Worse to be a Bills fan or a Bengals fan right now?

Big Turk

I know on the surface this seems stupid, because the Bengals have been regular season heroes the last several seasons, but what good does it do when you get to the playoffs and just implode time after time? Yesterday was a textbook definition of imploding...

The Bills haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years but there is a chance when they get there they can actually do something. You KNOW the Bengals are going to make the playoffs but you also know in the deepest reaches of your heart that they are going to get bounced in the first round. It's almost unbelievable how one coach and players could consistently lose to a variety of other coaches and teams they are up against...

So what fans have it worse, the Bills hoping against hope we make the playoffs or the Bengals who are simply wasting the good years of this franchise with good regular seasons and then playoff implosions? At some point they will have to enter rebuild mode...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know on the surface this seems stupid, because the Bengals have been regular season heroes the last several seasons, but what good does it do when you get to the playoffs and just implode time after time? Yesterday was a textbook definition of imploding...

The Bills haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years but there is a chance when they get there they can actually do something. You KNOW the Bengals are going to make the playoffs but you also know in the deepest reaches of your heart that they are going to get bounced in the first round. It's almost unbelievable how one coach and players could consistently lose to a variety of other coaches and teams they are up against...

So what fans have it worse, the Bills hoping against hope we make the playoffs or the Bengals who are simply wasting the good years of this franchise with good regular seasons and then playoff implosions? At some point they will have to enter rebuild mode...

I would rather have a team with a winning record that makes the playoffs as opposed to missing them for the last 16 seasons.....

The bolded part makes absolutely no sense

I know where you are coming from based on how I felt after some of the Bills losses in the playoffs and in particular the four Super Bowl losses and the Titans game - those losses stung so much more. It also must have stung that much more given the way the Steelers got in position for the field goal.

I know where you are coming from based on how I felt after some of the Bills losses in the playoffs and in particular the four Super Bowl losses and the Titans game - those losses stung so much more. It also must have stung that much more given the way the Steelers got in position for the field goal.

i agree, and i would not want to suffer the anguish those bengal fans are feeling.. it is never a good feeling waking up after a devastating loss like that one last night.

Well, when you look at it logically:

1) the Bengals have not won a playoff game since the 1990 season, 25 years

2) the Bengals have been to the playoffs 7 times in the last 11 years, 6 times in the last 8 years

1) the Bills have not won a playoff game since the 1995 season, 20 years.

2) the Bills have not been to the playoffs in 16 years

I imagine right now, the Bengals and their fans feel like the NFL's dog, being kicked to the curb in the post season 7 times in a row.

But objectively, you never hit the shot you don't take, so it's far better to be in the position to keep taking shots. And really they controlled their own fate, there.

Which I suppose makes them feel worse this morning.

I don't understand the logic of the bolded sentence. I think the Bengals feel there is a chance they may do something in the playoffs. They were arguably playing their best football since drafting Dalton before he went out with a broken thumb.

Edited by Hopeful

IMO you'd have to be crazy to think that being a perennial playoff team is worse than not making them for 16 years, no matter what happens once you get there.

Exactly. Bengals fans were crying tears of joy after the game because they weren't the Bills.

So you're saying we're worse than the Texans?

I'm not saying anything about the strength of any individual teams, I'm talking about the fan experience of a perennial playoff team vs. ours. We as fans watch the games because we want to see our team win, and teams that are good enough to make the playoffs year in and year out win more than teams that are never good enough to make the playoffs year in and year out. When they're fresh playoff losses may sting more than being eliminated somewhere between week 12 and 16 due to the higher hopes and higher stakes, but that doesn't change the fact that objectively over time fans of consistent playoff teams enjoy more success than Bills fans have over the past decade and a half.

Edit: using your Texans example, they have made the playoffs what, 3 of the last 5 years or something like that? Regardless of who is the better team right now, over that time period Texans fans have had it better than bills fans, on the whole.

Edited by Chandemonium

I'm not saying anything about the strength of any individual teams, I'm talking about the fan experience of a perennial playoff team vs. ours. We as fans watch the games because we want to see our team win, and teams that are good enough to make the playoffs year in and year out win more than teams that are never good enough to make the playoffs year in and year out. When they're fresh playoff losses may sting more than being eliminated somewhere between week 12 and 16 due to the higher hopes and higher stakes, but that doesn't change the fact that objectively over time fans of consistent playoff teams enjoy more success than Bills fans have over the past decade and a half.

Nope. That's not what you said.

In your own words, you said "IMO you'd have to be crazy to think that being a perennial playoff team is worse than making them for 16 years"

Not once did you refer to being a fan. So you're saying the Texans, who made the playoffs are better than us. I'd disagree with that.

Neither is worse than the other. They are just different.

This is where I stand. Yeh we haven't made the playoffs for 16 years. The majority of those years we had some horrible teams with zero expectations. Can you imagine always being a favorite to make the playoffs and/or make it deep in the playoffs and you never win a single playoff game with this group? If you can't win a single playoff game NOW? How is it going to be when the roster turns over and you simply don't have the talent anymore to even challenge for the playoffs?

I feel for their fans. This franchise is setting itself up for years of misery b/c talent windows close up very quickly in the NFL.