Ed Reed to join Bills coaching staff

YoloinOhio

Leadership can't be discounted.

I still think the team made a mistake of letting Freddie go one year too early. He was the main team leader.

And Freddie's protege was? Aaron Williams. Aaron and Kyle Williams were the only leaders on that defense and when they went down early, it really hurt the D.

Stephon, Dareus, and Mario are all quiet guys, Hughes is the wild one, and the rest of the guys were young or backup guys still trying to prove themselves.

At season's end, as far as leaders, you had maybe Corey Graham and Manny Lawson, but they seem to be more lead by example guys.

Without the two leaders and Mario disgruntled, it really hurt the defense.

In comes Rob Ryan and Ed Reed. Say what you want about Rob Ryan as a D coordinator, but from most reports, he is a fire-you-up type of coach and

players liked playing for him. I give Rex and the team credit, they are already attempting to resolve issues from last year. 1. In case we don't have players

to lead and fire each other up, we better have some coaches who can do so; 2. Reed can really teach they system and help with the communication issues.

(addendum: In the long run, getting rid of Freddie may have worked out because it forced Tyrod to become more of a leader, which should pay dividends next year

and we found ourselves a couple of good RBs, but for just the 2015 season, his loss in leadership and the loss of an extra set of legs when McCoy and Karlos went down

really hurt the team.)

Agree with what you said about the D when Kyle and Aaron got hurt they lacked true leadership on that side of the ball. As for the offense, I'm sure Tyrod was learning how to lead that side of the ball. But with Freddie getting cut the true leader of this team stepped up in the second half of the year, both with his play and with his voice, and that was Sammy. I think going forward this will become Sammy's team, and will not be afraid to get in someone's face if necessary.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First the clowns on WGR were yapping about Rob Ryan being a good hire because he knows and can teach Rex's ultra freakin' complicated defense. Now this morning, they were saying the same thing about Ed Reed.

I pose the question once again....are the morons that Rex hired last off-season, not capable of teaching this defense?

As a related side note...Since Rex's scheme is not lighting the NFL on fire year after year, has it ever dawned on him, that maybe he should simplify it? He was flapping his gums when he was hired last year, that this is probably his last chance at being a HC, and he needs to get better as a coach. First season = strike one.

He appears to be stubborn, and maybe thick-headed. Or it could be that "his" scheme is the only one he really knows, and is intellectually incapable of growth. The "one-trick pony" syndrome. He also seems intent on running a retirement home for former Ravens and Jets, and the children of long time amigos.

Hard Knocks will be in Buffalo this year FOR SURE.

That would be the capper to the emerging clown show that is the Buffoons.

hear hear. I think Duke failed the Wonderlic. There is something to be said for smart players.

then why has Crossman not been axed yet?

Because everyone has read there is an ultimatum for Rex to get to playoffs or he is going to be fired so why would they hire a coach for more than one year and they read on TwoBillsDrive which is filled with people more qualified to be in front office than everyone there that Rex is a bust and should have been fired last year!

/s++

As a related side note...Since Rex's scheme is not lighting the NFL on fire year after year, has it ever dawned on him, that maybe he should simplify it? He was flapping his gums when he was hired last year, that this is probably his last chance at being a HC, and he needs to get better as a coach. First season = strike one.

Second season= skip strike two right to strike three.

Players who are not qualified to be umpire in AAA farm team game rarely are called to umpire World Series even if plane with original umpires crashes with all hands lost.

I think overall this is a positive move. He may be "unpredictable", but he's just an assistant to help players learn the system.

There are gonna be people looking to poke holes in any move made.....

As there should be. Differing views breeds improvement.

I say wait till next season and see what it looks like

Are you proposing shutting the board down until next August? Edited by Saint Doug

Agree with what you said about the D when Kyle and Aaron got hurt they lacked true leadership on that side of the ball. As for the offense, I'm sure Tyrod was learning how to lead that side of the ball. But with Freddie getting cut the true leader of this team stepped up in the second half of the year, both with his play and with his voice, and that was Sammy. I think going forward this will become Sammy's team, and will not be afraid to get in someone's face if necessary.

If Sammy is the leader of this team that sounds like a bad thing to me - as does him getting in someones face. WR's typically don't make great leaders. I like Sammy's attitude towards himself and his own ability - that's where I'd like him to stay.

There's different types of leaders and I think it's good when there's multiple leaders. The head coach and QB should be the ultimate leaders of the entire team.

Great point Lovemesomebills...you're right Sammy did really become a leader down the stretch and it usually is the best players on the team or the QB who become the leaders (as long as they're not head cases). You can see it in the Leodis McKelvin "Wired for sound" video from the final game at like 2:50-2:56---after Tarpley's INT. Sammy runs out and greets Leo and they excitedly slap each other's helmets (and this is in a game that technically means nothing to them). There were a lot of moments like that from Sammy over the last handful of games.

But I also agree with Triple Threat, that on a 53 man roster, you need multiple leaders. I think Sammy and Tyrod should be good on offense, but it would be nice to have at least one defensive guy. If Aaron and Kyle Williams both come back and are playing well, they could handle it, but still good to have coaches who can fire the guys up if we end up in the same situation again (with the leaders going down).

It will take Reed two years to learn the "D". What good is that?

He's not the dc. He's an assistant db coach. He's there to teach them technique and help them with reading the offense/qb/tendencies. He's one of the best safeties ever. I believe he can pass along lots of valuable information to our dbs.

I remember reading how it used to drive Magic Johnson and Larry Bird insane when they (irrationally) couldn't understand why their players they were coaching couldn't think fast enough to name the right decisions. Magic quit pretty early on. Bird was a pretty good coach but it was very hard for him to deal with players not as good as him.

True that. Gretzky struggled coaching too.

Weddle?

IMO Weddle isn't coming to Buffalo. We can't afford him.

@BuffaloBillsPR

@buffalobills HC Rex Ryan on Ed Reed joining the #Bills coaching staff:

CYpOWDhWEAAs3P_.jpg

I am excited about this.

I also can't stand Rex saying, "and stuff like that"!

Might be our biggest offseason move. Need leadership on D. He can bring it from the sidelines.

Agreed and hope it works!!

Like Pepper Johnson. The lads need someone they can learn from that they respect.

Agreed. I also think Pepper was a big part of our team success last year for these same reasons.

It will take Reed two years to learn the "D". What good is that?

Because he was the captain of that defense along with Ray Lewis as Rex was his DC for years. If Ed can coach, it is a good move as Rex is all in on his defense. He admitted on Mike and Mike he tried to blend Schwartz defense and his defense and if didn't work. That makes sense, so give it your best Rex. If it fails again, your done.

Phil Simms used this logic with the hiring of Rob as well in that he will be there to teach Rex's style. At least this team will know how to run Rex's defense without confusion next year. Then we'll know if it works.

Ed Reed's son, a Patriots fan, hesitant about dad coaching for Bills
Ed Reed had one obstacle to overcome before agreeing to join Rex Ryan's staff in Buffalo: His son is a New England fan. New Bills assistant defensive backs coach Ed Reed told Showtime's "Inside the NFL" on Monday that Rex Ryan called and approached him about an opportunity coaching. Reed's son, a Patriots fan, needed convincing, but Ryan pressed and Reed accepted the job. The former NFL safety noted he has experience running a football camp but he will need to learn how to coach from other coaches.