Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

What's Gilmore's cap # for 2016 w/o a contract? And what would we reduce it to if we gave him a top 5 CB contract?

My contention is that it's not like Gilmore is going to play himself into a higher contract in 2016, you know? Hard to get higher than a top 5 contract.

I hear you but I don't think he needs to play into a higher contract (he knows he'll get paid if he gets to free agency, the film doesn't lie), but he probably doesn't want to play next season on a one year deal considering his injury history. It's in both the team's and his best interest to work out an extension this year with the Bills that gives him some security along with a nice signing bonus.

His cap number will be $11 million and change heading into this off season, I have to believe he's a prime candidate to get an extension and lower that number in '16 by a smidge.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's only played 15 games, it's too early to say Darby is elite.

Darby also has to prove a lot more before he can even be declared the best CB on the Bills roster. His early season performance (which was dynamic, all of his INTs and 11 of his 21 PDs came in the first quarter of the season, ) was at least partially helped by Gilmore's equally stellar play against the opponents #1 WR.

Once Gilmore went down, Darby's play declined as he was asked to take a bigger role.

The kid has plenty of game, but Gilmore is still the best CB on this roster and he is a leader in the room.

Yup. Kiko looked elite his first 8 games too.

I think Darby will be fine but agree it's way too early to say he'll be the new #1. Not to mention, you need two. They should make every effort to keep Gilmore.

They can't wait until next year to decide on Gilmore though, which is why you have to extend him. Gilmore has 1 year left but his cap number is too high. Extending him now gets you a more reasonable cap figure for this year (and in the future) and allows them to structure the deal so you keep Gilmore and Darby together (arguably the top CB duo in the league) at low cap numbers through Darby's rookie deal which doesn't expire until '19. If Overdorf does the deal right, the Bills could walk away from Gilmore at the end of Darby's rookie deal, just in time to lock Darby in long term.

Letting Gilmore go now would be foolish.

This makes sense. I bet this exact scenario is what management is thinking.

They can't wait until next year to decide on Gilmore though, which is why you have to extend him. Gilmore has 1 year left but his cap number is too high. Extending him now gets you a more reasonable cap figure for this year (and in the future) and allows them to structure the deal so you keep Gilmore and Darby together (arguably the top CB duo in the league) at low cap numbers through Darby's rookie deal which doesn't expire until '19. If Overdorf does the deal right, the Bills could walk away from Gilmore at the end of Darby's rookie deal, just in time to lock Darby in long term.

Letting Gilmore go now would be foolish.

THis is the ideal scenario

It is my opinion but when Whaley talks about Tyrod Taylor and "he needs to prove it before he gets his contract"

WHat he really is saying is "We cant afford to pay Tyrod yet because we need to get Glenn, Incognito, and Gilmore into new contracts first"

Yup. Kiko looked elite his first 8 games too.

I think Darby will be fine but agree it's way too early to say he'll be the new #1. Not to mention, you need two. They should make every effort to keep Gilmore.

Since when? I keep hearing this and it's just not true. There's never ever been an adage in the NFL that you need two elite CB's. Ever.

I hear you but I don't think he needs to play into a higher contract (he knows he'll get paid if he gets to free agency, the film doesn't lie), but he probably doesn't want to play next season on a one year deal considering his injury history. It's in both the team's and his best interest to work out an extension this year with the Bills that gives him some security along with a nice signing bonus.

His cap number will be $11 million and change heading into this off season, I have to believe he's a prime candidate to get an extension and lower that number in '16 by a smidge.

If we lower the '16 cap number significantly, I could see it. I suppose lumping together the CB's as a whole makes it easier to swallow.

I said this last year (and I was dead wrong for a numerous of factors) but I believed that Whaley has to knock out a draft in order to get this team over the hump. I'm talking an All-Pro player either out of the box, and/or a very good starter in the late rounds. Like how the Seahawks grabbed a couplel All-Pros in the 5th that turned their team around. It looks like that will again be the case, Gilmore extension or no. Clearly I was wrong before because Darby played at a huge level last draft and we still didn't get over the hump, but I'm going for .500. I don't think being inactive in FA and drafting a couple role players is gonna do it.

Since when? I keep hearing this and it's just not true. There's never ever been an adage in the NFL that you need two elite CB's. Ever.

If we lower the '16 cap number significantly, I could see it. I suppose lumping together the CB's as a whole makes it easier to swallow.

I said this last year (and I was dead wrong for a numerous of factors) but I believed that Whaley has to knock out a draft in order to get this team over the hump. I'm talking an All-Pro player either out of the box, and/or a very good starter in the late rounds. Like how the Seahawks grabbed a couplel All-Pros in the 5th that turned their team around. It looks like that will again be the case, Gilmore extension or no. Clearly I was wrong before because Darby played at a huge level last draft and we still didn't get over the hump, but I'm going for .500. I don't think being inactive in FA and drafting a couple role players is gonna do it.

One of the things that would help would be releasing Mario WIlliams and drafting his replacement (who comes in and looks fantastic I hope)

NO one other than bills Fans know who he is.

his missed 11 games in 4 years. At this rate, he will have missed almost 1 full season after 5 seasons.

Just glad to see that Im not the only one who thinks he is good, but nothing more than that.

NO one other than bills Fans know who he is.

his missed 11 games in 4 years. At this rate, he will have missed almost 1 full season after 5 seasons.

Just glad to see that Im not the only one who thinks he is good, but nothing more than that.

I'll guarantee you NFL Front Office Personnel Men know exactly who he is.

I'll guarantee you NFL Front Office Personnel Men know exactly who he is.

Ok.

You are one hell of a poster and bring lots of great information to the board. Im gonna have to politely disagree with your manlove on Gilmore. Average player. Not even on the reserve list for probowl.

Ok.

You are one hell of a poster and bring lots of great information to the board. Im gonna have to politely disagree with your manlove on Gilmore. Average player. Not even on the reserve list for probowl.

That's just fine, but since when is the Pro Bowl a true measure of any kind of player excellence?

I would say its somewhat of a measure. Would you not think its "somewhat" of a measure?

I agree that it is, but many guys make the Pro Bowl on rep vs actual production on the field. For me, it's what I see in the games that I watch whether live or via gamepass.

I agree that it is, but many guys make the Pro Bowl on rep vs actual production on the field. For me, it's what I see in the games that I watch whether live or via gamepass.

Same here. funny how we have different views isnt it? But like I said above. Im not the only that has the same point of view.

There were 2 games this year where the team went after him for a full drive and scored a TD. Im talking about passing 3-4 times in a row against him and the team marching 50-80 yards.

Oh well, enough of beating a dead horse.

Same here. funny how we have different views isnt it? But like I said above. Im not the only that has the same point of view.

There were 2 games this year where the team went after him for a full drive and scored a TD. Im talking about passing 3-4 times in a row against him and the team marching 50-80 yards.

Oh well, enough of beating a dead horse.

Yep. Fair enough.

Given his propensity to get injured, I would let him play for his contract next year. The downside is that you're giving a guy $11+ million that will count against the cap. If he earns it, you pay him. If he doesn't earn it, you don't. So many fans fail to understand that there isn't one team in the NFL that can choose to be cheap now. The CBA REQUIRES teams to spend roughly 98.5% of the cap. Anything less than that and they pay it as a penalty. So what's the incentive for a team to actually pay less? Nothing. At the end of the day, I like Gilmore. I don't think he's as good as Darby, but he's good.

This... i thought it was just me who understood cap rules. Ralph too would have had to spend.

what does Gilmore mentoring Darby have to do with Darby not being the better player?

We need to look realistically.....not gonna be able to keep everyone

Gilmore is not better than Hughes either. Different skill sets and Hughes makes more of an impact.

This in a nutshell captures it. Every year, there's numerous idiot fans out there that think the Bills should be in the market for every high end free agent out there, and of course re-sign every player to ridiculous contracts. It's just not realistic. Some of those same people are clamoring to use a high round draft pick on a quarterback to serve as a backup. To what purpose? I'm in no more of a hurry for the Bills to give Gilmore a new deal than I am Tyrod Taylor. Earn it and we'll see what happens. Elite players at some positions make average players at other positions just fine.

Spoken like you know what you are talking about... Kudos!!!