Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge Gilmore fan here. He was my defensive MVP this year. And really helped mentor Darby. The guy is a stud and fits this scheme like a glove. He has it all - size, speed, ability to play press man and zone. Outstanding skill set and work ethic. I don't really care how "elite" is defined but there will be a team to hand him an enormous contract and I really hope it is this one.

Watching corner play around the league it's very hard not to appreciate Gilmore's game.

Huge Gilmore fan here. He was my defensive MVP this year. And really helped mentor Darby. The guy is a stud and fits this scheme like a glove. He has it all - size, speed, ability to play press man and zone. Outstanding skill set and work ethic. I don't really care how "elite" is defined but there will be a team to hand him an enormous contract and I really hope it is this one.

Watching corner play around the league it's very hard not to appreciate Gilmore's game.

Serious questions, NOT a wisecrack: How many games would you say he won us?

Now, has he lost us any games?

He's played 53 of 64 possible games in his career with a full 16 games in his rookie year.

This is impressive?

I prefer big ass

Continue reading

Gilmore is a a really good CB, but I wouldn't put him in elite status as say a Sherman or Peterson or Chris Harrris or Talib. Top 15 probably. Darby will end up being better than Gilmore.

This.

Darby is better now, IMO.

He's not even the best CB on the team.

Elite? No.

You're not lying.

If RR is still HC in 2016 I'm sure they'll re-sign Gilmore to a long term contract because the defensive scheme demands it.

There are pros and cons to re-signing him to a big long term deal, and in reality too many to discuss here.

But cap management is going to be a big issue with OBD unless they stop being go-for-broke each season.

I would try to trade Gilmore this year. Aim for a a high 2nd or low 1st. McKelvin is a solid #2 CB. I think it's a smart way to manage the cap. With Mario savings and Gilmore savings you can sign a top NT, Ss, and LB.

This makes no sense to me. He's a key player on defense. You need excellent CB play in this league to succeed on defense. He and Darby are an outstanding tandem.

This makes no sense to me. He's a key player on defense. You need excellent CB play in this league to succeed on defense. He and Darby are an outstanding tandem.

Yup. You need two of them to win in the modern NFL. Lock up Gilmore and you don't need to spend another top pick on a CB (and hope he works out). If they let him walk you can be sure there will be another first round CB taken in 2017-18.

If RR is still HC in 2016 I'm sure they'll re-sign Gilmore to a long term contract because the defensive scheme demands it.

There are pros and cons to re-signing him to a big long term deal, and in reality too many to discuss here.

But cap management is going to be a big issue with OBD unless they stop being go-for-broke each season.

Every team prefers two stud CB's, but I think Rex's scheme only requires one. At least, that's how it was in his early Jets coaching days. I'd wait and see how Darby does next year and make a decision on how much $$ to throw at Gilmore. That said, I love Gilmore and want to see him stay here at the right price.

Just remember Gilmore's deal will be in the 1st couple years when Darby needs a deal. It's going to be impossible to have both CBs at 12+ million cap hits.

I make my decision now, who is projected to be the best, that's why Whaley gets paid. Trade 1 now and maximize value.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Agreed, but doesn't this make post 26 something to strongly consider? Count me as one who would take a first round pick for Gilmore in a second.

It really is telling that there are better ideas on this board than in the heads of Bills management.

He's done that at least two times and really has to find a way to improve his tackling technique.

Been more than too much. He usually can come back though. I wonder how many times he has given himself a concussion

I don't know if it's Gilmore, or what he's being asked to do - but he seems to be on the scene when many passes are completed. since an OC can make a conscious decision to avoid throwing to the side of the field where he expects to find Gilmore defending - yet chooses not to - says something about that OC's confidence in making plays against Stephon.

all season I've heard fans and announcers repeating the rhetoric of how Gilmore is having a 'great' season. apparently, PFF concurs.. but for the reason given above, I don't agree. great - or elite - defenders are not challenged very often because there's little chance of being successful doing that. he's played well, but I don't think Stephon scares anyone.. certainly not enough to make them avoid attacking him.

It's not my money, but I would draft or sign another young CB - and let him go FA after next season. I think there are plenty of young athletes playing ball, who can be as effective as Gilmore

I think Darby is more feared. Just looks like with the exception of a few, QBs look the other way.

Serious questions, NOT a wisecrack: How many games would you say he won us?

Now, has he lost us any games?

Probably a wash. None and none?