Cowherd Rant About Nick Saban

I am not a fan of Cowherd but he sure does make a great point here. He compares hiring Saban to hiring Marrone.

I know this has been discussed before and if it the mods wish to close this, it's all cool. :) But if Saban leads the Crimson Tide to victory tomorrow, my fear as a Bama fan is that someone is going to offer him 10 million per season to coach in the NFL. It makes total sense even economically (as Cowherd explains).

Think about it if you will, Saban or Rex? :) Not such a tough decision, ya know?

Jmo.

If you don't think that Saban would be a better coach than Doug Marrone I really don't know what to say.

I am not sure I am saying that. I want a coach I think I can win a Superbowl Championship with.

Two coaches - Marrone and Saban... and their identical 15-17 NFL records are not the answer to that even if one might be better than the other.

I would not throw my whole organisation with personnel control at any 15-17 NFL Head Coach regardless of what he had won in college which was Cowherd's argument.

And then the key part of this - Saban knows he is JAG in the NFL. He is nit coming back. He does get owners calling him. His ego won't take another failure. He says no every time.

Lets first of all, assume any major college Head Coach and any NFL coach are high in football acumen. They all know the game. So it really comes down to so many other factors outside the X's and O's.

So consider this . . .

The process or system of being a Head Coach in the NFL is totally different than in college. In college, you build a program.And, really, the only hinderance is the amount of money and priority a particular school wants to place on it—at Alabama, neither of these are an obstacle.

In the NFL, you have to build your team within very prescribed boundaries.

Saban is great at the program building, especially in an environment where he has everything one needs to be successful. They give him everything he asks for and more (Say he was at Syracuse, do you think he would be as successful as he is now?). Alabama is the perfect fit for a person like Saban. And to his credit, he knows that. He knows there are very very few other places where he could have success like he is having there.

And, most relevant, he knows the NFL is not that kind of place. It is a totally different type of role. There are way more limitations for an NFL Head Coach than there ever will be at a football factory like Alabama.

Could he be successful in the NFL? Sure, he knows the game as well as anyone. But is the likelihood as high in the the NFL? No. He's smart enough to know that, and he is in a position where he gets to decide.

He is right where he should be.

He does get owners calling him. His ego won't take another failure. He says no every time.

Bill, there is WAY more to it than the above.

His daughter just got married and he is a recent grandfather.

He set up his son with a car dealership.....in Alabama.

He and his wife are very active in the church down there as well as charities and rebuilding after the tornado.

But, there is probably more pressure in Alabama than there would be in the NFL. Tide Fans are as crazy as Bills Fans and would have almost no patience for a losing team. We can certainly agree to disagree, but imo Saban, if given control, would create an all world staff and organization, and turn around any losing team (ahem :) ).

The man is a winner.

Saban is great at the program building, especially in an environment where he has everything one needs to be successful. They give him everything he asks for and more (Say he was at Syracuse, do you think he would be as successful as he is now?).

That is a good and fair question CSB.

I don't know if he would have AS much success at Syracuse, but he has improved every program with which he has been involved. My guess is that given time, a championship at Syracuse would not be totally out of the question.

Saban is never going back to the pros. he is god in alabama. His recruiting machine sets him up with the best talent in the US every year. It would be like the Bills getting 7 1st round picks.

Saban walks into the house of any kid deciding on which college, and he shows him the record of AL and how many players get drafted into the NFL in the top 3 rounds, and they say yes before LSU, or FL.

Why would Saban leave Alabama? I don't see it. He's clearly a great coach but NCAA success often does not translate to NFL success. Can you tell me an NFL team currently in need of a coach where he'd succeed for sure? I can't. The only organization where he'd succeed is Pittsburg, where they hire good coaches and stick with them within a loyalty-based organization. They are the only team in the NFL built like that and they are not hiring.

If Alabama was struggling and Saban was on the hot seat, I could see it but not under other circumstances.

Saban will stay put. Don't worry Bill: You will get to root for one winning football team for years to come.

Edited by Observer

The man is a winner.

In college football. I am a winning Head Coach in semi-pro soccer. That doesn't mean I could make Liverpool Premier League Champions.

Saban had a go - it didn't really work out and after two years rather than saying "I am a winner I am going to make sure I win in the NFL too" he realised the college game is where his expertise lies and went back to it.

And please don't give me the "if they had just got him Drew Brees like he asked" because that excuse isn't made for anyone else. Nobody is saying of Mike Munchack "well if the Titans had just got him Peyton Manning like he asked".

Saban consistnetly gets the benefit of the doubt at the NFL level because of his success at the college level and for me one means nothing towards the other.

Edited by GunnerBill

Saban rushed back to college when he found out he didn't get 8 first round draft picks every year. Not as easy to win when you have an even playing field (more or less) and no games against Louisiana Tech,

haha that is a good way to put the difference between coaching at a big time program and hand picking every recruit you want and then exercising all control over them, and coaching in the NFL with draft, FA and salary cap.

I am not a fan of Cowherd but he sure does make a great point here. He compares hiring Saban to hiring Marrone.

I know this has been discussed before and if it the mods wish to close this, it's all cool. :) But if Saban leads the Crimson Tide to victory tomorrow, my fear as a Bama fan is that someone is going to offer him 10 million per season to coach in the NFL. It makes total sense even economically (as Cowherd explains).

Think about it if you will, Saban or Rex? :) Not such a tough decision, ya know?

Jmo.

Just like Belichick, one day Saban will retire anyways, you can't have him forever. Difference is though that Bama will still have a great program, no doubt about it.

Saban is 64 years old.

What is he legitimately going to be able to do in the NFL? Cowherd sounds cute but he doesn't have to make sense because he doesn't have to stand behind hit. IT would take him a year or two to get anywhere; in Bama he gets to sit behind the scenes and only do so much behind this machine that is larger than he is - Alabama has 10-12 years of success at the least because Saban has a legacy there.

It's the SEC - players want to play in the SEC. It's a big time school.

Saban's wife would never live in Buffalo. She didn't even like Miami. She wants to be the belle of the ball in some SEC college town. He's a good coach but I don't see him back in NFL.

This is the biggest factor in any decision he makes about the future. She handles everything outside of football and has a very strong opinion about how her husband should be viewed and treated. He will never get the kind of controlled environment he has at Bama. She insisted on and received what amounts to a royal family like setting. She hated Miami -- it went far beyond what was portrayed in the media at that time -- simply put--she will never be satisfied with the lack of control she would have in any NFL franchise unless she had an "owners" like say. That is not happening in Buffalo or anywhere else.

15-17 in the NFL.

Nick Saban might just be the greatest college coach that ever lived. In the NFL he is just a guy.

He knows that. He is not coming back.

Better comparison may be Pete Carroll. Sucked as an nfl coach for the pats, perfected his craft in college and dominated for years, then returned to nfl and did very well.

Marrone comparison is asinine as he has never dominated at anything. Just took a mediocre college team and made them an average to above average college team. Did the same thing with the bills.

Saban was also an NFL coach with Darth Belichick before he went to the dark side.

Saban could be very successful in the NFL. In Miami his QBs were:

Dante Culpepper who came in with a busted up knee and never recovered

Joey "cutie pie" Harrington

Cleo Lemon

In light of that, a 15-17 record looks amazing.

Better comparison may be Pete Carroll. Sucked as an nfl coach for the pats, perfected his craft in college and dominated for years, then returned to nfl and did very well.

There are two important differences for me in comparing Carroll to Saban.

First - in 4 years as an NFL HC Carroll was actually 33-31 he had a 6-10 with the Jets followed by two winning seasons and an 8-8 in New England.

Second - he was FIRED. He didn't quit and run off to college. He was fired - college was the way to rebuild his reputation. Part of the reason I am so convinced Saban would not be a successful NFL Head Coach is because of the way he quit and ran away in Miami as soon as it got hard.

As for people listing the QBs he had.... that excuse doesn't get made for anyone else does it? Marrone had Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and Kyle Orton... Pettine had Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw, McCown, Davis..... There are plenty of NFL Head Coaches who have been sunk by bad Quarterback play... but the one guy who seems to get the benefit of the doubt is Nick Saban. He gets it because of what he has done in college and in my opinion that counts for diddly squat in the pros.