Ed Reed to join Bills coaching staff

YoloinOhio

Someone remind me. A former player of Rex's from his Baltiless days was quoted this year saying something like "The thing about Rex's D is everyone has to have buy-in or it doesn't work."

I don't think it was Ray Lewis... Was it Ed Reed? Whatever the quote was, it stuck out to me in retrospect as maybe being a dig against Mario.

Might have been Jason Taylor from NYJ days.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone remind me. A former player of Rex's from his Baltiless days was quoted this year saying something like "The thing about Rex's D is everyone has to have buy-in or it doesn't work."

I don't think it was Ray Lewis... Was it Ed Reed? Whatever the quote was, it stuck out to me in retrospect as maybe being a dig against Mario.

Big if true.

With Ed Reed coming in and Dennis Thurman supposedly being pushed down, did Donnie Hendersen become expendable?

Tim McDonald is also a DB coach with the Bills. He seems to be the forgotten man though his resume as a player isn't shabby either: 6 Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl ring.

If the stories of Dennis working primarily with the secondary this year are true, that gives us three guys working with the defensive backfield. All three are ex-players and all three have made the Pro Bowl.

“Being that I was a player and I studied the game the way I studied it, I don't feel like it might take as long as it does for certain coaches." ~ Ed Reed.

First the clowns on WGR were yapping about Rob Ryan being a good hire because he knows and can teach Rex's ultra freakin' complicated defense. Now this morning, they were saying the same thing about Ed Reed.

I pose the question once again....are the morons that Rex hired last off-season, not capable of teaching this defense?

As a related side note...Since Rex's scheme is not lighting the NFL on fire year after year, has it ever dawned on him, that maybe he should simplify it? He was flapping his gums when he was hired last year, that this is probably his last chance at being a HC, and he needs to get better as a coach. First season = strike one.

Edited by LabattBlue

First the clowns on WGR were yapping about Rob Ryan being a good hire because he knows and can teach Rex's ultra freakin' complicated defense. Now this morning, they were saying the same thing about Ed Reed.

I pose the question once again....are the morons that Rex hired last off-season, not capable of teaching this defense?

As a related side note...Since Rex's scheme is not lighting the NFL on fire year after year, has it ever dawned on him, that maybe he should simplify it? He was flapping his gums when he was hired last year, that this is probably his last chance at being a HC, and he needs to get better as a coach. First season = strike one.

Maybe it just takes more than one season to get locked. Not like the guy NEVER had a successful D in the NFL...

Reading this article, in mid-January, I got sucked into an existential 30,000 foot view of what it means to be a football fan right now. Bouncing around my brain now is one impossible-to-answer question: Just what am I expected to do with any of this knowledge?

i wouldn't hire him as the main coach of the secondary. Yet. But as an assistant who understands the current state of being a DB in the league and the offenses and oh by the way, we play the AFC North this year. It can only help to add him along with the "real" coaches.

Reading this article, in mid-January, I got sucked into an existential 30,000 foot view of what it means to be a football fan right now. Bouncing around my brain now is one impossible-to-answer question: Just what am I expected to do with any of this knowledge?

According to many posters, you're supposed to use these limited scraps of "knowledge" (i.e., some writer's opinion) to make predictions about this upcoming season with a high degree of certainty.

Others of us would prefer to wait until the experience occurs, and then apply this information to that experience to make better predictions for the next time around.

i wouldn't hire him as the main coach of the secondary. Yet. But as an assistant who understands the current state of being a DB in the league and the offenses and oh by the way, we play the AFC North this year. It can only help to add him along with the "real" coaches.

I wasn't aware of these issues. Have to believe that his intelligence, toughness and winner's mentality will out weigh the problems.

According to many posters, you're supposed to use these limited scraps of "knowledge" (i.e., some writer's opinion) to make predictions about this upcoming season with a high degree of certainty.

Others of us would prefer to wait until the experience occurs, and then apply this information to that experience to make better predictions for the next time around.

You and I should do a radio show.

Might have been Jason Taylor from NYJ days.

this. that was it

pretty sure that;s true of most defenses

Clearly they need a safety who can run Rex's defense authoritatively, the way Jim Leonard used to. If the rumor is true about Reed, he might be a good choice to help teach it.

Love it. Now if Aaron Williams comes back, Gilmore is signed and McFumble is cut, all will be good on the back end

I'll admit it when i'm wrong but there is no way in hell that ER will coach. First and foremost he has never coached. Transition from athlete to coach is difficult for many. I think he has commentator aspirations.

I WAS WRONG! and apparently know jack sh*t about what this organization is going to do. Like this hire better that Fat Rex.