There needs to be a new NFL rule

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the rule should be if you lead with the crown, you're ejected

Yup. Ejections are the only way to stop this crap. That was a clear case of lowering and leading with the crown. In college, the player is ejected.

The Stanford player was wrongly ejected for targeting as he led with his shoulder but most of they time they get it right in college - Ohio State's Bosa was a good call.

Any turnover caused by a blow to the head should not count. What Shazier did to Bernard is exactly what Jacksonville did to LeSean McCoy. Why are any blows to the head allowed?

Agree. I thought the refs did a good job under difficult circumstances tonight, but they definitely missed this one.

No, the rule should be if you lead with the crown, you're ejected

yes. but maybe also something.

"if a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, spearing, leading with the helmet, clipping, or any type of personal foul is called on a penalty where the imposing player penalized is to cause a fumble than the play is ruled a dead ball at the spot of the infraction and the team shall retain possession."

in other words, if you horse collar a player or generate a personal foul type of penalty against the offensive player in which the ball is fumbled the ball is a dead and the play is dead.

yes. but maybe also something.

"if a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, spearing, leading with the helmet, clipping, or any type of personal foul is called on a penalty where the imposing player penalized is to cause a fumble than the play is ruled a dead ball at the spot of the infraction and the team shall retain possession."

in other words, if you horse collar a player or generate a personal foul type of penalty against the offensive player in which the ball is fumbled the ball is a dead and the play is dead.

If a penalty was called then the team can't lose a fumble.

Any turnover caused by a blow to the head should not count. What Shazier did to Bernard is exactly what Jacksonville did to LeSean McCoy. Why are any blows to the head allowed?

This is a football game. Players move at various speeds. Shazier caught Bernard, but Bernard was also trying to get low. I don't mind a call like the one on Burfict at the end, when it's obvious, but defenders have to be able to tackle opposing players. Just like the flag on Ioka was bad. He hit Wheaton with his shoulder and gets a personal foul.

because he is not a defenseless receiver when he turns to run. Should every RB that fumbles not count when they get hit in the head.

Yup. Ejections are the only way to stop this crap. That was a clear case of lowering and leading with the crown. In college, the player is ejected.

The Stanford player was wrongly ejected for targeting as he led with his shoulder but most of they time they get it right in college - Ohio State's Bosa was a good call.

Bad call

Very good sir! I concur

I would go for a targeting penalty like they use in college. The hit by Burfict on Brown is a perfect example. That type of hit should result in an ejection. I can't stand to see that type of play anymore and I didn't even watch the Concussion movie yet! I think that type of thing is as bad as PEDs for the NFL. I nearly got sick watching the 2-3 replays CBS ran off. I turned to another channel.

That's obviously what's wrong with the game...not enough judgement rules.

<_<

The solution to that dilemma is to give review power to the officials on a "targeting" penalty so they can make sure it fits the definition. They review so much stuff anyway, why not add an occasional review for a personal foul?

Mike Carey said there was no problem

According to the current rules. The OP is advocating for a rule change, not complaining about a misapplication of current rules.

There are a lot of the NFL rules that make no sense or are not common sense oriented at all !

The rule you talk about is one because it's different for a runner than it is a WR & the catch rule is so stupid it's not even funny . A RB can cross the goal line & fumble the ball going to the ground but if a WR catches the ball & goes to the ground after crossing the goal line & fumbles it's not a catch ??? :doh:

Plus i thought that the ground can't cause a fumble & if your knee or your elbow & another part of your body touches the ground you are down ? But not if you are in the process of catching a ball ?

Makes no sense ! Sounds like they hired politicians to make up those rules ...

Agreed, the refs missed the spear directly to Bernards jaw. As for Burfict...well that dude should be banned from the NFL. Not only is he an out of control douche bag most of the time he probably cost Marvin Lewis his job. Side note...Deion Sanders embarrassed himself defending the hit on Brown as unavoidable. Yeah, not quite bud.

Wow, Sanders defended Burfict???

What game was he watching?

Yes Bernard did make a football move, I mean, he gets the ball facing backwards and he hás to turn around to run upfield. I get it, however he was still defenseless there. If he wasnt, he would havê prepared himself better by ducking maybe. Dont you guys think?

On the other hand lets stick to the Rules. He made a football move, Shazier perfectly read the play. Does Bernard deserve a helmet to the face? Couldnt Shazier wrap him up or just make a strong tackle?

This is whats wrong with the game. Guys are bigger, faster, stronger and.. Make millions of dollars.

One can parse the rule book all day and not eliminate the poor officiating in the NFL. In games between the Bills and [write NFL team name here], close calls will not favor the Bills until such time as the Bills evolve to consistent NFL-caliber play.