Is it wise to grossly underpay your starting QB?

I never get the "feel disrespected" angle. TT signed the deal full well knowing that he would have to "prove it" and thus far he has sort of proved it. He's not worth $19M right at this exact moment. If he comes out next year and plays as well as he has or better, then yes he's worth that projected money and the Bills will give it to him. There's no disrespect and even if there was, money talks. Plus, the Bills hold all the chips, they can franchise him if need be and then work out a long term deal.

Exactly. Like every other FA, Taylor will weigh his options; money, location, familiarity, coaching staff, etc. and make a determination which offer to accept. There is no reason to think the Bills can't or won't sign him after the season.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is they need him to prove he can stay healthy before they throw him the big paycheck. He performed well last season, but couldn't stay on the field.

Smart move by Whaley.

He missed 2 games and played something like 83% of our offensive snaps. Let's not act like he's Goodwin or Harvin...

Of the teams you list, Baltimore, Chargers, Cowboys, Saints, & Cards all have current starting QB's with better all around resumes than TT The Jets' and Lions are a wash as to whether TT is better. In n most of these cases these teams current starter is better today than TT, but the end of their careers is near. Would those teams like to have TT as a back up or as WC posted to complete, sure, but again not going to pay 19 mil for him to be the backup the next couple of years.

So do agree with many, your list of teams willing to spend anywhere close to $19 mil is very misguided. I will say, IF he does have a great or even very good year in 2016, that list will grow, but really a large leap to come to conclusion that TT will jump at the chance to leave due to disrespect.

Yes, but all with QBs on their last legs.

I'm not so sure. If TT were a free agent right now, you don't think he'd get offers that large? I do, mainly because starting QBs, much less pro bowl alternates, don't enter free agency. There are at least a dozen teams who would see TT as a massive upgrade.

Are you serious?

Really? The Jets are set at QB?

How about AZ? Carson Palmer isn't going to p[lay forever, and judging from his playoff performance, the end could be coming sooner.

Here's my list of teams that would be interested in TT to varying degrees: Jets, Ravens, Browns, Texans, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Bears, Saints, Cards, Rams, Niners.

The Jets are happy to re-sign Fitz. You think AZ is going to pay 19 million for TT to wait around for Palmer to retire? Ditto for most of your other "dozen". No one is going to pay him much to be a backup.

He was largely ineffective running the ball in the 5-6 games after he came back from his knee injury.

He was?

He had over 50 yards rushing in all 4 of the final 4 games of the season, and over 40 yards rushing in 2 of his first 4 games after returning from his injury.

That's not in any way ineffective.

My response to the question is simple. If your starting QB has proven themselves, it isn't wise. Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, Tom Brady, etc., have all performed at a high level for years. There is absolutely no doubt that they deserve a fair contract based on the services they render for their team. Trying to apply that logic to Tyrod is a joke. He's started one season and had some decent numbers, no doubt. But, when the team has NEEDED him to drive the offense down the field late in many games, he's been unable to do it. He has not shown that he can be that "clutch" guy that you can count on at the ends of games. Overall, his numbers look good, but his inability to lead the comeback says that he deserves another year starting to show that he can get over the hump. Definitely NOT a new deal, 1 year after he signed a 3 year deal.

...in his contract year?

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22414460.php?contentType=4&contentId=18361835

So Taylor will make $2M when his value is $19MM. I think Whaley is risking a lot. If TT feels he's been disrespected by the Bills and he makes it to free agency, I think you can kiss him goodbye. Especially when he will be the most sought after free agent in decades.

19 ... :lol::lol::lol:

He's dead serious. Didn't you see the most sought after free agent in decades comment?

If you add in his spectacular day vs the Cowboys 19 mil is a deal!!

Considering you and your fellow troll's track record at predicting the value of players, I wouldn't be so bold. TT in free agency would be a big deal. Starting QBs simply do not enter free agency. But you and your fellow trolls are entitled to your opinions as I am to mine.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Considering you and your fellow troll's track record at predicting the value of players, I wouldn't be so bold. TT in free agency would be a big deal. Starting QBs simply do not enter free agency. But you and your fellow trolls are entitled to your opinions as I am to mine. For a franchise that has been seeking a way out of QB purgatory for a decade and a half, I would think they wouldn't be so reticent.

We are out of qb purgatory for sure. Played the nfc least and afc south and still sucked.

Feel the rush.

Considering you and your fellow troll's track record at predicting the value of players, I wouldn't be so bold. TT in free agency would be a big deal. Starting QBs simply do not enter free agency. But you and your fellow trolls are entitled to your opinions as I am to mine. For a franchise that has been seeking a way out of QB purgatory for a decade and a half, I would think they wouldn't be so reticent.

PTR..I agree with you on that point...people laughing at the notion that Tyrod is a "19 million dollar QB", just aren't paying attention...19 million dollars is a lot of money, but put it in context of today's NFL, and it isn't as much as it sounds like. I will be curious to see how much Brock Osweiller gets as a free agent.

21a.jpg

Actually pretty funny that TTT is still taking this stance

The difference is they need him to prove he can stay healthy before they throw him the big paycheck. He performed well last season, but couldn't stay on the field.

Smart move by Whaley.

How many games did he actually miss

now

Go take a look and see how many games franchise QBs miss

now

pay attention

Considering you and your fellow troll's track record at predicting the value of players, I wouldn't be so bold. TT in free agency would be a big deal. Starting QBs simply do not enter free agency. But you and your fellow trolls are entitled to your opinions as I am to mine.

You aren't even predicting anything. TT is under contract. He actually CAN NOT get $19M from any team this offseason. Besides possibly the Bills.

You aren't even predicting anything. TT is under contract. He actually CAN NOT get $19M from any team this offseason. Besides possibly the Bills.

I actually have no problem with Whaley not paying TT just yet.

and

You notice that TT has not said a WORD about his contract. It is my own personal belief that the bills have a handshake agreement that they have guys like Glenn and Cog that need to be taken care of this offseason (the guys that protect TT's butt) and that TT is gonna get taken care of.