Is it wise to grossly underpay your starting QB?

How in the world did you draw that conclusion from Wayne's post, in which he said that the Jets would bring Tyrod in to compete for the starting job?

Jets have Geno, Fitz and Petty. Does that look like a team set at QB?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...in his contract year?

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22414460.php?contentType=4&contentId=18361835

So Taylor will make $2M when his value is $19MM. I think Whaley is risking a lot. If TT feels he's been disrespected by the Bills and he makes it to free agency, I think you can kiss him goodbye. Especially when he will be the most sought after free agent in decades.

The Bills are right they gave him a deal and a chance to start. He has not proven himself completely. The Bills will have to step up if TT's play next season warrants a big contract.

If we offered him a huge contract after seeing him play these 14 games and he turns out to be injury prone or never develops those middle of the field and intermediate throws we're hoping for, it would set us back 5 years.

He gets a full offseason and training camp, and the first 8 games next season to show improvement and consistency, then we start negotiating the new deal.

...in his contract year?

So Taylor will make $2M when his value is $19MM. I think Whaley is risking a lot. If TT feels he's been disrespected by the Bills and he makes it to free agency, I think you can kiss him goodbye. Especially when he will be the most sought after free agent in decades.

IDK in most business contracts you stay under those terms till the end of the contract. In sports maybe contracts do have a bit more latitude. overpaying Mario last season a prime example of a huge contract and he played like a DE in the 2MM a year range. of course that was most likely due to an attitude problem.

TT seems grounded, Whaley has been snakebit before. i agree with the Bills take. Tyrod is probabaly 12-15 months away from huge money. I really like Tyrod the Bills will not let him get away at any price. if he establishes himself in 16. I think he will Bigtime. The alternate pro bowl is nice, (for him) but not a true representation of his play. it's nice but will carry little weight in negotiations.

No one will pay him anything close to $19M right now. So that's not his value right now.

This.

...in his contract year?

LOL at "his value is $19M", where did they get this info from, Adisa Bakari?

I thought Whaley was pretty clear and exact about what developments he wants to see from TT before he backs up the Brink truck. If Taylor is smart, he's taking time out from his trips to the tailor and his gym sessions this offseason to get coaching in sliding and to power-study film to see where he could step up into the pocket and find a throwing lane over the middle.

If Taylor feels disrespected by the Bills because they aren't ready to anoint him a $19M man right here and now, frankly, that would indicate to me that he's lost the needed ability to assess his play and see areas for improvement that is needed to take a step to the next level. And let's be clear, while I like TT, thought he showed lots of promise, and want him to start next year, he does need to take a step.

Edited by Hopeful

...in his contract year?

Not sure why everyone is so worried about how much money Tyrod makes. Tyrod understands the deal he signed. It was structured in a way to ensure that he will have a big payday (with the Bills or elsewhere), when he honors the contract he signed, and shows the level of consistency and that any team that is serious about winning, needs to have from a highly paid starting QB. I think Tyrod understands that. He came to Buffalo so he would have a legit opportunity to show that he is a top half starting level NFL QB. He is on his way...let him get there...

As Whaley said when asked about TT's contract, if Tyrod continues to grow as a player, the way they think he can, they will be more than happy to pay him what his value is, when the time comes.

Yeah, I understand, you don't want Tryod to make the desired progress, and be po'd that he isn't making more money...but I haven't seen any indication that is the situation. He was really good in 2015, better than many expected, but he still has to show some more improvement before the Bills get themselves into that kind of a contract situation...it has been referenced ad nauseam I know..but just remember the Fitzpatrick situation.

How wise would it be to rip up Taylors contract, which has a salary manageable year coming up, when the team already has other cap issues. Why make, what is already a tight spot, even tighter, if you don't have to? Who would prefer to make Tyrod a 19 million dollar man, and then, say, get into a situation where they can't re-sign Glenn or Incognito? Tyrod will have his money, but his performance could decline significantly if he loses the talent in front of him...

Let it all paly out...

Of the teams you list, Baltimore, Chargers, Cowboys, Saints, & Cards all have current starting QB's with better all around resumes than TT The Jets' and Lions are a wash as to whether TT is better. In n most of these cases these teams current starter is better today than TT, but the end of their careers is near. Would those teams like to have TT as a back up or as WC posted to complete, sure, but again not going to pay 19 mil for him to be the backup the next couple of years.

So do agree with many, your list of teams willing to spend anywhere close to $19 mil is very misguided. I will say, IF he does have a great or even very good year in 2016, that list will grow, but really a large leap to come to conclusion that TT will jump at the chance to leave due to disrespect.

I think maybe Houston, Cleveland, SF, LA and maybe Denver(if Peyton retires) would consider him possibly THE starting QB. Any of the other teams would bring him in for QB competition, like Jets, but they aren't going to pay him $19M for it.

Really? The Jets are set at QB?

How about AZ? Carson Palmer isn't going to p[lay forever, and judging from his playoff performance, the end could be coming sooner.

Here's my list of teams that would be interested in TT to varying degrees: Jets, Ravens, Browns, Texans, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Bears, Saints, Cards, Rams, Niners.

We've completely disrespected him from the beginning. Signed him in free agency as a backup or third string, actually made him compete for the job in camp, named him the starter but lined him up at WR for the first snap of the season, played EJ instead of him when he was hurt, and then publicly stated that although he enters 2016 as the starter but they still want him to continue to improve. I'm surprised he hasn't burnt OBD to the ground or gone all Kromer and murdered a whole family. There's only so much a man can take.

...in his contract year?

I think TT appreciates the opportunity and all of this situation was talked about when he signed here.

Did the Seahawks and Russell Wilson end badly? Wilson was making less than TT.

Did the Bengals and Dalton end poorly? Dalton was making less than TT.

Well that might be a stretch. Mario Williams and P. Manning were pretty sought after. Reggie White too

I think it would be unwise to pay him now. Was Taylor good? yeah but he wasn't dominant and disappeared for whole halves of games at times.

Personally I need to see him do it one more time before I'm ready to anoint TT and pay the man. Hes close, but hes not there yet

Well said