Is it wise to grossly underpay your starting QB?

How would he feel disrespected when the Bills brought him in specifically to give him a chance to become a starter. He was given a 3 yr deal that voided to 2 if he performed well and gives him a chance to hit a big contract at the end of year two "IF HE EARNS IT". He hasn't yet earned it. He has a lot of things to improve on. Will he/Can he earn that big payday, very possibly yes. But I don't think the Bills are totally convinced and I would be shocked if anyone else around the league is 100% convinced. I think it would be a HUGE mistake to sign him for $19-$20+ per year on a long terms deal right now. The best play is to try to get him to agree to a 1-2 yr extension. Something like 2yrs, $36m ($8m signing bonus maybe 50-60% GTD). That gives him some immediate cash upfront and some stability. It would give the Bills time to see if he is the long term answer and he would still have the opportunity to cash in Big time at the age of 29 IF HE EARNS IT.

Panicking now and signing him to a Ryan Tannehill type deal would be a mistake. Look at the 49ers and Kaepernick. I don't want the Bills to be in that situation.

Isn't Kaepernick's deal the exact model that we would want for Tyrod's deal?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you find in this thread where I said that TT would get $19MMM as a backup and I'll give you a hundred dollars!

"TT would get $19MMM as a backup."

PM me for an address to send the check to.

I'm not so sure. If TT were a free agent right now, you don't think he'd get offers that large? I do, mainly because starting QBs, much less pro bowl alternates, don't enter free agency. There are at least a dozen teams who would see TT as a massive upgrade.

Yes, but all with QBs on their last legs.

Really? The Jets are set at QB?

How about AZ? Carson Palmer isn't going to p[lay forever, and judging from his playoff performance, the end could be coming sooner.

You should delete this thread before you have to pay everyone reading it.

"TT would get $19MMM as a backup."

PM me for an address to send the check to.

I would be willing to represent you in this matter. pro Bono of course.

Do not accept a check!

pay pal transfer with fees paid by the loser in the bet is a good way to go.

or a certifed letter with small bills totalling $100 cash.

Both are prefarable to a check unless it is a cashiers check.

Edited by Best Player Available

I don't even think a team like the Jets would offer him that kind of money and their QB situation isn't amazing. Like I said earlier in the thread I think, maybe, the Rams, Texans, Browns and Eagles would offer him the $19m. Still think that's a stretch because some of those teams are picking high in the draft and i think would prefer a draft prospect and a journeyman over Taylor who has started all of 14 games.

This is the key point I think for right now. Taylor had good stats last year, but wasn't a closer. He didn't take the team down the field when he needed to at the end of games to win them. With not enough starts and enough demonstration of his ability to do that, teams would look to the draft first. No proven quarterback that isn't close to 40 years old will ever make it to free agency. They'll be traded. As for his pay grade, he's not getting $19 million without the winning behind it. Heck, Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford, and even Andrew Luck are getting paid less than that. More than likely, unless he absolutely knocks it out of the park next year, he's looking at Andy Dalton money.

Is that why 97% of the replies think paying him now is foolish ? I don't get it.

There's no argument it's been mostly cackling.

It must be a rare feeling to have a majority in your corner for once. It's a free country (and a free message board, I assume) if I want to express my opinion. My feeling is you don't mess around when you have a good thing going. You are still on your "TT sux" crusade. Whatever. Time will reveal the truth.

It must be a rare feeling to have a majority in your corner for once. It's a free country (and a free message board, I assume) if I want to express my opinion. My feeling is you don't mess around when you have a good thing going. You are still on your "TT sux" crusade. Whatever. Time will reveal the truth.

Who is messing around? Tyrod is under contract. They will work on an extension next year based on performance. There is nothing nefarious going on.

Who is messing around? Tyrod is under contract. They will work on an extension next year based on performance. There is nothing nefarious going on.

I know. I just worry about TT souring on the Bills if he feels unappreciated. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Is your argument that Tyrod would get $19M on the open market today?

FWIW, I think that is certainly possible. The Browns offered a 1st round pick (and more) for Sam Bradford last year and were turned down!! A team like the Texans or Broncos that aren't picking early, have some talent but don't have a QB would be interested.

I know. I just worry about TT souring on the Bills if he feels unappreciated.

No offense--that makes no sense.

He signed a contract for 3 years, with the incentive that the final year would void if he met certain playing time criteria, making him an unrestricted FA 1 year earlier.

He played above expectations, and earned the chance to start next year. Now he has to go out and prove that he can improve upon his first year as a starter, in which case he'll be rewarded.

How could he possibly feel unappreciated?

FWIW, I think that is certainly possible. The Browns offered a 1st round pick (and more) for Sam Bradford last year and were turned down!! A team like the Texans or Broncos that aren't picking early, have some talent but don't have a QB would be interested.

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. I just find it odd to name teams like the Ravens, Cards etc. if that's the argument. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. I just find it odd to name teams like the Ravens, Cards etc. if that's the argument. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Totally agree and would probably even include the Browns in that conversation as they have such an early pick. They can get Wentz or Goff on a rookie deal. Who ever knows what they are doing though.