone they make bank.

I'm not sure this is a cut-able offense yet, but once their is a conversation with Shady, the team will know what to do (at least they should)....

In this case the paperwork for warrants for an arrest are filed by the police ...............blahblahblah

The point is, you stated that the quick issuance of warrants for arrest meant that the case was cut-and-dried, or words to that effect.

Once again, you are unable to acknowledge the point... no warrants for arrest have been issued as of yet, so conclusions about the cut-and-dried nature of the case based on the premise that "warrants for arrest were issued so quickly" are.....unwarranted

The point is, you stated that the quick issuance of warrants for arrest meant that the case was cut-and-dried, or words to that effect.

Once again, you are unable to acknowledge the point... no warrants for arrest have been issued as of yet, so conclusions about the cut-and-dried nature of the case based on the premise that "warrants for arrest were issued so quickly" are.....unwarranted

We'll see.

Now that's a big shock <===== sarcasm

We've already seen. The case may or may not be cut and dried, but warrants are still not issued. Ergo conclusions based upon quickness of warrant issuance (which has not yet occurred) not valid.

Why is this so difficult for you to acknowledge?

I respectfully request you explain the sarcasm.

Is it:

1. You believe the off duty officers have some special unwritten ticket to do what they want...

or

2. That the off-duty officers won't face charges, because they were on their backs on the floor getting their ass kicked resulting in fractured skulls

Sarcasm.. it's hard to read.

He was good in some games and average in others.

Who would trade anything significant for this guy given his age, contract and now this?

The amount of money we are paying him is absurd.

He's only 27 and he's one of the best RBs in the game. And we didn't trade anything significant. We traded Kiko Alonso.