Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is devolving to the toilet.

Does a thread with a solid start devolve quickly?

I'm thinking radiation half-lives .. can this thread be dead by tonight?

Or, in Army terms, it's never to late beat a dead horse to death again.

At this point, 17 pages of carp.

So don't read it. You thought 17 pages in we were going to evolve into a well balanced discussion where the merits of all parties involved are equally considered and everyone's opinion is valued? Come on, dude this is a football message board. Go grab a beer out of the fridge :flirt: , turn up your foreigner cassette tapes, and ignore your family while we spew vitriol daily for the next eight months.

If they keep the same MO as last year. Everybody but the Pegulas are staying at a hotel two blocks from where I live. Should I go down there and give them a collective piece of our mind? And tell them how to fix everything?

Sure! Great notion! Buy him a beer from me.

Ok, but first I would like to discuss exactly how to fix the team and once we are all in agreement I will head over the hotel.

Well, then. Better get comfy right where you are.

I think the best part of Whaley signing the extension will be reading Sully's column this week. And Vic may be a close second!

Here's a preview:

"Whaley's extension means nothing, because Pegula fired Regier after extending him too. There's still an ultimatum."

Link?

There is no link either way that proves or disproves that Whaley "hired" Rex Ryan. We are all left to make some supposition based on the information that is out there. Personally I see nothing anywhere that suggest Whaley was anything but on board with the hire. That is a step removed from "Whaley hired him." I believe the Pegulas hired Rex Ryan - but I have to believe that if Doug Whaley strongly opposed the hire or had a strong preference for one of the other candidates he would have tried to talk the Pegulas out of it and there is no suggestion that he did (if he did hold that view but didn't try and talk them out of it then he is worthless as a GM regardless).

I believe it is quite possible that Whaley liked other candidates - I have it on relatively good authority that he was very keen on Hue Jackson and there are reports out there from Michael Silver (who I know is a Jackson lover) that Jackson felt he and Whaley had connected during the interview process. However, he obviously felt good about Rex too and if that was the way the Pegulas were going he was "all in" and believed it would work. I can see that - what they talked about at the introductory press conference both being schooled in the hard nosed AFC North etc - leads me to believe they both thought they were of one mind. Whether they still think that is a different question.

What is the conclusion to all that? I don't think anyone can say "Whaley hired Rex" and I don't think anyone can say Whaley was anything other than totally "on board" with the hire.

I hope you're just being funny with that statement?

Are you optimistic? That's a serious question. If so, please tell me why so I can try to see some light at the end of this 16-year tunnel.

There is no link either way that proves or disproves that Whaley "hired" Rex Ryan. We are all left to make some supposition based on the information that is out there. Personally I see nothing anywhere that suggest Whaley was anything but on board with the hire. That is a step removed from "Whaley hired him." I believe the Pegulas hired Rex Ryan - but I have to believe that if Doug Whaley strongly opposed the hire or had a strong preference for one of the other candidates he would have tried to talk the Pegulas out of it and there is no suggestion that he did (if he did hold that view but didn't try and talk them out of it then he is worthless as a GM regardless).

I believe it is quite possible that Whaley liked other candidates - I have it on relatively good authority that he was very keen on Hue Jackson and there are reports out there from Michael Silver (who I know is a Jackson lover) that Jackson felt he and Whaley had connected during the interview process. However, he obviously felt good about Rex too and if that was the way the Pegulas were going he was "all in" and believed it would work. I can see that - what they talked about at the introductory press conference both being schooled in the hard nosed AFC North etc - leads me to believe they both thought they were of one mind. Whether they still think that is a different question.

What is the conclusion to all that? I don't think anyone can say "Whaley hired Rex" and I don't think anyone can say Whaley was anything other than totally "on board" with the hire.

I think that's fair. The idea that Pegula overruled Whaley on the HC seems absurd, has no evidence to support it (other than it would be a knock against Whaley and the only thing we know for sure is that Whaley is nearly flawless) yet it is so often repeated as fact. The avoidance of cognitive dissonance is amazingly powerful

As much as I was displeased with how this season went, I'm pretty happy with our talent levels on the team. I'm willing to give Doug and Rex a few more years, to see if we can do it. I want to see some continuity for a while.

If it fails, then so be it, we start over (again), but I don't think much will be gained by changing coaches every couple of years, and GMs every three years.

I think that's fair. The idea that Pegula overruled Whaley on the HC seems absurd, has no evidence to support it (other than it would be a knock against Whaley and the only thing we know for sure is that Whaley is nearly flawless) yet it is so often repeated as fact. The avoidance of cognitive dissonance is amazingly powerful

Avoidance of cognitive dissonance? I'm fine admitting that I had to look it up, so if I'm misunderstanding the theory, please forgive me.

Since no one (in this thread, so far) knows whose call it was to bring Rex in, what would possibly make any of us suddenly say, "hmmm, you know what? I was wrong," and subsequently change our beliefs?

It's my belief, based on zero facts, that if Whaley had control of the HC hire, that Rex would never have been here. it's others' belief that Whaley had to have given his blessing.

There are a select few TBD users, and even fewer members of the media, who I'd believe if they told me which one was true. Until it comes from a reliable source, it's all just our opinions.

So don't read it. You thought 17 pages in we were going to evolve into a well balanced discussion where the merits of all parties involved are equally considered and everyone's opinion is valued? Come on, dude this is a football message board. Go grab a beer out of the fridge :flirt: , turn up your foreigner cassette tapes, and ignore your family while we spew vitriol daily for the next eight months.

Lol @ the Foreigner cassette. Nice work.

Avoidance of cognitive dissonance? I'm fine admitting that I had to look it up, so if I'm misunderstanding the theory, please forgive me.

Since no one (in this thread, so far) knows whose call it was to bring Rex in, what would possibly make any of us suddenly say, "hmmm, you know what? I was wrong," and subsequently change our beliefs?

It's my belief, based on zero facts, that if Whaley had control of the HC hire, that Rex would never have been here. it's others' belief that Whaley had to have given his blessing.

There are a select few TBD users, and even fewer members of the media, who I'd believe if they told me which one was true. Until it comes from a reliable source, it's all just our opinions.

That's fair too. And my comment about CD wasn't just WRT to your comment. If I didn't know better I'd think it was established fact that Whaley was dead set against Rex and Pegula forced him on him based on some of the posts here.

So we're now assuming that Whaley hires Rex's staff?

No. I am assuming that Whaley had, or should have had some say on the issue. The new Ryan is employed and paid by the Bills. Whaley is the General Manager.

It seems trendy, W/L records notwithstanding, to absolve Whaley for any and all blame for this mess over which he presides, but doing so does not necessarily equate to accuracy.