How long before Sexton drops Marrone as a client?

eball

Serious question -- Maroon has become something of a cancer, it seems, in the prospective HC candidate world. Interviews for lots of jobs, gets none. Can't get out from under the way he left Buffalo -- sorry, $4M doesn't explain it -- and more and more people have come to realize he's something of a tool.

If I'm Sexton, and Marrone doesn't get one of the remaining jobs and has to crawl back to OL duties in Jacksonville, I think my stint with him is done.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question -- Maroon has become something of a cancer, it seems, in the prospective HC candidate world. Interviews for lots of jobs, gets none. Can't get out from under the way he left Buffalo -- sorry, $4M doesn't explain it -- and more and more people have come to realize he's something of a tool.

If I'm Sexton, and Marrone doesn't get one of the remaining jobs and has to crawl back to OL duties in Jacksonville, I think my stint with him is done.

Why? hes still getting paid by Marrone for negotiating contracts. HC or otherwise

He should drop Shefty

Well, in fairness some agents have to sell bull$h!t to potential customers. Sexton is doing a pretty good job of selling Maroon but it seems that when Owners/GMs get him in room and question him they don't like what they hear enough to hire him. I can't really say it's hurting Sextons reputation because at least he is getting Maroon the interviews. He can't be in there and hold his hand as well. Maybe he realizes St. Dougs reputation is too tarnished by what happened in Buffalo and ditches him, I guess we shall see.

Why would any agent drop a client? It's his job to get his client work. Clients fire agents for lack of jobs.

If you had a PITA client taking up 10% of your time whining about how he needs to be considered for jobs waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy above his worth and that same client was earning you 1% of your income, you'd drop him. Time is money and Marrone wastes time. That's the theory behind dropping a client anyway.

I don't understand your position on this issue? Why would he give up on Marrone as a client, even if he remains as a coordinator in this league. You don't think that the agent for DM can't be approached for a college job? It was reported that Marrone was a serious candidate for the Michigan job before Harbaugh was selected.

Your disdain for DM is understandable because of the way he left the organization. My position on his departure is different from yours. My belief is if a person is not happy doing what he is doing and where he is doing it then (in any type of profession) that person not only has a right to leave (as his contract stipulated) but should leave.

What I can say for sure is that Marrone did more with a lesser roster than the babbling Rex did with a better roster. That must really get your goat.

I don't understand your position on this issue? Why would he give up on Marrone as a client, even if he remains as a coordinator in this league. You don't think that the agent for DM can't be approached for a college job? It was reported that Marrone was a serious candidate for the Michigan job before Harbaugh was selected.

Your disdain for DM is understandable because of the way he left the organization. My position on his departure is different from yours. My belief is if a person is not happy doing what he is doing and where he is doing it then (in any type of profession) that person not only has a right to leave (as his contract stipulated) but should leave.

What I can say for sure is that Marrone did more with a lesser roster than the babbling Rex did with a better roster. That must really get your goat.

Ohhhhhh, it was reported......ok then. You win the internet.

Mmmm, but think of it this way. Dropping a client you've been touting is likely to get some press and makes you (Sexton) as an agent, look disloyal and maybe a bit of a fool.

Much better (for Sexton) to keep Marrone but simply stop pushing him as hard. It's probably opaque to Marrone: "Doug, I'm putting out feelers, I'm making the calls, but we're just not getting the traction. Keep the faith, something will open up" how does Marrone know exactly what's going on from Sexton's side?

Then when Marrone doesn't get satisfactory results, Marrone will move on "Sorry to lose you, Doug, but it's business. I understand." no muss no fuss no PR.

If you had a PITA client taking up 10% of your time whining about how he needs to be considered for jobs waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy above his worth and that same client was earning you 1% of your income, you'd drop him. Time is money and Marrone wastes time. That's the theory behind dropping a client anyway.

Top notch agents don't let clients waste their time like that. They have secretaries and flunkies to give a guy the brush off, probably so skilled at it, he doesn't even feel the brush. Give a guy the brush-off enough and HE'LL quit YOU.

House listing agents love to show a fix'er upper before they show the real (more expensive) bounty. In this sense, Marrone is the perfect client. Sexton can start by showing teams Marrone, the fix'er upper, and then follow him with a real, more attractive candidate. By the time the team is done interviewing Marrone, they'll be so desperate and depressed that they're certain to hire the next candidate they're shown.

Sadly, Brandon got excited about the renovation job. He must love picking out floor tiles...