Is it wise to grossly underpay your starting QB?

...in his contract year?

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22414460.php?contentType=4&contentId=18361835

So Taylor will make $2M when his value is $19MM. I think Whaley is risking a lot. If TT feels he's been disrespected by the Bills and he makes it to free agency, I think you can kiss him goodbye. Especially when he will be the most sought after free agent in decades.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...in his contract year?

So Taylor will make $2M when his value is $19MM. I think Whaley is risking a lot. If TT feels he's been disrespected by the Bills and he makes it to free agency, I think you can kiss him goodbye. Especially when he will be the most sought after free agent in decades.

Well that might be a stretch. Mario Williams and P. Manning were pretty sought after. Reggie White too

I think it would be unwise to pay him now. Was Taylor good? yeah but he wasn't dominant and disappeared for whole halves of games at times.

Personally I need to see him do it one more time before I'm ready to anoint TT and pay the man. Hes close, but hes not there yet

In reality, it doesn't make much of a difference.

He can't leave in FA unless the team wants him to, as they can simply tag him.

Worst-case, they put the exclusive franchise tag on him and end up paying him a $22M one-year deal.

Most likely case: they give him the extension if he plays well.

Middle-ground: they transition tag him for ~$19M for one-year, and match any deal that any other team gives him.

...in his contract year?

21a.jpg

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

No one will pay him anything close to $19M right now. So that's not his value right now.

I'm not so sure. If TT were a free agent right now, you don't think he'd get offers that large? I do, mainly because starting QBs, much less pro bowl alternates, don't enter free agency. There are at least a dozen teams who would see TT as a massive upgrade. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I never get the "feel disrespected" angle. TT signed the deal full well knowing that he would have to "prove it" and thus far he has sort of proved it. He's not worth $19M right at this exact moment. If he comes out next year and plays as well as he has or better, then yes he's worth that projected money and the Bills will give it to him. There's no disrespect and even if there was, money talks. Plus, the Bills hold all the chips, they can franchise him if need be and then work out a long term deal.

I'm not so sure. If TT were a free agent right now, you don't think he'd get offers that large? I do, mainly because starting QBs, much less pro bowl alternates, don't enter free agency. There are at least a dozen teams who would see TT as a massive upgrade.

Which dozen teams?

I think maybe Houston, Cleveland, SF, LA and maybe Denver(if Peyton retires) would consider him possibly THE starting QB. Any of the other teams would bring him in for QB competition, like Jets, but they aren't going to pay him $19M for it.

I never get the "feel disrespected" angle. TT signed the deal full well knowing that he would have to "prove it" and thus far he has sort of proved it. He's not worth $19M right at this exact moment. If he comes out next year and plays as well as he has or better, then yes he's worth that projected money and the Bills will give it to him. There's no disrespect and even if there was, money talks. Plus, the Bills hold all the chips, they can franchise him if need be and then work out a long term deal.

Which dozen teams?

I think maybe Houston, Cleveland, SF, LA and maybe Denver(if Peyton retires) would consider him possibly THE starting QB. Any of the other teams would bring him in for QB competition, like the Jets, but they aren't going to pay him $19M for it.

Really? The Jets are set at QB?

How about AZ? Carson Palmer isn't going to p[lay forever, and judging from his playoff performance, the end could be coming sooner.

Here's my list of teams that would be interested in TT to varying degrees: Jets, Ravens, Browns, Texans, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Bears, Saints, Cards, Rams, Niners.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

...in his contract year?

Way too many assumptions in this post. First, he has to maintain production in his second year. Second, there is the entire issue of him able to see and use the full breadth of the field. Thirdly, the money being paid to him is on a 'show-me' contract. Then there is the experience with a Fitz-type contract made too early.

Finally, 'most sought after in decades' ? That is entirely your opinion.

I get that you are one of his strongest supporters but paying someone with the fear that he will fee disrespectful 14 months from now is way too un-businesslike.

In reality, it doesn't make much of a difference.

He can't leave in FA unless the team wants him to, as they can simply tag him.

Worst-case, they put the exclusive franchise tag on him and end up paying him a $22M one-year deal.

Most likely case: they give him the extension if he plays well.

Middle-ground: they transition tag him for ~$19M for one-year, and match any deal that any other team gives him.

This. If Taylor improves his play from the pocket and progressions he will earn a tag - and a lucrative long term deal. If he doesn't, then we're left with what we saw last season. That's not bad, but it isn't enough.

Really? The Jets are set at QB?

How about AZ? Carson Palmer isn't going to p[lay forever, and judging from his playoff performance, the end could be coming sooner.

Where did I say the Jets are set at QB? I said they would bring in Tyrod for competition if he was a FA but in case you hadn't noticed Ryan Fitzpatrick set all sorts of QB records for them and oh yea, helped them to a 10-6 record. He proved he could win in NY and would come much cheaper than $19m per. So, I'm sure they would be willing to bring TT in and battle it out with Fitz but not for $19m.

And if you think the Cardinals would ditch Palmer, a proven QB that can win in AZ, for TT then idk what to say. If AZ was even contemplating bringing in TT, as I said before, it would be to try and beat out Palmer and not for $19m.

Edited by Wayne Cubed