Is it wise to grossly underpay your starting QB?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Like every other FA, Taylor will weigh his options; money, location, familiarity, coaching staff, etc. and make a determination which offer to accept. There is no reason to think the Bills can't or won't sign him after the season.

exactly. he plays well, he will make a ton, and in Buffalo. The Bills will not let a franchise caliber QB walk. Not after the past 15 years. On the other hand, making a fitz-type mistake by signing him to more $$ now and watching him stutter (not saying it will), would put the franchise back. No downside, he won't have his "feelings" hurt. He is smart enough to know why the Bills won't give him a huge contract now.

I actually have no problem with Whaley not paying TT just yet.

and

You notice that TT has not said a WORD about his contract. It is my own personal belief that the bills have a handshake agreement that they have guys like Glenn and Cog that need to be taken care of this offseason (the guys that protect TT's butt) and that TT is gonna get taken care of.

I don't know about that. I'm sure Tyrod thinks he should earn more. And he'll get that opportunity to prove it next season. And I'm sure the FO is hoping he proves it, just like we are. And we're all hoping he lives up to it.

Actually pretty funny that TTT is still taking this stance

Still taking the stance that we don't need to be in any rush to pay Tyrod Taylor like a franchise quarterback because a) he's under contract next season, and the Bills reserve the right to tag him in future seasons, and b) because he has yet to demonstrate that he deserves to be paid that way?

Still taking the stance that we don't need to be in any rush to pay Tyrod Taylor like a franchise quarterback because a) he's under contract next season, and the Bills reserve the right to tag him in future seasons, and b) because he has yet to demonstrate that he deserves to be paid that way?

No....I agree with this part

Just your over drama of TT is funny

Considering you and your fellow troll's track record at predicting the value of players, I wouldn't be so bold. TT in free agency would be a big deal. Starting QBs simply do not enter free agency. But you and your fellow trolls are entitled to your opinions as I am to mine.

I'm all for TT (orders of magnitude better than Whaleybust EJ Manuel), but on almost all of the teams you listed him possibly going to, he would not be the starter next season, so why are you saying he would command top FA QB money.

Your argument makes no sense.

...in his contract year?

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22414460.php?contentType=4&contentId=18361835

So Taylor will make $2M when his value is $19MM. I think Whaley is risking a lot. If TT feels he's been disrespected by the Bills and he makes it to free agency, I think you can kiss him goodbye. Especially when he will be the most sought after free agent in decades.

I'm not worried because my count the Bills still have lot's of goodwill in the NFLPA for overpaying try hards like Kris Kelsay,.....trading players that wanted to leave.....not using franchise tags on free agents that wanted to leave...........................wait................is it possible that no goodwill was actually gained from being a p*ssyass organization that let's players walk all over them?

The Bills are right they gave him a deal and a chance to start. He has not proven himself completely. The Bills will have to step up if TT's play next season warrants a big contract.

I think that this is the most accurate thought. If he plays at the level that he did this year he will be getting $19M. If he plays worse he will be getting less and if he plays better he will be getting more. QBs don't hit the FA market very often. The Bills certainly aren't going to let him walk unless he convinces them this year that he isn't the answer.

I think that this is the most accurate thought. If he plays at the level that he did this year he will be getting $19M. If he plays worse he will be getting less and if he plays better he will be getting more. QBs don't hit the FA market very often. The Bills certainly aren't going to let him walk unless he convinces them this year that he isn't the answer.

He played at a high level, but do you really think he was a "closer". In my mind, that's what we need to start seeing from him. I also wouldn't mind seeing more intermediate passing routes and getting rid of the ball quicker. Too many sacks from indecisiveness.

He played at a high level, but do you really think he was a "closer". In my mind, that's what we need to start seeing from him. I also wouldn't mind seeing more intermediate passing routes and getting rid of the ball quicker. Too many sacks from indecisiveness.

The answer is I don't know. High level = good, not a closer = bad. He needs to continue at a high level and improve at closing games out. I think that a large part of it was not playing fast enough in the 2:00 minute drill. I don't know if that was by design or if he struggles with it. We will find out.

The reality is teams pay QBs. There are countless examples of it. They don't leave in FA. If Tyrod plays at this level he will be getting a deal in that $19M range. That's the market. If you are to ask me who is a better player JJ Watt or Tyrod Taylor, the answer is Watt. Other positions will never be paid what starting QBs are.

I believe the Bills are handling the situation correctly in doing the "show us" move. What I mean by that is we have an entire off-season, OTA's, mini-camp and training camp for TT to be at the helm, build more synergy with our playmakers and build further trust with Roman to open up the playbook a bit deeper. There's ample time before September to make a determination as to how his contract should be handled. If I'm TT, I wear this challenge with a badge of honor and work my a** off to show the Buffalo Bills that indeed they have their man under center for the first time in two decades.

My prediction is that he's signed to a middle level + contract before the first regular season game - based on his performance this off-season. Whaley's talk of being open to drafting a QB is more about finding an alternate to EJ as opposed to TT, in my opinion.

Edited by IndyBillsBacker

I'm fine with waiting for a longer look before locking him up. I'm sure it was part of the deal all along and if anything will help to motivate him for next season.

Even though we have a QB playing in the Pro Bowl, it doesn't seem to feel like we have a Pro Bowl QB.

That being said I really hope Taylor exceeds expectations next year and we do in fact lock him up.

exactly. he plays well, he will make a ton, and in Buffalo. The Bills will not let a franchise caliber QB walk. Not after the past 15 years. On the other hand, making a fitz-type mistake by signing him to more $$ now and watching him stutter (not saying it will), would put the franchise back. No downside, he won't have his "feelings" hurt. He is smart enough to know why the Bills won't give him a huge contract now.

Ryan- good take. The other thing is i like TT, but whether it was Roman, or Ryan he is not throwing over the middle, so in turn has not proven he can make all of the throws and decisively. He did a ton well, and threw accurately deep to the outside which are some of the harder throws. The other side is he was not throwing in 2 seconds over the middle so we keep moving the chains like so many QB's did to us this year. Not just Brady, but Eli and so on.

I'm not saying he can't do it, but that I want to see it and we move from 13th offense to the top 10. He needs another WR target and a right side of the line. We have to hope we fix these areas in the draft.

Once done, we give him a starter's contract. I don't think it should be $19 mil. There are a lot of solid QB's making in the 16-17 mil range. Besides, we don't have the money which is why this whole conversation is a moot point. The only way that happens is we don't resign anyone, lose some solid talent like Kyle and dump his contract, and rebuild again.

Why not wait a year, be absolutely sure we have our franchise guy, have these important free agents locked up, and wait for the cap to go up again. we will then have some money for TT. He knows it's a business.

Giving him a big contract now is premature, not wise, and would hurt the team.

He was largely ineffective running the ball in the 5-6 games after he came back from his knee injury.

Cuz he probably was playin hurt, the dude had the stone cold steve austin knee brace on the whole season after that and still showed more heart and will to win then others that were healthy or had lesser inuries. gotta respect that. if he, sammy mcCoy, and the whole O line can stay healthy most of next season well see big improvement.

In reality, it doesn't make much of a difference.

He can't leave in FA unless the team wants him to, as they can simply tag him.

Worst-case, they put the exclusive franchise tag on him and end up paying him a $22M one-year deal.

Most likely case: they give him the extension if he plays well.

Middle-ground: they transition tag him for ~$19M for one-year, and match any deal that any other team gives him.

This is the way to go. TT was worth 10M this year, they paid him what? 2M, so 8M in the bank, they pay him another what $2M next year and he goes lights out, he was worth $15m, so your bank is now over $20m. As Bandit says, you transition him at 19m (maybe 5m more than worth, now we're down to $15m in teh bank) , then match at $15-20m any other offer or extend him mid season; you're ahead of the game money wise for the best parts of his career. Net net, if he plays well, he's not going anywhere, and financially it will have worked out to the Bills. If he sucks next year, its see ya later or he signs for much less or this years drafted QB steps in (or maybe EJ, bc he ain't goin anywhere either. Russell Wilson's math is similar. Seattle grossly underpaid him for 3 years and is now grossly overpaying him (sort of) for 3 years, it all works out, as long as you don't fire your $$ gun until you are sure this is the guy....

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore